9Xtreme being released to the public domain (opensource)

torturedau

Re: 9Xtreme being released to the public domain (opensource)

Post by torturedau »

The 12 pin ZH to PH cable is proving pretty hard to find. May have to resort to making them up myself after some of the quotes I got back. Even the cost of the tools is pretty outrageous(even aftermarket). I will get something figured out soon though :) Contacted JST directly so hopefully should get a quote back soon for like 30 units.

torturedau

Post by torturedau »

Whilst I am at all this I wouldn't mind seeing how much interest there is for assembled boards plus all the other hardware (speaker, rgb panel and foam pad, usb header and cables - No stickers though). They will be hand assembled units, price is probably going to really depend on interest, but even at only 5 units I can probably keep the price to around the same as what s_mac was keeping his.

I've already designed up a replacement header. I also have a small strip pcb for the RGB panel however I am still waiting on some pieces to prototype this before getting anything made up. Same thing, is going to depend on how much interest there is as to whether its worth going through getting stuff made or just making some stuff by hand.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I am interested in one that is assembled.

I just do not have the time get all the part to be assemble
and learn where everything goes
and to assemble then properly to the board.
Plus flashing the proper program to the chip.

Though it looks like a great hobby project that I wish I had the time to do,
it's just to much, because have to many other project waiting for me now.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Zabriel

Post by Zabriel »

PM sent
torturedau

Post by torturedau »

Taking forever for these packages to arrive... suspecting the coronavirus is playing a part ! :o

Zabriel

Post by Zabriel »

I heard that some countries stopped any import from China until the virus-crisis is over....
CKHawks3

Post by CKHawks3 »

I am also interested in an assembled board!
PMed
Zabriel

Post by Zabriel »

torturedau wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:19 am Taking forever for these packages to arrive... suspecting the coronavirus is playing a part ! :o
Any news? Some progress?
Galand

Post by Galand »

I would also be interested in an assembled board.
torturedau

Post by torturedau »

Still progress happening, albeit very slowly due to this virus getting around. Had a few different types of pogos finally arrive. 1 type is pretty close but still waiting on one final bag which are about 0.5mm longer.

Thanks to s_macs post on his site about the screws I think I may of had some success in tracking down the screws I needed too. Some of these have arrived.

Also had the IS31AP2005 finally arrive today. This will allow me to keep the boards a lot closer to original. Got a few speakers made up. Acrylic is also here so I can attempt to make up a backlight of some sort. If it works I'll look at getting some backlight pcbs made up along with some microusb header pcbs.

Cables unfortunately are still a problem. JST wanted over 10usd per 40mm long cable. Seems outrageous. I've ordered a heap of sh 12p and zh 12p tails and will probably just solder them together. Although, the waiting for these parts to arrive currently is taking it's toll. Anyways, once I actually have at least 1 or 2 working cables I should be in a position to start testing a few units. Hopefully I have a bit of success and I can look at ordering some more parts soon to lay out a few extra boards.
CKHawks3

Post by CKHawks3 »

Thanks for the update and all the great work you are putting into this!
mehulcp

Post by mehulcp »

Hi,
I would also be interested in a couple of boards. Can you add me to your list?
Zabriel

Post by Zabriel »

Thanks for the update!
rcmid

Post by rcmid »

Hi all,

I'm also very interested to make my own 9Xtreme board. Thx a lot for putting all of this time and effort into posting the details about the updated boards and the progress on making them.
I was looking at the updated BOM to see if I could source all components from mouser/digikey/farnell. I was able to find most components, but it proved impossible to find this part in stock anywhere: IC4 FLASH 8M S25FL208K.
According to several websites it is an obselete part. Any ideas were I can still find this part or if I can substitute it with a current part?
torturedau

Post by torturedau »

rcmid wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:23 pm According to several websites it is an obselete part. Any ideas were I can still find this part or if I can substitute it with a current part?
I personally purchased this component due to it being completely pin compatible. In fact I purchased 90% of all items from here. Please note I am still waiting for one last set of cables before I can test if it works or not.

https://lcsc.com/product-detail/FLASH_A ... 61758.html
torturedau

Post by torturedau »

Still waiting for cables... they seem to of gotten lost... i've ordered more... still waiting
Zabriel

Post by Zabriel »

And I am still waiting... :)
Mk9

Post by Mk9 »

Great to see this getting off the ground - I'd be keen on an assembled board, although fancy a blank one to have a go with too, if you have some spare...
torturedau

Post by torturedau »

Mk9 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:03 pm Great to see this getting off the ground - I'd be keen on an assembled board, although fancy a blank one to have a go with too, if you have some spare...
I still have about 15 blanks if you are interested in one. Postage times are probably a lot longer now.

Yesterday the last remaining connectors and tails rocked up. I have managed to make a cable today. Pogo's are on, which may of been a mistake because the mounts I was going to use aren't here yet. So I may just have to dodgy up something in the short term so I can get some testing happening on these assembled boards.

I'll keep everybody updated as events occur. :D
Zabriel

Post by Zabriel »

Good news! Thanks for the update.
torturedau

Post by torturedau »

Waiting for one last connector to make the wires for the usb so we can hopefully program this thing sometime during the next week or so... if everything goes well. (who knows lol)
Unclest18ds

Post by Unclest18ds »

Hi.. Does this 9xtreme kit still available... Would be blessed if i could get 2 complete set for my turnigy n flysky
Unclest18ds

Post by Unclest18ds »

Hi.
Is the 9xtreme kit still available anywhere..
Would be blessed if could get one set
How much would it cost?
Could someone help me...
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Unclest18ds,
The original 9XTreme kit was sold out in only a few months of it's release.
See here for more info: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... =95&t=7182

torturedau has had some new blank 9XTreme boards made and may still have some for sale.
If you are able to purchase a new blank 9XTreme board, you will need to purchase all the parts needed
and assemble them to the blank 9XTreme board.
You also would need to make all the other hardware items like cables and I believe the chip will need
to be flashed with Mike B start up firmware too.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Zabriel

Post by Zabriel »

torturedau wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:39 am Waiting for one last connector to make the wires for the usb so we can hopefully program this thing sometime during the next week or so... if everything goes well. (who knows lol)
Great news 8-)
torturedau

Post by torturedau »

Well, the last 2 days I have had a little bit of success and a failure. Managed to dodgy up a usb connection to get some stuff going. Fried 1 mcu on one board (didn't see it bridged even under the microscope). Another one not getting any response from. So at 50 percent so far :lol: :lol:

Just remember these were my very first smd soldering attempts. Had never really done anything like it. The 2 boards that work really do look nice and the other 2 are a little messy. Guessing they were the first 2. Such is life. Will get some new mcu's in the coming months and get them sorted out.

However I did get a couple of the others to respond. Managed to hear some voices and stuff. Got the firmware updated. Haven't had much time to play with anything else. Still have some buzzing coming from speaker but could be my wiring or soldering as it was slapped together rather quick. Could even be the alternate IC I used. I have some originals there but haven't soldered anything up. Will have to wait until I manage to get another component order together to make up a few more boards to test.

Noticed the led doesn't light up on the board. Not really sure when it is supposed to as I never had an original.

I know progress has been slow but still heading in the right direction. Will try to get a back light together, I should have most of the parts I need it's just a matter of getting the time. Same with overall testing of the unit.

So... slowly WINNING ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
installed-1.jpg
firmware-1.jpg
Zabriel

Post by Zabriel »

I admire your work. Keep up!
mrincredible

Post by mrincredible »

I am interested in one of your boards if you still have them. Do you plan on making more?
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

I have one Turnigy 9x with original 9xtreme installed with latest software A6r223, looks brand new. I will sell for 150 dollars American. PM me.
RVC

Post by RVC »

I am also interested in the status of ordering these boards. A blank board is fine for me.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”