Global Custom Functions and Switches

PeterV

Global Custom Functions and Switches

Post by PeterV »

I don't seem to see anywhere that these exist now...? If they do... where and how? And the rest of this post is irrelevant then....

-------
Why aren't there Global Function and Global Switches? Surely it has been thought of and desired long go/forever?
For:
A throttle cut function.. useful in almost every powered model...
Playing some background sound... or the timer in speech... for every model.....
Stuff like that. Instead of having to replicate it for every model on Per Model basis.

Kilrah

Re: Global Custom Functions and Switches

Post by Kilrah »

Becasue a global function is global... say you put throttle cut as a global function, it affects ALL models... So you may have 6 powered models so it's cool, but you also have a glider where you use the throttle stick for flaps and you don't want it, so you can't use the global function anymore already.
As soon as there is one model where you don't want that global function then you'd have to do it manually for all.

We thought there would actually be very few cases where it would be useful, and that it was easier to control at the model level. To speed up initial setup, just create a model with just the basic things you'd otherwise put as global, and when you get a new model make a copy of it and continue filling in the specifics.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I have 35 models.... I use 6 global functions used across them all.
Numerous sound playing functions, always used... throttle cut...

Also two Custom Switches always used. Though I will have one or two more for use across all models. (One is to link the THs timer to the ThrottleCut switch used).
More people would have many powered models than people with gliders.... but it can be made to cover all cases easily anyway.
You could give them a Per Model tick box to enable/disable the CF or CS locally. That way it is still simple to have many model cases, and only one quick untick is needed to 'remove' it from any model.
In a way it would almost be a sort of dynamic template.... the checkbox is recorded per model and over-rides the Global CS/CF within that model.

I use CompanionX to COPY them all across all the models.. long and tedious. And if you want to change one thing, you need to change 35 (in my case)....
But even changing 3 or more would be a nuisance anyway. Plus can't be done easily on site.

Another useful thing would be to have a "Copy to all models" copy/paste function in CompanionX.
There are so many CS's and CF's that people should be able to structure their allocations to pre-plan for such a case of 'across all models' ones. eg use high end CSV,W etc. CF32, 31.. for globals or 'copied to all' needs.
eg my ThrottleCut is always CF32
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I guess I saw i coming, but didn't really think much about it at the time....
I now have 18 Custom Functions, that apply to all aircraft!
And 6 Custom Switches for all aircraft also. And can still see a few more to come.

Because of the Speech aspect of Taranis it adds that extra clump of CF's and CS's.

I think I can make a Custom Template??? But that is not the same thing as Global CS's &CF's, because templates can't be used 'after the fact' and often you want to change things - which would then need manual changing across every model.

Copy/Pasting 24 lines (from the first done model), to 34 other models, in CompanionX..... 816 copy and pastes to be done!!! That is ridiculous.
When something of such "low level programming" complexities is made, it needs even more user tools to reduce that created workload.

-------------
Only the Edge540 is a fully completed model setup:
Attachments
2013-12-23a.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You might want to open an issue on the project's issue tracker with what you sent me via PM. That way all devs will be able to discuss it and see if and how it could be implemented.
It might require a major rework of the firmware, as currently there is a hard separation between radio (global) parameters and model settings. Mixing things that way needs careful consideration.

Apart form that, I want your hangar. 3 P-51s, 2F-16s, 2 F-22s, a Corsair... <3

PeterV

Post by PeterV »

LOL
All are on the Taranis in rough setups, only two fully flying with it so far. I have three Turnigy 9X's to hold them all - though even then a few are "on PC" and have to be swapped into one TX. The Taranis will hold them ALL of coure!
Even via PC (with easier copying and pasting ability) it takes a long time per aircraft to get all the programming done (CS/CF).
For the meantime, I made a "Template" model, as my master/Global, to copy from when on the PC. Hmmmm... just thought... if I am on the PC, that Template may as well be on another "Master" eepe with only that Template, seeing I just copy across to the real eepe.
Done via the PC is workable solution, as long a you have a PC to do it. But that idea I had of a 'Global Template" that you can link entries to, is still more automated and useful.

I will look up how to post it to Devs list....
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I see I forgot the link, that would be here:
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues ... state=open

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”