wireless trainer

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
ShowMaster

wireless trainer

Post by ShowMaster »

I don't think there is a topic dedicated to making a wireless trainer with Frsky modules and RX's?
I'm starting this one.

Sub topics can be added for the differant setups, boards, and firmwares and non Frsky used.

My current systems are a Frsky er9x with telemetry mods and a ersky9x Frsky system. I can run any of the firmwares open9x or not on these systems. I own the latest 4CH RX as well as several 6 channel versions over the last year and many 8CH from D8R to D8R II Plus. No RX or DJT firmware updates have been done.
I would like to try a wireless trainer setup so all I need it advice on the best tx board, FW, and RX out of my collection to start with as well as any wiring diagrams.
I can use 2 9X TX's from stock, er9x, ersk9x and even a DX7 and several JR TX's as a Student and later as a Master just to shake things up at the field.
I do have a telemetry display question I just thought of, will the Master TX still show the telemetry data when the Student is flying on that TX? My thinking says yes but I'l ask anyway until I can try it.

I want to demo it at several fields I fly at so it has to be the best to stand up to the nay sayers!
SM

gohsthb

Re: wireless trainer

Post by gohsthb »

My set up is a simple one. I have yet to package it nicely but what I have working is a D4FR receiver (Frsky). I have the jumper installed between the CH3 and CH4 signal pins. This puts it into PPM output mode. Then I connected a mono audio jack to a servo extension. I have the signal wire to the end of the audio jack and the ground to the other side. Aside from that I have an old Rx battery and a switch.
Setup a simple 4-channel airplane on the student Tx. And bind it to the wireless receiver. All that is left is to plug the audio plug into the Instructor Tx and fly.
-Gohst

Also if a 9x with the telemetry options installed is used for the student Tx, it will tell you the battery voltage of your wireless unit.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Great I'll give it a try.
It there much/any latency/lag in the controls?
Thanks
SM
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I haven't flown that setup yet. I set it up to show off at a meeting I was going to. Looking in the 9x screen (instructor side) I didn't notice any lag.
-Gohst
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I've tested on the bench with frsky both between student and master and from master and plane, and yes there is quite some lag.

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”