please explain... "limits"

Hardware Support for the 9XR
blkfleet

please explain... "limits"

Post by blkfleet »

ok maybe this is a dumb question but here goes.....

on the 9XR radio, under the "travel" menu by each channel the display is " 0.0 -100 100"
what exactly is the "0.0" for? also i also a little confused with the rest of the way this function works
the reason why i am saying this is because i was doing my head setup for my Trex450 pro and when i was at the "high stick" i developed a little gap in one of my servo's well i try to make adjustments to close that gap thru the radio under the "travel" menu but it was either nothing or full craziness. i adjusted one of the "100's" and the servo horn traveled all the way in one direction also making the other servo travel in the opposite direction. so basically the swash was way out of whack! now for background on equipment.... i am using for FBL system TAROT ZYX-S. so is there anything i am doing wrong or not seeing here? thanks in advance for any input given. Frank

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: please explain... "limits"

Post by MikeB »

The 0.0 is the "sub-trim", an offset from the centre position.
The -100 and +100 are the endpoints for the channel

What firmware revision are you using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

i am running factory firmware, i have no clue how to do all that open firmware i have seen folks on here talking about. and since i am not that advanced with this radio, i truly didnt see why i should try to flash my Tx and have to learn how to deal with the radio all over again. i been keeping it simple...lol
so here is another question since in the radio setup with the FBL, so my servos are set in the TX. as follows
ch.1 AIL
ch.2 ELE
ch.3 THR
ch.4 RUD

but on the actual FBL its not the same i guess due to the whole 90degree setup. so my thing is if i dont have a "pitch" channel how do i make the necessary adjustment required to level out the swash?
deaconFlyer

Post by deaconFlyer »

I very quickly dumped the factor firmware in favor of OpenTX. (The factory is an off-shoot that has not been updated) With OpenTX there are some amazing manuals that will literally walk you through most of the issues you are asking about.

The advantage of the open systems is the multiple ways to do the same thing. I usually have two or three options and invariably choose the least complex. Finally, I use CompanionTX and can test my settings.

Re: limits ... I fly 3D and so I want to have maximum deflection at max servo movement. Once I have that I back off two clicks on the limit. Finally I have one plane where the left aileron at 92% give the same deflection as the right servo at 96% primarily due to a control horn issue. I can use the limits to attain the identical deflection and that generates almost perfect rolls.

Don't limit yourself to factory firmware. Don't ignore CompanionTX and its Simulator.
Last edited by deaconFlyer on Sun May 07, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The "factory firmware" on the 9XR is already a version of er9x.

Your questions are most likely dealt with in the FBL controller configuration rather than on the radio. Unfortunately I have no idea about that FBL controller's workings.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The firmware shipped on the 9XR-PRO is, in fact, the open source firmware ersky9x, so you already are "doing the open firmware".
Which revision of ersky9x is shipped did change at some point, you should have either 204 or 211.
There are manuals for the 9XR-PRO, see here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5575. These include instructions for updating the firmware.
If you do update to a new revision of the ersky9x firmware, you won't have to learn the radio again.
There is also a PC program you may use to read/write the models on the radio, and also edit them. It is called "eepskye". Go here: http://www.er9x.com/ to download it. You can also download the latest revision of the firmware from there.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I think he has a base 9XR, not a PRO. Confirmation may help.
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

yes i have the 9xr not the pro. so flashing the firmware is a easy thing even for a rookie like me? and do i need anything special to do this process? besides going to the link that MIKEB suggested?
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

oh i forgot thanks for all the help so far, you guys are making me lean towards open firmware seriously!!!!!
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

been doing some homework will this be what i will need as for hardware along with software to complete the task at hand?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-USBASP-2-ISP ... SwImRYeoHs
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The whole point is you don't need to flash anything, and you already have open firmware on your radio, just an old version.
deaconFlyer

Post by deaconFlyer »

The advantage of flashing (for exanple to OpenTX 2.1.9) is that you will have the essentially the most bug-free version of the firmware. The other advantage is that you can have access to software such as CompanionTX.

I rarely edit any models on my transmitter anymore. I use Companion and then, using it's simulator can determine if some of my more complex mixes are actually going to do what I want them to do. Several times I have reversed a variable and made the correction at the kitchen table rather then at the field (or worse, discovered it in flight.)

Yes ... you have a learning curve to get the USBASP interfaced with your computer. (I have Linux-based systems so this is as easy as adding the driver. I have one Windows 10 system that I still can't get to work) ... and you will have the panic of the first upgrade button push ... but after that, it becomes routine and well worth the effort.

Have you visited http://opentxu.org?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

deaconFlyer wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:18 am I rarely edit any models on my transmitter anymore. I use Companion and then, using it's simulator can determine if some of my more complex mixes are actually going to do what I want them to do. Several times I have reversed a variable and made the correction at the kitchen table rather then at the field (or worse, discovered it in flight.)
You would love something like this :mrgreen:
It is wonderful, specially when setting up complex models as we can have a better overview of the settings on the computer screen..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmvIIV9OyLU

It is what i use to program my models using eepskye. Actually I use a more actual version of it with 16 channel output :)

João

EDIT: And here is a link for the project page:

viewtopic.php?t=5476

This DOES NOT work with companion.. Only Eepe and Eepskye
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”