9XR Pro not working with OrangeRx 2.4 Ghz telemetry module/OrangeRx R1220X 12CH 2.4Ghz receiver

Hardware Support for the 9XR
olafwillocx

9XR Pro not working with OrangeRx 2.4 Ghz telemetry module/OrangeRx R1220X 12CH 2.4Ghz receiver

Post by olafwillocx »

I have a 9XR Pro transmitter, an OrangeRx 2.4 GHz telemetry module and an OrangeRx R1220X 12ch 2.4 GHz receiver.

Links to HobbyKing:

9XR Pro: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-9xr ... tore=en_us
Module: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-2- ... tore=en_us
Receiver: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-r1 ... tore=en_us

I had to make a number of modifications for the module to link with 9XR Pro. I had to to set the protocol to DSM2 and I had to set the DSM to 9XR-DSM. I also set the FrSKy Com Port to 1 and set Invert Com 1 to On. This was suggested in a number of places.

With these modifications, the red LED on the module works and it actually attempts to link. While linking, the receiver module's blinking slows down. After that, it should become solid. I never get to this solid part. It blinks and afterwards cuts off. None of the ports function.

I made a video about the process here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY1bxpzTsCQ

Idk why it's not working. HobbyKing support suggests the module is broken. I got it to semi-work this morning. Only the aileron worked with a servo. No other port functioned.

Right now my plan is to return the module and the receiver and buy other ones that I am more confident of will actually work. Any module/receiver suggestions? I don't need anything fancy when it comes to the signal. It's not for a plane. I do need 3 (ideally 4) auxilary ports. The one I have now has 7 but maybe the problem lies with the receiver, idk. I just got started with this stuff.

It's really important for me to get this working. Thanks for the help!

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: 9XR Pro not working with OrangeRx 2.4 Ghz telemetry module/OrangeRx R1220X 12CH 2.4Ghz receiver

Post by MikeB »

Have you set the number of channels to 12 in the protocol menu?
Also, go to the telemetry menu and set the "Usr Proto" to DSM, then do the bind.
When you bind, the module sends back information indicating the required settings. If you don't have the "Usr Proto" correct I don't think this gets processed.
Given that there is a known problem with these modules binding to some "bind'n'fly" models (throttle doesn't work), I've re-flashed all my modules to use the Multi protocol.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
olafwillocx

Re: 9XR Pro not working with OrangeRx 2.4 Ghz telemetry module/OrangeRx R1220X 12CH 2.4Ghz receiver

Post by olafwillocx »

The number of channels was set to 8. Fixed that. I can't set the UsrProto to DSM. I can set it to FrHub, WSHhi, DSMx, Jeti, Mavlk and ArduP. It's set to DSMx for now. Unfortunately, no success. Getting the same result. Thanks for the help.
olafwillocx

Post by olafwillocx »

Hobbyking gave me store credit for the module and receiver. Quite surprised I didn't need to send the items back. Very good support.

Any suggestions as to what module/receiver combination I should get? I'm thinking the FrSky XJT and FrSKy X8R. Should be good for the current project (minimum 8 channels) and maybe a future plane too. How user friendly would this setup be with 9XR Pro?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That works on the 'PRO, no problem. Not only does the Rx give you the 8 servo outputs, but you also get a SBUS output with 16 channels on it.

Check your real time clock is operating correctly (e.g. the battery isn't flat). The COM 1 invert control signal is output by the RTC chip and doesn't work properly if the RTC isn't running. You need this serial signal to be able to receive the response to the bind operation.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”