Hello, and turnigy 9x advice please

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
JBB

Hello, and turnigy 9x advice please

Post by JBB »

Hello,

I'm completely new to this forum but I signed up as it seems the perfect place to ask advice with my problem :)

Many years ago I tried to teach myself to fly an RC plane.

Flight 1: lasted 4 seconds, and my plane was smashed to bits!
I fixed my plane and flight 2 lasted about 6 seconds.

In that 10 seconds of experience I must have learnt something because after more repairs flight 3 lasted 20 minutes!

Since then I have flown my plane on and off, but have never really overcome the stress of feeling like I have no real clue what I'm doing.

Anyway... My question is actually about transmitters :D

I have a turnigy 9x, that is stock. Maybe 8 years old, I'm not sure.

I want to fly some smaller planes using AFHDS 2A.

Should I upgrade my 9x to AFHDS via a banggood module, (£28ish)

Also upgrade the firmware, but to what? I'm very happy to solder

Or should I buy a new transmitter, like a cheap flysky i6 that I can probably get for £40ish.

I can't decide what to do and the info on the web seems.like a mine field! Please help.

nvd07

Re: Hello, and turnigy 9x advice please

Post by nvd07 »

Hi the 9x is quite old but I am happy with mine running the er9x firmware instead of stock firmware.
Mine came with a AFHDS 2A module but i later replaced it with a 4-in-1 multiprotocol module:
https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... troduction

Are you sure you will only need AFHDS 2A ? there are many cheap planes with great stabilization, at the flip of a switch, nice for beginners, and they are using other protocols... I have a volantex sport cub , amazing little high wing plane, flys 20 mins , great stabilization, I fly it with the MPM. Also, a HK K110 brushless heli, and all my AFHDS 2A Rxs too. Horizon UMX DSMX planes, with the MPM too.
https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... abetically

About modding the 9x - I am not sure it is cost effective when you add everything, as the newer Txs are quite cheap. All this 9x tinkering will appeal to the DIYers and to people who do not absolutely want the latest cutting edge functionnalities and bells and whistles and color display and so on... As for me I am sticking to it another 1-2 years I think then we will see...

I hope it helps.
JBB

Re: Hello, and turnigy 9x advice please

Post by JBB »

Nvd07 thanks for the reply it's very helpful.

I ordered a small cheap part to allow me to flash er9x, and I ordered an AFHD 2A module from banggood - I did this before I saw your reply.

I did not know about the multi protocol modules so that is very useful to know. I may send the AFHD module back and buy something else

I think this would be suitable?

https://m.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wareho ... rehouse=CZ

But that is more money and I guess with the set up I have ordered and er9x I can get failsafe, battery voltage on my transmitter? and smaller Rx which is what I need for some small models I am making.

I sounds like things have moved on a great deal in the last 7 years since I bought my 9x!

Cheers

Return to “Hardware”