Audio for Turnigy TGY 9X?

citfta

Audio for Turnigy TGY 9X?

Post by citfta »

I realize this has probably been discussed several times but I can't seem to find what I want to know. I have spent a couple of days online looking for any answer.

I am trying to find out how to add audio to my TGY 9X. I have found some different ways of doing it by adding some boards to the transmitter. But it seems that most of those boards are no longer available. What also has me confused is there is a video of someone flipping the switches on his transmitter and hearing a voice describing what he is doing. He claimed in the video he only changed the piezo out and put a small speaker in its place and then turned on the audio by checking the check box in Companion. I would have thought there would have to be more to it than that. I do see the audio check box in my version of Companion. And I can change out the piezo for a speaker if that would work.

My goal is to be able to get audio information about height and speed while flying my sailplane. I have the FrSky receiver with data hub and a vario and GPS modules. They seem to be working Ok. The version of Open TX I am using is r 2940.

And my last question is will newer versions of Open TX work on my older TGY 9X? It seems most of them are more specifically for the Taranus.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Carroll

jhsa

Re: Audio for Turnigy TGY 9X?

Post by jhsa »

You need to build this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6831

No, it will not work with OpenTX. You need to use Er9x.

Yes, with this you will be able to listen to your telemetry info.

No, you cannot just connect a speaker to the radio :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
citfta

Post by citfta »

Thank you! I will check it out.

Carroll
citfta

Post by citfta »

Well I have done some more research and opened up my transmitter to see what is in it. I bought it used and did not do the mods myself. I found it has the Smartiparts board rev 2.1 installed with the back light mod and of course the usb programming adapter. I also found there is a small Sparkfun board with no other markings on it that is apparently the interface between my DHT module and the Smartiparts board. I am assuming that is for the telemetry back from the DHT to the transmitter. The DHT module has been hardwired in. Since I already have the Smartiparts board would it be possible to just add a SD card reader module? And would any of the versions of firmware I could load into the 9x be able to read the data from the SD card reader if I did it that way?

Carroll

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”