Ethernet Cable for Data Link

deltagator

Ethernet Cable for Data Link

Post by deltagator »

Just registered and amazed by this resource. Having just ordered USBASP AVR programmer, I was wondering if anybody had used an Rj45 or RJ48 socket for flash plug and a ethernet cable. If not do you think this would work? I just threw away a big box of computer guts, I knew I would have regrets. Thanks for sharing.

Malcurin

Re: Ethernet Cable for Data Link

Post by Malcurin »

i have that inside mine Westy did the mod, The cable is very stiff and tends to come away from the solder very easily, my advise is don't use it, get some softer cable from an electronics store and save yourself some re soldering time
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

get some cable from a parallel printer cable in disuse.
BTW the rj45 or rj48 female socket are big
Malcurin

Post by Malcurin »

Or even a hard drive 40 pin cable, IDE the old style they are good
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I used cat5 cable and wish I hadnt. It is a solid cable and the wires break after some movement. You are getting good advise when they say use an ide or similar cable with stranded wire. As far as the rj45, I mounted my usbasp internally and put a micro usb socket where the original antenna was located. Used that plastic morphing compound (sparkfun and others, just add hot water) to finish it . It's one of the few things I got right the first time :)

Irish Steve

Post by Irish Steve »

Cat 5 cable used for long haul is indeed single cored, and can break, but patch cat 5 cable, which is specifically labelled as such, and should be used for short rack cables and the like, is not single cored, it's flex, like ribbon cable, so much more suitable. The one downside is that the external shroud is a heavy lump of extra plastic that for sure will get in the way at some stage. The other possible downside is that Cat 5 is twisted pairs, which when being used for signal transfer is good, but for data transfer that's not using a pair, it may suffer from some cross talk, which is not ideal.
Irish Steve

If it was easy, shure, would't we all be doin it?

_
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I have some single cored cat5 in my radios. It is fine, since ideally you won't be taking your radio apart alot. The trick with the programmer cord is to make it as short as possible. For inside the radio remove the outer jacket and try to route it where you won't have to move it again.
-Gohst

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”