Fried Radio?

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
humblehacker

Fried Radio?

Post by humblehacker »

Hello,
I have a 9xr Pro that was performing as expected until yesterday when I tried inserting an OrangeRX OpenLRS module and the screen went dead. Now all that happens when I try to turn it on is an ominous buzzing sound and the blue light will come on. Previously, I had been using both the DSM2/DSMX module and the OpenLRS without difficulty. On further inspection the glass fuse appears to be fine, but it is still acting like it was fried... Is there anything I can do for it?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Fried Radio?

Post by MikeB »

Was the radio powered on when you plugged the module in?

Near the top left of the main board is the 5V pre-regulator. On the main board near this are two test points labelled 0V and 5V.
When you switch on, do you get 5V between them?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The OP seems to be only telling half of the story ;) :)
Here is the link to his other post..

viewtopic.php?p=102098#p102098

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

jhsa wrote:The OP seems to be only telling half of the story ;) :)
Here is the link to his other post..

viewtopic.php?p=102098#p102098

João
Rats foiled again! If only I hadn't been found out I would've had so much to gain ;) I might as well share the information I was so obviously trying to "hide" on purpose-

Yesterday I tried to connect to the OpenLRSng configurator by following the instructions stating that I would have to connect a 3.3v FTDI converter while the module was inserted in the transmitter housing. I had successfully flashed to the latest firmware via the configurator using what I thought was this method but now I can't remember if I used an FTDI or a JTAG... Anyway, something happened in the process that appears to have shorted my TX!? The 9XR-Pro won't boot at all now and only emits a faint buzzing sound instead! I can confirm that the FTDI was running at 3.3v and I have used it for other 3.3v sensitive projects in the past.

In all seriousness, obviously I didn't "hide" anything on purpose. I thought I had outlined all the relevant details in my OP but apparently forgot. I went into more detail about the FTDI 3.3v issue in the OT as I was following their instructions to power the OpenLRSng module from the TX. That said, I don't think the radio was powered on when I first plugged it in. So is this the issue? Has anybody else tried to program the OrangeRX OpenLRS module from the 9xr-Pro?
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Also- Just to show that I'm not imagining things, the instructions I followed can be found here- https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSngW ... a-computer
Note: JR and Futaba modules (Non-Deluxe)

These transmitters need to be powered by your radio, as the power supplies on board don't like being powered with your USB-Serial adapter. These modules should be plugged into your radio and the radio switched on in order to program them. For OrangeRX modules it's common to cut a hole in the outer plate exposing the programming pins, so you don't have to unscrew the plate every time.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Of course you weren't hiding the info on purpose, you don't gain anything doing it :mrgreen: ;)
But I was just making sure that the person that is helping you here knows that there is some more info ;)

The problem is also when we create more than one topic about the same problem, it is more difficult for people to follow what is going on as the information will be scattered..
So, a good practice is to open only one topic.. It will be seen as some of us read all the posts.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:Was the radio powered on when you plugged the module in?

Near the top left of the main board is the 5V pre-regulator. On the main board near this are two test points labelled 0V and 5V.

Mike.
Can you do what Mike ask here? This could help to find out where the problem is..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

jhsa wrote:
MikeB wrote:Was the radio powered on when you plugged the module in?

Mike.
Can you do what Mike ask here? This could help to find out where the problem is..

João
OK. Will do!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

humblehacker wrote:Also- Just to show that I'm not imagining things, the instructions I followed can be found here- https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSngW ... a-computer
Note that this absolutely does not say that you should insert the module while the radio is on (which is a very silly thing to do as you've found out), it just says the module must be in the radio and the radio must be on, even implying to insert the module first then turn on.
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

OK. I'm getting something in the range of 2.25v under the DCV setting on my meter. It definitely seemed to do something though as it interupted the buzzing sound when I touched the leads.
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Kilrah wrote:
humblehacker wrote:Also- Just to show that I'm not imagining things, the instructions I followed can be found here- https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSngW ... a-computer
Note that this absolutely does not say that you should insert the module while the radio is on (which is a very silly thing to do as you've found out), it just says the module must be in the radio and the radio must be on, even implying to insert the module first then turn on.
I never said that I had the radio on first as you mention common sense would normally prevent my doing so. Of course I've made dumber mistakes without realizing it in the past so I can't definitely rule that out as the cause. In any case, I never presumed that the instructions were to turn the radio on first. Rather I took it to mean that the module must be inserted in the radio before connecting the FTDI adapter. AFAIK I havent done anything that wasnt explicitly recommended in the aforementioned instructions.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

so, you are getting 2.25V between the 5V and 0V pads Mike mentioned?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Yes. Assuming I'm using the right settings on my meter. That's what it's showing.
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Just to confirm whether I'm doing this right, here is a picture of my multimeter touching the leads-

I also took this close up of the wiring as I have it now in case something appears out of the ordinary-
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, we have another 9XR-PRO user with a problem which might be similar. I've just posted some instructions for voltage testing here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=7668#p102219.

Please try measuring the voltages I describe in that post.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

OK. the measurements between FU1 and R9 read the same whether I turned the switch on or off. Measurements of the J5 header pins are not so consistent. I get nothing between 2 and 3 whether the switch is on or off. Voltages between 1+2= 11.88v and 3+5=12.12v when switched off. However, when I power on and measure between 1+5, I get 3.67v? Between D2 and Pin 10 of 10 way connector I get about 3.4v with the switch on (and nothing when switch off)...
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Also, I have no idea if this makes any difference but in comparing images posted by the user in the aforementioned thread to my own board I noticed one small difference which may or may not be relevant... In both radios there is a sticker with a blue mark covering what I believe it is a thermal fuse over FU1? However, the blue mark is reversed on my own model in comparison to his. Hopefully, the following graphic can explain better than I-

Does this make any difference?
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Looks like I'm officially stuck... I can't do anyhtign without a radio but I can't afford something like a Taranis and I dont want to buy another 9XR Pro if this is what I can expect... I guess my only option is to build my own with a Mega 2560?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

humblehacker wrote:Between D2 and Pin 10 of 10 way connector I get about 3.4v with the switch on (and nothing when switch off)...
One side of D2 goes to J5 pin 5, the other side of D2 goes to pin 10 of the 10-way connector. Pin 8 of the 10-way connector is ground, so this should help make sure you have pin 10 correctly selected.
You shouldn't have 3.4V between D2 and pin 10 of the 10-way connector.

With power on, please measure the voltage between pins 8 and 10 of the 10-way connector.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

9XR PRO on special price

Hobbyking
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;