Radioking TX18s Black screen

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
georgem15

Radioking TX18s Black screen

Post by georgem15 »

I just purchased a Radioking TX18S and after only a few minutes of operating it will not boot up or talk to my PC via USB. When it was working the menus where all in Chinese but there was English mixed in for some things. I was able to find the SD card and it had Edge TX 2.5. Is there any way to get it to re-load its operating system? I was looking in one of the menu items trying to find all English when it just shut down but being Chinese I'm not sure what it was.
I've tried loading Edge companion onto 3 different computers but none talk with it coming up with no Radio or SD card connected.

kalle123

Re: Radioking TX18s Black screen

Post by kalle123 »

georgem15 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:36 am I just purchased a Radioking TX18S and after only a few minutes of operating it will not boot up or talk to my PC via USB.
Send the radio back to the one, who sold it to you!

cu KH
georgem15

Post by georgem15 »

Thanks for taking the time to Reply. I got it from an Aliexpress shop but no need to return it as I managed to get it going by watching a YouTube from "Joshua Bardwell" on how to re-flash open source radios. Seems what I had done fumbling through the Chinese menu had corrupted the firmware.
Quite disappointing that it was shipped to Australia without being setup for English and I ordered it as Mode 1 but they sent Mode 2. I've done the rather fiddly mode swap and now just got to decide if I'll keep it EdgeTX 2.5 or change to OpenTX. I have a Taranis with Multi module that I can drive reasonably well and quite like OpenTX.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

#1 - When an Aliexpress dealer send you an item, which is not correctly setup, I would open a dispute and my personal experience with Aliexpress is, that at least you get a rebate.

#2 - Your radio has a touch screen and you might never see an OTX version, which will support that feature, so my personal advice, flash edgeTX 2.7 on that radio. ;)

Both my Taranis radios are on OTX 2.2.4, but my X10S Express is on edgeTX 2.7.

br KH
georgem15

Post by georgem15 »

I did leave negative feedback which seemed satisfying enough. One thing was strange in that the radio came with an SD card a pair of 18650 batteries, not sure if the SD card was meant to be in it but according to the shop site the battery is not included. I'm starting to think it may have been used as some sort of demo radio but it's mine now and happy so far. Other thing I noticed when I had the back off to change modes it has 5in1 printed on the internal TX board.
I will try and load Edgetx 2.7 onto it but I'm struggling with finding the SD card contents for that version, I have found the 2.7 bin file but the only SD card contents I can find are only around 1.5mb which doesn't seem big enough to me.
I used it today flying a little plane and it feels very nice in the hand and super responsive with the hall gimbals.

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Find the instruction, how to install edgeTX here

https://github.com/EdgeTX/edgetx.github ... tion-Guide

And my personal advice, use a second SD cards, so you have one card for OTX and one for edgeTX. Makes changing between the two system easy like that ....

cu KH

... and for your questions on edgeTX >> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ion-Thread

Return to “Hardware”