TankER9X Firmware Compatibility with 9Xtreme

Cipher

TankER9X Firmware Compatibility with 9Xtreme

Post by Cipher »

Has anybody tried flashing the 9Xtreme upgrade board with the modded ER9X firmware called TankER9X (for RC Tanks)? I have two 9Xtreme boards and want to try modding one of them with the same firmware I used with an SP Basic board. I'm not afraid to experiment, but avoiding any known compatibility issues would be welcome. - Cheers!

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: TankER9X Firmware Compatibility with 9Xtreme

Post by MikeB »

The 9Xtreme uses an ARM processor and needs ersky9x (ersky9x9XT_rom.bin) flashed to it. er9x (or TANKer9x) cannot be used.

I asked to see the modified source files of TANKer9x, so I could consider including the changes in the standard build of er9x, but, so far, I haven't seen them. If I knew what the differencies are, I could add them to ersky9x as well.

ersky9x does include a feature to allow renaming of the 4 sticks so you are not 'stuck' with aircraft names when using ground vehicles.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
wombat67

Post by wombat67 »

Hi Mike

The only significant changes that are involved with tankER9X are the templates which are of course readily available with the actual firmware. Because most tanks are operated by a small number of control units the templates match these existing units. I'm quite sure that if you looked at the templates in tanker9x you could probably do a better job of coding than my basic attempt. That's pretty much it for tanker - and now as you mention with the ability to change the stick names it is not even necessary to mod the language file. The only other thing is the no Heli option is activated.

I've come to a brick wall with tanker as some of the mixes you sent me info on I have no idea whatsoever of converting into templates. So tanker remains at a version that is about 2 years old by now. Any further progress will depend on your help Mike with converting the mixes to template coding. For now any updates for tank controllers are done as model files (.eepm). However, many tankers have a great deal of difficulty understanding the difference between .eepe files, eepm files, templates, when to use Eepe or when to use eePesky.

The current templates.cpp file is now so hopelessly out of date that it will be a waste of your time looking at it but here it is:
http://rctanksaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 154&t=1048

Any useful update of tanker9X would have to involve me sending you a .eepe file with all of the updated templates loaded into the model slots and you would have to convert these to the coding needed for the templates.cpp file. I have only been able to make the edits to templates.cpp in the past by looking at how the release file is coded but with the new mixes there are no examples in the release file - so brickwall.

I guess tankers want these templates as it makes setup for them easy and they don't have to read the manual to learn how to program the 9X. Maybe if you could code one of the more complex setups then I could see what you have done and apply that to the others then send it onto you for inclusion.

I'd like tanker9X to continue but it would involve a bit of your time

Cheers
Kevin G
wombat67

Post by wombat67 »

Silly Me I forgot to mention in all the blurb above that the 9Xtreme is a great thing for R/C tanks - brilliant - Tanks needs switches and as you can see by my other posts - it's all about adding switches.

If you have a tank - get a 9X and a 9xtreme - simples

Cheers
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With ersky9x, if you have a working model you may use the BACKUP option to save it to the SD card. This is saved in .eepm format for use in eepskye. On er9x, if you have a voice module with a serial connection, this function is also available.

A .eepm file can be opened in eepskye (or eepe for er9x), edited, and written back to the SD card.
ersky9x also has a RESTORE option to restore models from the SD card.
So, rather than templates, on ersky9x, I think you could just save suitable .eepm files on the SD card, then users simply RESTORE any they want as a template.

ersky9x doesn't have a "No Heli" option in the build.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”