Broke my early Tatanis. Help!

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
DaveRioja

Broke my early Tatanis. Help!

Post by DaveRioja »

Really hoping someone can help me, I've spent hours and hours trawling the net and forums and still can't get a fix! I have not used my TX for a few years and I'm been trying to update it but could not get new firmware to load. I have a Mac with Big Sur.
Existing info was SUN: opentx-r / Date: 2013-10-18 / Vers: opentx-x9d-v1.1.02 / EEPR: 215
I just found after hours of trying that as it is an early model (2014) you cannot access the bootloader screen using the trim tabs and power button. Don’t know if there is another way?
I tried flashing new firmware with OpenTX Companion 2.08 and 2.3 but it always failed with "No DFU capable USB device found".
I then tried connecting without battery, and downloaded firmware from the latest to the oldest I could find. But I think I have now managed to "brick" it. A quick blue screen when I power up, then black screen.
I'm gutted as it was working fine with Companion and my models before I messed with it, I just wanted latest firmware, but think now it's only fit for the bin. Any help welcome!

bob195558

Re: Broke my early Tatanis. Help!

Post by bob195558 »

I have "erskyTx for Taranis" on my Taranis x9d and I use "eepskye for Windows" and I like it a lot and have no troubles.
You would use "eepskye for MAC".

If you think you would like to try it, find it here: http://www.er9x.com/
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

First check if you connect the USB to your computer with the radio power OFF, you get a STM Bootloader device appearing.
Then try the instructions here: https://opentx.gitbooks.io/manual-for-o ... shing.html.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
DaveRioja

Post by DaveRioja »

<r>Thanks guys for the help so far!

<QUOTE author="MikeB" post_id="152776" time="1610191858" user_id="56"><s>
MikeB wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:30 am</s>
First check if you connect the USB to your computer with the radio power OFF, you get a STM Bootloader device appearing.
<e>
I can see STM32 Bootloader on the Mac System Info when I do this. And I can succesfully download firmware into the Taranis it says (I can see it loading). But the X9D screen is still blank when powered up, USB connected or not. And if I try to load a backup it says I am not connected and to do the trims/power thing, but as the screen doesn't light, I guess its dead! Not sure what else to do now. I know its old, but it is mint!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What's the name of the file you flashed? Seems you're using the one for another radio, like an X9D Plus which has different hardware including an incompatible screen.

DaveRioja

Post by DaveRioja »

https://imgbox.com/gnlHfYXK
https://imgbox.com/s0rKPWQ4
I got confused over what I have Plus or not. Couldnt find anything on the Taranis, but think its a Plus?

I flashed 'x9dpEU_mode2_20180525.bin', firmware_x9d+2019_en_200617.bin, opentx-x9d+-en.bin (I think)
I attached some pics but not sure if they are showing. Bit confusing how to do this!
Cheers
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If it was a Plus there would be a big "plus" written on the screen bezel, so no it isn't one. You need firmware for a plain x9d, not x9dp or x9d+.
DaveRioja

Post by DaveRioja »

Thank you, I’ll have a look tomorrow! 👍
DaveRioja

Post by DaveRioja »

Well guys, thanks for all the help!. I now have a "live" Taranis again that can actually open in Bootloader mode for the first time ever. My models have been scrambled a bit de to poor backups on my part and I'll have to start from scratch programming it but I'm a lot happier now!
I struggled to find correct Firmware once I knew it was NOT a Taranis +, but realised Companion does that for you. Took a few attempts but finally installed, got my screen back and can use a later version of Companion. So thanks again everyone!

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”