RAS - SWR - VSWR

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
AndreL

RAS - SWR - VSWR

Post by AndreL »

Taranis X9D+, RAS or whatever the new radio term for antenna VSWR, I have upped the radio to the latest version of open 2.3.14 and noticed that lately I do not have RAS or SWR presented on the radio anywhere. Its not discovered automaticaly or shown in the telemetry pages. In the radio firmware build noras was not checked. The radio will detect antenna disconnect by auto announcement and yet i cannot find the value - any ideas ? - thanks in advance.

Kilrah

Re: RAS - SWR - VSWR

Post by Kilrah »

Radio menu, hardware page
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

ahhhh - perfect - its zero - does vary when near hand - so it somewhat works. Somewhere i read that it is only a approximation - still better than nothing.
now I am sure you know the next question that i am to ask - how can i display in the simplest form (telemetry screen?) - hopefully without getting into lua scripts.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

By going to the telemetry page and setting one/more screens, just like always...
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

I have tried that - running a screen for some items now but when I go to set the source RAS is not listed in the choice list. I get all the switches, GV, telemetry, logical switches - pretty well everything possible except RAS.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

RAS is too often misused by people who take it for more than it is so it's purposefully not included by default, there's a lua script somewhere to add it to the sensors.
AndreL

Post by AndreL »

I would agree with you on that statement, but having been caught with one onboard module and a xjt module issue it would be nice to at least know if the module is providing full output. Tpicaly the radio should provide around 20db. In the past i had a faulty 2 modules that had a rf degradation providing only 9 to 11db power out and currently the radio will not let you know that its output is low. Looking at the 2431L package it would seem that there is no feedback of module performance but since some kind of vswr is detected on the feed means that there is a hi level detect and reverse level detect already that is used to calculate a ratio for display. If the hi level was extracted and allowed to be calibrated for display purposes, would be an asset indicating o/p power performance or maybe could be set to provide a low o/p warning?.
As always - thank you for your help and clarification.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

And that's why it's not shown since it doesn't provide either of the things you want...

It just senses radiation from a feed line. Doesn't measure output power, nor a ratio. Actually if you had both a bad antenna AND low output it would probably not be able to detect the bad antenna because since the signal is low in the first place even once the reflection is added the level would be below that of normal output and no reflection, so low output = likely misleadingly good RAS.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Hi, suddenly my taranis started sound antenna malfunction detected, or something like that, so I decided to swap the antenna, but the problem persisted. Lately I noticed that in lr12 and d16, the ras value, goes up to 80, which is terrible, I know, but in d8 mode it oscillates between 0 and 4, so it's OK. Does anybody have an idea what's going on? My guess is that the ixjt module is faulty somehow.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”