X4R - repairing the antennas

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
interestingfellow

X4R - repairing the antennas

Post by interestingfellow »

TLDR Why is there a 120ohm resistor (are they resistors?) connecting ground and active on the u.fl connectors on X4R receivers? (as seen on left most x4r highlighted by green boxes)

I recently acquired 4 x4r from someone, 3rd hand. They were covered in conformal coating, which I removed *painfully slowly* with rubbing alcohol.

2 of them just need to be powered up and tested (I just did, they seem good!), the other 2...eh. The u.fl connectors have been removed one way or another; the pads are still there and good. But 1 of them has has L5 and L6 removed (middle pic, highlighted yellow) and the other doesn't have a spot for L5 and L6 but someone has hacked them into the traces to the u.fl connectors (right hand x4r, red highlight). Are those resistors? They are too small for me to see even with a magnifying glass, and my DMM says 123ohms each. I understand enough to know that they have to do with impedance or inductance or something. I'm plato's pig over here: not smart enough to know, but smart enough to know that I don't know.

Should I add 120ohm resistors to the x4rs missing them?
My plan is to use the 2 iffy x4r's for foamys and the 2 good ones for heli's, so they won't be used in anything dangerous or expensive.
Attachments
20200112_175515-2.JPG

interestingfellow

Re: X4R - repairing the antennas

Someone has told me that they are 0402, the value 18 nH inductors
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Hi interestingfellow,
Yes the L component prefix signifies an Inductor, so a 0402 SMD package size 18nH inductor would seem reasonable & will probably be part of antenna tuning arrangement.
Personally, I wouldn’t mess with it unless you know what you are doing & more than happy to risk a model.
youngstar

Post by youngstar »

Hi, Hope I can ask this here!
I have an upgrade receiver (Rx6R) can I use the Frsky 40cm (same fitting) dipole antennas in my packed model instead of the supplied access Rx6R antennas ie any benefit or maybe issues?
Thank you
interestingfellow

I did manage to fix 1 of the 1 bad boards, the other one was dead.

Sorry fr taking so long youngstar, as long as the "active portion" of the antenna is the same length, then it should work correctly.

Return to “Hardware”