New Radio Needed

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
Oshb5ems

New Radio Needed

Post by Oshb5ems »

Hi all

Iv recently got a Gaui 500x Quadcopter (at a great price) but all my radios are like me old and outdated hence wont do such things as sub trim and have assignable switches that is LOL. Iv seen the Turnigy pushed and pushed via the Hobbyking website and have joined its email thingy but every time I get a email saying its in stock and I check they have all gone in fact there is always a negative amount I even managed to check just 20 mins after i got a email as I was still up at 5am and I thought I must get one but it was still showing -12 tut'tut Anyway.
iv seen some other places to get one but under a different name and a bit more expensive but at the price still looks good.Or can anyone suggest anywhere I might be able to get one?

What I would to know is "How GOOD Are They" that is for the price also what capabilities can you add on to them. I will add I am getting on a bit but my soldering skills and electronic building is still up there being a radio ham I have to keep my radios up and working..

So just what can they do and what extras can you add on to them. both software and by the adding of extra hardware. What would you say is a must in the add on area (other than updating the firmware to the best and latest whichever that may be, As apparently there are different ones Correct?. Which firmware would you suggest at this time)
What about the hardware Where is the best place for these add ons please

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks Andy

( P.S. Sorry for the original which i put in the scratch pad I tried to message admin but it would not let me. )

cre8tiveleo

Re: New Radio Needed

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Where are you located?

Some members offer their help to local people , aiding in firmware flashing, soldering. Etc.

Anywhere that sells the 9x type radio and has them in stock is a good place to get one. They are all the same radio, and who ever supplies them really doesn't matter.

As for firmware, you have to look at what you want to accomplish. Er9x and Open9x are the popular ones. Ersky is an add on board that totally opens up a whole new selection of possibilities. If you're a hobbiest, and like to fly, stick with the stock radio, and new firmware. If you're a gear head and love to tinker, then the ersky board would be the next evolutionary stage of our radio.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hi, and welcome :)

The first thing to do would be to read the Wiki: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
There are lots of info, both basic (what is it?) to the more detailed (even if a little outdated) user's guide.

On Hobbyking you have to be fast - when some stock arrives it's usually gone in about 15 minutes.

In terms of software the "main" one seems to be ER9X, I personally prefer open9x. They're very close, the UI of open9x is a little more convenient IMO, plus there's more customisation for telemetry.
About hardware, well the must is the flashing connector to replace the software. The rest is to be done or not depending on your wishes. Personally I consider replacement of the stock RF module with telemetry-enabled FrSky to be very recommended, I like the backlight too - I however don't care about vibrator installation and the better speaker many rave about, I'm fine with the buzzer - each to his own :D
Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

cre8tiveleo wrote:Where are you located?

Some members offer their help to local people , aiding in firmware flashing, soldering. Etc.

Anywhere that sells the 9x type radio and has them in stock is a good place to get one. They are all the same radio, and who ever supplies them really doesn't matter.

As for firmware, you have to look at what you want to accomplish. Er9x and Open9x are the popular ones. Ersky is an add on board that totally opens up a whole new selection of possibilities. If you're a hobbiest, and like to fly, stick with the stock radio, and new firmware. If you're a gear head and love to tinker, then the ersky board would be the next evolutionary stage of our radio.
Im in the top end of Derbyshire. Soldering and adding or altering the electronics is fine although my glasses are getting stronger by the year..

I had seen where one of the guys was using the Er(x latest but like I said im not sure what each entails or can do different to the other so it looks like a in depth reading session. Im much the hobbiest but rearly like to tinker. Im into Astronomy and my last mount I built into its housing a blue tooth and Wireless (for Xbox remote) as well as extra ways to control the mount externally and remotely rather than just by its own hard wired control handset So definably a tinkerer. :twisted: . So information about the ErSky route for this radio is first on the list I think..

Before joining this forum I had been watching a RD8000 35mhz Sanwa with the intention of converting it and adding the Frsky hack to bring it up to 2.4ghz. The radio itself was pretty cheap at £40 with two 35mhz rx's but then there was postage at £7 and then the Frsky at £10 which took me into the relms of the basic Turnigy. But at this time id did not know anything about all of the stuff you can do with and to the Turnigy. Which I only found out when asking a question about the conversion of the RD8000 when some kind soul suggest me check out the site in his reply. Hence im here now and the RD8000 has been deleted from my watched items on Ebay LOL. And Iv sent the guy a big thankyou in a pm :D ..

Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

Kilrah wrote:Hi, and welcome :)

The first thing to do would be to read the Wiki: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
There are lots of info, both basic (what is it?) to the more detailed (even if a little outdated) user's guide.

On Hobbyking you have to be fast - when some stock arrives it's usually gone in about 15 minutes.

In terms of software the "main" one seems to be ER9X, I personally prefer open9x. They're very close, the UI of open9x is a little more convenient IMO, plus there's more customisation for telemetry.
About hardware, well the must is the flashing connector to replace the software. The rest is to be done or not depending on your wishes. Personally I consider replacement of the stock RF module with telemetry-enabled FrSky to be very recommended, I like the backlight too - I however don't care about vibrator installation and the better speaker many rave about, I'm fine with the buzzer - each to his own :D

Like I have just said in the previous reply I will be doing some in depth reading :shock:

And as most of the emails from Hobbyking arrive mostly during the early morning I think it most wise to buy from another source rather than chasing a pipe dream that the Hobby king email draws you into. Then again as I dont sleep much and spend many hours up during our nights I might stay on the email list and could one day just drop lucky because at the price they sell them for its well worth having a back up at that price. But I know not to either hold my breath or even have a bet on with Ladbrokes because I bet its nearly easier to win the lottery at 14 million to 1 LOL.. :cry:

As I had talked about having old and outdated equipment I had been looking for a new radio and the search had lead me to the Hitec set of Radios because I liked the idea of telemetry especially with a Quadcopter. The Aurora 9 looked a very nice Tx but at £300 was out of my price range and what I wanted to pay. The guys at Als hobby's had suggested I wait till the new Eclipse 7 Pro was released as it was going to be nearly as good but cheaper. Anyway it was released last week at £189 plus postage. A fair price but again was a bit over what I wanted to spend especially as Id not paid a lot for the Quad so did not want to add to the outlay just for testing it. Hence looking at the Sanwa and then ending up here Funny old world aint it..
(if id been able to test the quad with one of my old radio and id have liked it and got into it then maybe yes id have bought the new Eclipse 7 I used to fly all sorts . But that was many years ago Its just that these Quadcopters introduce a new and exciting offshoot to the RC market with the ability to join to hobby's together RC and Photography Im wandering and waffling so will bring this to a halt. Sorry.)

Im glad I held off buying the Hitec because I may be able to get what I want from a radio for a lot less and with the input of my own handy work thrown in. Plus this way building and altering the radio to add or make it do what you want makes it all the more personal does it not. :)

Regs Andy

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Oshb5ems wrote:So information about the ErSky route for this radio is first on the list I think..
As ERSKY9X is still some time away the best would be to get/mod/use the stock radio first, then once it's done if you feel the difference is worth it you can just swap the board as it's a drop-in replacement.
Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

Kilrah wrote: As ERSKY9X is still some time away the best would be to get/mod/use the stock radio first, then once it's done if you feel the difference is worth it you can just swap the board as it's a drop-in replacement.
Opps I think I may be getting a little mixed up is there a difference between the ER9x and the ERSky9x? is er9x just the firmware update then? Old age and new equipment takes some sinking LoL..

Andy
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ER9X is the replacement firwmare for the 9x. ERSKY9x is a whole new mainboard for the radio and its adapted software, currently in development / beta test :)
Crashj007

Post by Crashj007 »

R2hobbies claims to have 9X stock as of now:
http://r2hobbies.com/eurgle-2-4ghz-9-ch ... ion-1.html $US 83.95
You'll want this one with a sinle RX, not the older one with dual RX.
I have bought other stuff from them with the usual 4 week turn around time.
Get the Smartieboard with EL display for this one.
--
FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH from Nitroplanes
Smartieparts board & backlight
Stock Flysky RF and mainboard
er9x FW V 744
Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

Hi Kilrah

Right thanks for the clarification..

And thanks Crash as this was going to be my next question "as to where I might get a 9x from" also if you join up and make yourself a member you get another 10% off your order, Just a pity the other bits aint in stock though..

The smatie pants board is that the one which adds a better backlight and a USB programmer: I take it that when the FrSky board becomes available then this will still work with it?

Regs Andy
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The ersky9x board won't need it, as it's designed from the ground up it includes everything that's needed right on the board.
Last edited by Kilrah on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

SmartiepaRts board!!! as Steven would say (Steven makes the board)
I just got a 9x from R2, so they have some in stock. What I got was a mode 1 version, simple change to make it mode 2. Confirmed it has a newer main board so the smartieparts board just bolts right in, no soldering. The Frsky module is just the RF side of things. You can get the 9x and use it as is until the Frsky stuff becomes available.
-Gohst
Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

So can we get these "SmartiepaRts board" direct from Steven? Just a thought...
And the R2Hobbies site is acting up on my PC at the moment Its strange I cannot load it or any of its website when on my network But when Im on my mates next door it all works fine from the same laptop so its not a chach problem?

Regs Andy
Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

Hi all

Just a quick question about these 9x's that are on the R2Hobbys site I can see that reading the info they are third gen sets BUT it looks from the photo of them that they still have the 35mhz(normal extendible pull up metal) Ariel fitted and has the 2.4ghz module that fits in the back is this correct and will it be ok to order one or should I try and wait for the just 2.4 model? if I can ever get one that is? Also which is the best battery to order for one of these 9x sets?

Regs Andy
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I was looking for the version with antenna some time ago, and asked them if that was indeed what they supplied. They said that they didn't have those anymore, just didn't update the photo. So you should get the one with the 2.4GHz antenna in place of the 35MHz one.
2s LiPo is fine.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

My third gen came with a cap. No MHz antenna and no internal hardware for it (bracket and screw to attach it to the board. The 2.4GHz module has it's own antenna.
Yes the Smartiparts board only comes from steven. See: http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331
-Gohst
kaos

Post by kaos »

I would get one with the antenna already on the RF module. you can just pull it and use a different module (ie Frysky). The Turnigy 9X I use has its antenna wire soldered to the module board, I have to cut it and resolder another antenna to the module board to reuse it as a swappable RF module. So I would say getting any of these 9X Tx with the 2.4 antenna attached to the module not the Tx. Save you some headache down the road.
Oshb5ems

Post by Oshb5ems »

Hi All

Well my new radio has arrived today from the above mentioned link at R2Hobbies. and its a Eurgle 2.4Ghz 9 Channel Digital Programmable LCD Radio Gear (3rd Generation) I take it that apart from the name it is the 9X? underneath and that the smariepants board will fit? and will all the other mods also work on this set? Also with it being a revision 3 will the soldering points still be the same for the usb flash lead to solder on to. Thats if I dont have the S/P board..

Regs Andy
Crucial

New Radio Needed

Post by Crucial »

Ignore the version 3 reference. There is no logical reason for them to call it that. The only way you will know if it works with the smartie parts board is to open it up and look at the motherboard. It will work with all the mods you see listed for the Turnigy and flysky brand radios.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

There actually is a logic for the ver 3 reference for that radio.

V1 was the original XX MHz setup

V2 was the first generation 2.4 GHz (TM001 module w/2 antenna receiver)

V3 is the current generation FlySky 2.4 GHz (TM002 module w/single antenna receiver)

As far as the configuration of the main board is concerned, there is no way to determine that based on the version number as you say.

Ted
Crucial

New Radio Needed

Post by Crucial »

I don't remember ever seeing this radio for sale as a MHz only.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

gohsthb wrote:My third gen came with a cap. No MHz antenna and no internal hardware for it (bracket and screw to attach it to the board. The 2.4GHz module has it's own antenna.
Yes the Smartiparts board only comes from steven. See: http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331
-Gohst
Was that the 'eurgle' from R2? Was wondering when they would loose the antenna!
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

yes it is an Eurgle from R2.
-Gohst

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”