UART Joystick Mode

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
saragold

UART Joystick Mode

Post by saragold »

Good afternoon,

I'm working with the Taranis X9D plus 2019 controller. I want to configure my controller such that 1) radio is disabled and 2) all commands that would normally be transmitted over radio (ex joystick commands) are instead sent over a uart connection.

I'm interested in this because the USB joystick mode (over a micro usb connection) is quite unstable. I'm hoping uart will be more reliable.

I've been playing around with various uart configurations. A standard ground control software on my mac recognizes the incoming connection. However, the ground control software does not recognize the device attached to the connection as a joystick.

What would be useful for me is if someone could validate (or poke holes in) my general approach. I think with the correct model settings and uart configuration, my "uart joystick" should just work. I don't think there are any firmware changes needed -- just tell the model to use the external rf, and hook the external rf up to some cables. Do you agree?

Thanks so much!
- Sara

Kilrah

Re: UART Joystick Mode

Post by Kilrah »

saragold wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:21 pm just tell the model to use the external rf, and hook the external rf up to some cables. Do you agree?
For the principle of getting data out yes, but your problem is that nothing on the PC side will turn that data into a generic joystick, whatever receives that data would have to be designed to receive the format you set the radio to output.
saragold

Re: UART Joystick Mode

Post by saragold »

I see -- I guess I would need some layer between the controller and QGroundControl, for example? Any ideas on places to start?

Thanks so much for the response!

Return to “Hardware”