Taranis QX7 Won't power on fully, but can access bootloader

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
ryskream

Taranis QX7 Won't power on fully, but can access bootloader

Post by ryskream »

When trying to power on my Taranis, it just makes a clicking noise, screen stays white for a second, and it shuts off again. I have tried every fix I've found online, nothing seems to be working. I can get into the bootloader, and it lets me reflash the firmware via the SD card, but it still doesn't turn on after doing so. When trying to flash via OpenTX Companion, it gives me an error that says "No valid DFU suffix signature Warning: File has no DFU suffix.:

I've also tried going with the "Restore EEPROM" setting in the bootloader. It goes to the screen that says "Hold [ENT] to Start" and I hold enter, and the radio freezes. Exit button won't back me out, I have to yank the battery just to get it to go back to the bootloader.

I saw other fixes about pulling out the watch battery in there (did it), trying new batteries (did that as well) and pretty much everything else Google turned up. Has anyone had this issue and know how to fix it?

Kilrah

Re: Taranis QX7 Won't power on fully, but can access bootloader

Post by Kilrah »

Flash the correct firmware with radio powered off after installing the proper driver with Zadig.
ryskream

Post by ryskream »

Tried, still not working. I even tried multiple different firmware versions for good measure. I tried the most current OpenTX, a TBS nightly build, and the original FrSky firmware. I also uninstalled the STM32 Bootloader drivers, and reinstalled with Zadig. I reinstalled OpenTX companion entirely as well, no luck.
ryskream

Post by ryskream »

For all intents and purposes, the firmware appears to be flashing. In addition to the radio-off method, I put the firmware on the SD card and flashed via the radio bootloader. It went through the motions, said "writing complete" and all. I hit exit (which would normally reboot the radio and turn on normally) and the screen just freezes white, and makes the same single click sound from the speaker.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Maybe connect via usb, connect to companion, read models and settings then save the file as a backup, then create a new blank document and write that to the radio.

If that still doesn't work then there's likely a hardware issue.

ryskream

Post by ryskream »

Must be a hardware thing. Whenever I try to backup from radio the companion freezes for a minute and says "Can't read from RADIO/radio.bin". The radio also freezes, it gets stuck on the screen that says "USB connected." I tried doing the battery out method too, but then the companion says there's no radio connected. This sucks, its barely a month old :/ Thank you for your help, Kilrah!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That would suggest you have the wrong radio type selected in companion.
ryskream

Post by ryskream »

It’s definitely the correct one, I have a QX7 Access, and am selecting the “FrSky Taranis X7 / X7 Access” option within the OpenTX companion
ryskream

Post by ryskream »

I just tried purposely flashing the wrong one (the ACCST/original QX7 version) just to see what would happen, and it wouldn't turn on with that one either. I'm now assuming what's happening has to do with whatever EEPROM is. That seems to be the main thing that isn't flashing for me, through neither the OpenTX companion nor on the radio itself.
BadLuckFPV

Post by BadLuckFPV »

I fixed mine! I was having the same problem as you. Would boot up only in bootloader. Wouldn't boot up to the main OS.

The solution. Replacing the main boards battery.

If you open your qx7 and look at the main board, on the right side there is a CR1220 3v button battery. After replacing mine it booted up normally.

Let me know if this works for you!
Chuckles24

Post by Chuckles24 »

BadLuckFPV wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:48 pm I fixed mine! I was having the same problem as you. Would boot up only in bootloader. Wouldn't boot up to the main OS.

If you open your qx7 and look at the main board, on the right side there is a CR1220 3v button battery. After replacing mine it booted up normally.

That worked for me. Thanks a lot!
blader8228

Post by blader8228 »

Chuckles24 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:29 pm
BadLuckFPV wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:48 pm I fixed mine! I was having the same problem as you. Would boot up only in bootloader. Wouldn't boot up to the main OS.

That worked for me. Thanks a lot!
I just tried this. It seems you don't even have to replace the button battery. Simply removing it (I powered my transmitter on without a button battery installed and it booted fine, though I'm not sure if this is a necessary step) then placing it back in has fixed my problem. Thanks for the tip! I was getting ready to start ordering another radio :(
Herryashley22

Post by Herryashley22 »

I tried the most current OpenTX, a TBS nightly build, and the original FrSky firmware. I also uninstalled the STM32 Bootloader drivers, and reinstalled with Zadig. I reinstalled OpenTX companion entirely as well, no luck. video streaming

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”