Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Post by MikeB »

The serial port on the X9D has inverters so provides RS232 compatibility. The power pin is also battery voltage.

The connections on the QX7 are non-inverted, and the power pin is 3.3V.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

swampmonster

Post by swampmonster »

MikeB wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:16 pm The serial port on the X9D has inverters so provides RS232 compatibility. The power pin is also battery voltage.

The connections on the QX7 are non-inverted, and the power pin is 3.3V.

Mike
Thank you very much for the answer. Sounds like it could still be useful for hooking up something a bit more powerful and doing processing of telemetry data and such.
Uksteve

Post by Uksteve »

Kilrah wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 am Here are files attached, you need to use this to program an arduino with and load the bootloader:
https://github.com/RedBearLab/CCLoader

Then use TI's SerialBootTool to flash firmware:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... _1_3_2.zip
Hi all, I've ended up here in my quest to put Bluetooth in a jumper T-16 and wonder after reading through these posts if you guys can help.

The T16 has the pads and firmware support for the FrSky BT module and expects to see a module with the FrSky firmware on it.

The FrSky module is a RF-BM-S02 which can be had from various places for a fraction of the price of the FrSky branded one but they obviously don't have the correct firmware on them.

Is the post I've quoted referring to putting a bootloader and firmware on in the FrSky flavour or is it something else?

Is the FrSky firmware floating about anywhere that people know and has anyone successfully flashed a RF-BM-S02 module with the FrSky firmware?

Thanks, Steve.

EDIT: to clairfy, the T16 uses the Horus BT module and the module needs that firmware on it for it to work in the T16.
Uksteve

Post by Uksteve »

Is anyone able to help? I've done extensive searching and this is the only place over found the module firmware discussed!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The zip in the post you quoted has a firmware that FrSky posted at one point very long ago. Not sure if it has changed afterwards.

Uksteve

Post by Uksteve »

Kilrah wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:53 am The zip in the post you quoted has a firmware that FrSky posted at one point very long ago. Not sure if it has changed afterwards.
Ty for your reply.

So I'm right in thinking that it is a horus based firmware for the Bluetooth module, but a very old one?

As far as I'm aware, it's age does not matter, it's simply having the horus based firmware that matters.

I have a module on order and should he here from China soon, if I can't get it working on that firmware, a lot of T16 owners will be interested in doing the same :)

Steve.
Uksteve

Post by Uksteve »

Another question sorry :/

I don't like to just ask and ask so I try my best to research solutions and I know that the bootloader flashing via arduino is done using the debug pads on the module and I know what pads are used but the next step is where I'm unsure.

When it comes to flashing the actual firmware, is it also done though the debug pads or others and what device is required for that flashing?

I'm assuming its not also done with the arduino as the code related specifically to burning a bootloader?
I have spi, St link, ftdi, pretty much every module I could ever need for flashing stuff but don't know which is used?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, once the bootloader is on flahsing the firmware is done using the normal TX/RX pads, that's the bootloader's job.
Uksteve

Post by Uksteve »

Kilrah wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 am No, once the bootloader is on flahsing the firmware is done using the normal TX/RX pads, that's the bootloader's job.
Thankyou, so being on the RX/TX pads its a regular UART dongle I need to use then, nice and simple :)

I take it that the supplied program for flashing the firmware kicks the module into bootloader mode or is there a step required to put it into that prior to running the firmware flash tool?

Its possible that the module I receive may already have a bootloader on it, is there a way to find out or is it just a case of attempting a firmware flash and if it fails to communicate then go down the bootloader burn route or do you recommended doing it strait off the bat?

I'm really looking forward to attempting this, if it fails I've tried, if it works then I'm a happy bunny and I'll share my findings with other T16 owners and I'll owe you a very big thanks :D
Uksteve

Post by Uksteve »

Kilrah wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 am No, once the bootloader is on flahsing the firmware is done using the normal TX/RX pads, that's the bootloader's job.

Kilrah, i wonder if you can help me please.

After the first module failed to arrive and i got a refund, i ordered from a different seller and finally after months i have at last got a RF-BM-S02 in my possession :)

I have flashed a NANO with the CC loader sketch and i have figured out how to make the windows application work through the command line but now i cannot go any further as i dont know what pins on the RF-BM-S02 are the debug.

In preparation for its arrival i had done extensive searching and had found a pinout diagram that showed what pins were for debug and saved it to my pc but since then i had a major oops moment where i accidentally deleted the partition on the drive where the files were kept :(

as hard as ive searched, i cannot find the dam diagram which shows the pads for debug, i have found out what the 3.3v, GND, RX and TX are but the Debug pads are playing hard to get and ive trawled though scores of websites and 100's of images.

Can you help?

Thanks, Steve.
Uksteve

Post by Uksteve »

Kilrah wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 am No, once the bootloader is on flashing the firmware is done using the normal TX/RX pads, that's the bootloader's job.
ok, i finally found the information i need, DD and DC are on pins P21 (DD) and P22 (DC) and ive successfully flashed the bootloader but i cannot get the Blemodule.bin firmware file to flash :(

I have tried two different USB UART modules and i get a 'response timeout' error.

any ideas please?

Steve.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Don't know, all I could find is I used my FTDI. Don't remember if this pic was of flashing the bootloader or the firmware.
20170912_173502.jpg
Uksteve

Post by Uksteve »

Kilrah wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:49 am Don't know, all I could find is I used my FTDI. Don't remember if this pic was of flashing the bootloader or the firmware.

20170912_173502.jpg
Those are the rx and tx pads it's connected too so that will be the firmware and not the bootloader.

I have mine wired exactly the same but the serial boot tool just gives me a no response error :(

Steve.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Maybe the bootloader is incorrect or didn't flash?
Uksteve

Post by Uksteve »

Kilrah wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:59 pm Maybe the bootloader is incorrect or didn't flash?
I used the file linked on this thread, maybe the file is wrong but it definitely flashed the bootloader :/
cliffkhew

Post by cliffkhew »

After flashing the bootloader & firmware successfully,is it something related to baudrate setup before installing the module to the radio board?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Not that I know of.
cliffkhew

Post by cliffkhew »

Kilrah wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:17 pm Not that I know of.
Thank you buddy.I got it working right now.There is no need to configure anything to the bt moduleJust flash the bootloader and write the firmware and everything is done.We never know the FrSky working baudrate in their firmware,should be 57600kbps or 115200kbps.I think AT commands also broken in their firmware(I've tried)and we no need worry about them.

Happy flying,
Cliff
JumperOwner

Post by JumperOwner »

Very interesting.
I'm also investigating my nonfunctional BT connection. Meanwhile I bougth an expensive X12s BT module :cry: , but did'nt help. I use OTX2.3.11 on my T16 and already investigated the data traffic being at the BT solder pads.
I activated BT in the OTX hardware tab, actually max baud = 400k, and OTX sends AT+BAUD4 which is quite sure the command to change baudrate to 115200.
But then there is no continuing traffic at all. No telemetry stream, no further commands.
The link above with the zip file containing the firmware is no longer active, do you have the firmware itself (not only bootloader)?
enggmaug

Post by enggmaug »

JumperOwner wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:59 am Very interesting.
I'm also investigating my nonfunctional BT connection. Meanwhile I bougth an expensive X12s BT module :cry: , but did'nt help. I use OTX2.3.11 on my T16 and already investigated the data traffic being at the BT solder pads.
I activated BT in the OTX hardware tab, actually max baud = 400k, and OTX sends AT+BAUD4 which is quite sure the command to change baudrate to 115200.
But then there is no continuing traffic at all. No telemetry stream, no further commands.
The link above with the zip file containing the firmware is no longer active, do you have the firmware itself (not only bootloader)?

I just downloaded the file using the Wayback Machine (a bot that saves all the internet pages and files it encounters).
Enter the address you search, and click a save date/time. Magic.
enggmaug

Post by enggmaug »

Hello,

I did manage to :
- purchase a RF-SW-02
- Load the bootloader
- install the firmware
- install the module in my radio (tx16s)
- connect to it with my phone

But, I can't manage to use it with telemetry Viewer app...

I thought I would be able to follow a model with GPS on a map... but for now all these efforts have been for nothing.

What do you guys use the internal bluetooth module for ?
enggmaug

Post by enggmaug »

I finally got it working... The version of Telemetry viewer wasn't correct... I needed to have it on the beta version...

I made an "instructable", in case someone wants to go the same path as I did...

Internal Bluetooth on Radiomaster TX16s

Let me know if you have comments.
crowcruise

Post by crowcruise »

Kilrah wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:49 am Don't know, all I could find is I used my FTDI. Don't remember if this pic was of flashing the bootloader or the firmware.

20170912_173502.jpg
Hi @Kilrah

I know it's offtopic, but may I ask what power supply that is? It looks a bit selfmade. What Board is it using and is there a build-tutorial somewhere?

Thanks!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's an RD DPS3005
https://rdtech.aliexpress.com/store/gro ... 1027Ph2pT4

they have a 5005 that supports higher voltage in same form factor now.

Case is 3D printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2036254

Got one for the dual board versions, really like my DPH5005 since it's buck-boost and very versatile. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2188837
crowcruise

Post by crowcruise »

Wow! Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. :)
AlexLmm

Post by AlexLmm »

Hi!

Need help please!
I've added BT module to Taranis x9d+19 according to this manual - https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... 50#p154189

But it's not working! My smartphone can see Taranis BT but can't pare, and there is also no internal BT address appears in the menu.
I've noticed that the pads for BT module are different in my Taranis and Radiomaster. Can this be a reason?

Or there might be the different problem why it's not working in Taranis?

Solved.
BT19.png
(913.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by AlexLmm on Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexLmm

Post by AlexLmm »

Hi!
Is it possible to connect hc-06 to internal bt module in parallel? Only rx of course.
belrik

Post by belrik »

Kilrah wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 am Here are files attached, you need to use this to program an arduino with and load the bootloader:
https://github.com/RedBearLab/CCLoader

Then use TI's SerialBootTool to flash firmware:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... _1_3_2.zip
Hello, is it possible to switch from BLE to Classic Bluetooth mode? When using this firmware I seem only to be able to pair in BLE mode despite seeing a BLE device and Classic Bluetooth device.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”