Any chance of getting OpenTx on FrSky X20

tonnie78

Any chance of getting OpenTx on FrSky X20

Post by tonnie78 »

The first X20 transmittors from FrSky are being sold at the moment.

Would there be any chance of OpenTx becoming available on this transmitters in the near future?

I like to looks of the transmitter, but I see no added value in this closed software system. I am only missing things I like in OpenTx.

I do not see any Global Variables. No support for Lua yet. And to me it seems that all these preprogrammed mixers only make things more complicated.

Kilrah

Re: Any chance of getting OpenTx on FrSky X20

Post by Kilrah »

No.
tonnie78

Post by tonnie78 »

That sounds like a very definit no.
Whats the reason behind this?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Simply because FrSky want to push their new closed firmware. They spent 2 years of dev on basically recreating most of OpenTX from scratch just so they could avoid having to contribute back anything they create on top of it and can choose what features they want to let users have...
tonnie78

Post by tonnie78 »

Clear. I am still happy with my Horus X10S running OpenTx. For me the OpenTx FrSky combi was great, but if FrSky steps away from the OpenTx theater, then I will keep my eyes open to other manufacturers that will offer OpenTx compatible stuff

Hobby4Life

Post by Hobby4Life »

I don't know why openx wouldn't work on the X20 in the future. The fact that the current team has made a statement that it does not want to do it does not mean that others will want to tackle it in the future. after all, it is open source software. unless there are strict hardware related issues why this should not be possible.
And if it turns out that OpenTX is more popular than Ethos in the end. Go figure.
Gr. Björn
www.hobby4Life.nl
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Other firmware would have a chance of being more popular, but them wanting to avoid that to push adoption of theirs is precisely the likely reason why they're not giving info about the radio to other devs this time.

In return there's no reason to throw effort into getting other firmwares to run on it through reversing it and give them the gift of more sales when there are other options where the manufacturer is happy to cooperate, if they want their radios to sell based on their own firmware and their own decided limitations on interoperation then just let them try that.
Aldo68

Post by Aldo68 »

From "outside", to me, seems a big mistake by FRSky leave Open-tx software. At the end of the story they become super popular because combination of good hardware, and a unique fantastic software at reasonable price. They demonstrate any modeller can have access to "contemporary" functionalities and channels number at "contemporary" price, versus certain (dinosaurs) standard-considered expensive brands. Personally: I will follow open-tx wherever hardware they will go in a distant future, and I bet I will not the only one! Software development is very very expensive and time consuming, so their decision will put a long shadow before "stabilise" their future products. Again only my opinion.
cattlebaron

Post by cattlebaron »

They have lost me. I have used FRSky x9D since 2013 and it is sad to say goodby to a "friend"
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

However, you can start using erskyTx on the X20, see: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=13679.
With this, you still also have Ethos as well as getting erskyTx. In case you didn't know, openTx is, effectively, a fork of erskyTx.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”