Dual redundancy setup HELP needed

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Scram

Dual redundancy setup HELP needed

Post by Scram »

I'm running OTx v2.2.4 on my X9D+ with XJT_EU_170317 protocol on my RF module.

I'm now wanting to fly my Xcalibur jet which is currently set up with just an S8R receiver. I have flown it twice (before lockdown) and it is very smooth and easy to fly but I'm now feeling I should employ dual redundancy receivers to compliment the PowerBox dual redundancy battery setup.

Can anyone advise suitable receivers and kit to achieve this. I use a total 16 channels - so at present I have an SBUS to PWM converter on the Sbus terminal of the S8R to give me the additional channels. 2 or 3 channels on this Rx are used for the stabilisation system but I reckon I don't need the stabilisation feature so I would actually only need 10 channels for the aircraft as it is. It has only standard (not Sbus) servos installed.

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Jerry

Scram

Re: Dual redundancy setup HELP needed

Post by Scram »

I had hoped for some help here. Maybe I posted in the wrong section or forum even??

So, I think I'm stuffed (not because of no response so far :-) )unless I change some servos to SBus capable . . . . or did something else (🤔 ?)

I have 2 models with all standard servos and I need more than 8 channels. Both (a 2m electric DH Mosquito and an XCalibur jet) fitted with S8R receivers and an SBus to PWM converter on the SBus socket of the receiver giving me PWM output on channels 13 - 16, all used. The S8R reserves channels 9 - 12 for its stabilisation system which I thought I was going to need - particularly for the Mosquito. So the SBus sockets are used on the receivers and I don't think I can daisy chain this function because there is no SBus in and out sockets!!

However, Maybe the RX6R receiver of which I have 1 in a model now (could solve this) which seems to have both SBus in and out sockets - very miniature. However again, I don't know how the daisy chaining works if I use all 8 channels on the S8R and the RX6R only has 6 PWM channel outputs.

If I connect the S8R by SBus to the RX6R SBus in, then the RX6R SBus out to the SBus to PWM converter would I still get my channel 13 - 16 PWM outputs?

And if the S8R fails and the RX6R "takes over comms" does the S8R still output the 1 - 8 PWM channels? If so, that would solve my problem . . . . perhaps? 🤔

Also, if the RX6R receiver fails, would I still get the PWM outputs for my channels 13 - 16??

Thoughts welcomed. Jerry
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's not really clear what you want and what you have, hence the lack of answers. You mention a powerbox but don't mention which.

SBUS can be Y-ed.
For a jet with many servos I would not play with converters and stuff though, but use a servo / power hub like FrSky's redundancy box or the Powerbox equivalents.
Scram

Post by Scram »

Kilrah wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:58 pm It's not really clear what you want and what you have, hence the lack of answers. You mention a powerbox but don't mention which.

SBUS can be Y-ed.
For a jet with many servos I would not play with converters and stuff though, but use a servo / power hub like FrSky's redundancy box or the Powerbox equivalents.
Thank you for responding. I thought that information with respect to transmitter was not necessary or relevant really. The Powerbox unit is the BaseLog which provides only dual battery redundancy and was in the model when I bought it, pre-owned as they say. So I'm looking to get redundancy in the Rx department, utilising what is already installed if possible. I recognise that the FrSky redundancy box would do the job of the Powerbox unit and more but am reluctant to replace it. Certainly the Xcalibur does not need stabilisation, it was a delight to fly on the one occasion I had before lockdown.
Scram

Post by Scram »

Well, I've got the answers I needed on RGC but thanks for your advice Kilrah.

In my jet I have the S8R set up to be able to provide the stabilisation function. Having flown the jet without using it (a must apparently on first flights because the responses need setting once the plane is known to fly "straight") I can do without it.

1st thing is I should not use the SBus-PWM converter with analogue servos as it only puts out 9ms signals which are likely to fry the servos. So, my easy fix is to replace the SBus-PWM converter with an X4R or RX4R receiver and rebind the S8R receiver to Ch1-8 only and the (R)X4R to Ch 9-12 and then forget having dual redundancy receivers. That is the only way to use those receivers on the ACCST protocol.

I could, as I understand it, install an external XJT module in the Tx, then I could use 16 channels on both receivers as long as telemetry is used only on the internal module. That would give me 16 PWM channels as both receivers can be set as Ch1-16 as opposed to the external module one being set to Ch17-32.

These factors will guide my choice of dual redundancy for the 2 planes I'm considering.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”