cant find firmware folder on sd card

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
GarethBarry

cant find firmware folder on sd card

Post by GarethBarry »

Hello anyone and everyone who may be able to help!
I bought my taranis in 2013 and had never updated the firmware as I was scared of 'bricking' the transmitter and to be honest, was hapy with v1.02 of opentx that came with it. I haven't been active in the hobby for a number of years since. Anyways, now that I am again flying gliders, I bought an x8r receiver and found that I would have to reflash it to get it to bind with my old rf module in the tx, but that's another story!
I successfcully (i think) updated the firmware and bootlader using the process with zadig and then companion with the sd card contents etc. The transmitter worls well and i can rebind my old v8frii receivers, and everything wokrs great so far. However;
I am having an issue with trying to copy the old, original firmware for the x8r receiver onto the sd card so that I can reflash the receiver- I can't see the 'FIRMWARE" folder on the sd card!
The only foldres apearing are the following;
BMP
Docs
Info
LOGS
MODELS
SOUNDS
Without the 'FIRMWARE' folder I cannot flash the receiver, since that's the folder that I have to place the receiver firmware into in order to flash it from the transmitter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gareth Barry from South Africa

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: cant find firmware folder on sd card

Post by MikeB »

Just create it!
Start the radio in bootloader mode, plug in the USB and the SD card should appear on your computer as a hard drive.
Then just use the normal method on your computer to create a directory.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
GarethBarry

Post by GarethBarry »

OK thanks Mike
That seems extremely obvious, I was just worried that it might mess things up -> and not sure whether the taranis will be able to flash to the receiver with from 'made' folder-> I'll give it a shot though and post my progress.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Receiver/module firmware don't even need to be in a FIRMWARE folder, they can be anywhere on the card. It's only radio firmware that you want to be able to flash from the bootloader that needs to be there.
GarethBarry

Post by GarethBarry »

"Receiver/module firmware don't even need to be in a FIRMWARE folder, they can be anywhere on the card. It's only radio firmware that you want to be able to flash from the bootloader that needs to be there."
Ahh ok thanks that helps a lot!!
Gonna give it a try tonight.
Thanks so much
Regards
Gareth

GarethBarry

Post by GarethBarry »

OK so I made the folder 'firmware' on the sd card, uploaded what I thought was the old x8r firmware, tried to flash it with the special cable that I soldered up, connected it to the transmitter, but when I tried to flash it there was an error , 'external device not responding.' The x8r receiver was blinking correctly with the red light when I connected it to the tx. So maybe there are some other files missing?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Did you use the SPort connection on the Rx (not the SBUS one)?
The Rx should remain powered off until you get to "Finding Device", does this happen?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
GarethBarry

Post by GarethBarry »

Mike
I am such an idiot!! You were exactly right!! I was plugging it into the sbus port!
It's writing now as we speak so we';; see how it goes!
Thanks so much guys
Regards
Gareth
GarethBarry

Post by GarethBarry »

IT WORKED!!!!
x8r receiver flasehd with the old firmware and bound to the transmitter.
Thanks so much to everyone on this forum! I see I still have so much to learn, which is a good thing!
Regards
Gareth Barry

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”