eepskye Linux crashes

eepSKYe is the desktop too for flashing and managing your sky9x firmware.
Suncoaster

eepskye Linux crashes

Post by Suncoaster »

I have not used eepskye for quite some time, and the version I was using is 422 with a date of 25th February 2018. It had a couple of minor problems with resizing windows but all the other functions I needed operated ok including the new model wizard which at some time prior to this version it did not.

So I downloaded the latest version from er9x.com and ran into problems. Firstly the new model wizard crashed the system and I then tied to edit a curve in the model I was editing and the system crashed again. The version of this program was 423 with a date of 10th May 2019.

IIRC the version 422 I had been using was built and by another user on the forum.

I have attached the error messages from the terminal, which may be of some help in tracking down the problem.

Dave
Attachments
Error.txt
(550 Bytes) Downloaded 338 times

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: eepskye Linux crashes

Post by MikeB »

On the erskyTx test versions thread I've just posted an update for eepskye for Linux. This should fix those two bugs. I've only posted the main executable, just unzip the file and replace the executable you already have. Let me know if you need the full installation.

I have a build for the X10 OK. I need to check the driver for the internal module.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 am On the erskyTx test versions thread I've just posted an update for eepskye for Linux. This should fix those two bugs. I've only posted the main executable, just unzip the file and replace the executable you already have. Let me know if you need the full installation.

I have a build for the X10 OK. I need to check the driver for the internal module.

Mike
I think I need the full installation, when I run the new executable it complains about missing files. Take your time on the X10S build I am not in a terrible hurry for it.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I've posted a .deb file that might work! I don't use Linux normally, just have a copy of lubuntu that runs in a virtual box for me to do the builds with. Since I'm moving from QT4 to QT5, I had to work out how to make the build use QT5, it kept defaulting to QT4!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:58 pm OK, I've posted a .deb file that might work! I don't use Linux normally, just have a copy of lubuntu that runs in a virtual box for me to do the builds with. Since I'm moving from QT4 to QT5, I had to work out how to make the build use QT5, it kept defaulting to QT4!

Mike
That is my problem with the .deb installation it fails looking for libqt4-gui. Don't waste any more time on this issue, I will continue to use the version that is working for now.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'd actually like to get this working, so future releases will be from QT5.
The .deb I posted should be looking for QT5 files, so I'm not sure why it is looking for a QT4 file.
Is that lib file the only one it fails with?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

That was the first error, after I installed the qt4 file the next error is in the attached file.

Dave
Attachments
error.txt
(158 Bytes) Downloaded 326 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't use linux other than to run a build of eepe/eepskye on lubuntu in a virtualbox, so I need a few hints.
I've managed to get mint linux (18) installed in another virtualbox, so I can use that to test installing.
I think I know what to do about it looking for qt4 files when it should be looking for qt5 files.
What did you do to sort the "libqt4-gui" error when you ran the .deb file?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:02 pm I don't use linux other than to run a build of eepe/eepskye on lubuntu in a virtualbox, so I need a few hints.
I've managed to get mint linux (18) installed in another virtualbox, so I can use that to test installing.
I think I know what to do about it looking for qt4 files when it should be looking for qt5 files.
What did you do to sort the "libqt4-gui" error when you ran the .deb file?

Mike
The .deb file would not install because of the qt4 file not being present and will not continue. The errors in the files I attached were from the previous apps, namely the ones dated 10th and the 17th of May.

david@Mint-19:~$ eepskye1 This is from the one dated 10th May, when I attempted to run the wizard.
Gtk-Message: 16:00:57.432: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"

(eepskye1:21441): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:00:57.439: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
*** buffer overflow detected ***: eepskye1 terminated
Aborted (core dumped)

david@Mint-19:~$ eepskye1 This is from the one dated 10th May, when I attempted to edit a curve.
Gtk-Message: 16:06:20.038: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"

(eepskye1:21714): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:06:20.044: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

david@Mint-19:~$ eepskye2 This is from the one dated 17th May, and the program will not run.
eepskye2: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5PrintSupport.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Sorry for the confusion, but I had multiple copies on my machine and lost track of which one I was using. After my attempt to load libqt4-gui I then got more missing qt4 file messages so I gave up on this.

I am presently using a version built by another member of the forum and while this runs, it does not allow the resizing of edit windows and also crashed using the wizard, but it does allow me to edit curves which is what I was attempting to do when all this started. :cry: :cry:
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Running into a similar issue trying to install now I've moved over to Ubuntu 20.04 from Windows (long story but sick of the speed of Windows 10 - or lack of!).

If you could give a few tips of what's required to compile I could give it a go on here if you like?
Leigh

Current Kit:-
Taranis X9D plus running ErSkyTx - main radio.
Turnigy 9XR-Pro with internal FrSky DHT Module - used on the simulator.
Retired radios:-
Turnigy i10 with FlySky receivers.
Turnigy I6 - My first Tx now just used on Quads.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't know a lot about linux but I'll help as much as I can. I've been using lubuntu 14 in a VirtualBox under windows to build eepskye. I managed to get it to build, but I "inherited" the build files and I'm not sure what to change. I've installed a copy of mint linux in a VirualBox but it is too slow to use, it takes about 5 minutes just to boot up. I've also tried to install a more recent version of lubuntu in a VirtualBox, but that doesn't complete booting.
I picked lubuntu as I only want a compile environment for eepskye.

To compile eepskye, you need QtCreator. I've been using the version 4 I had installed under lubuntu. I have also got version 5.2 and I have been trying to build with that. It does build and run, but I cannot (yet?) get a .deb file that will install, the linux equivalent of .dll files are missing. It seems recent versions of linux only have 5.9 files available.

If there are any linux experts who can explain how to get the 5.2 "so" files for QtCreator installed, it should be possible to get my 5.2 build installed and running.

MIke
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

I'll take a look and see if I can get QtCreator running - hopefully it'll be a pretty straightforward setup but I'll give it a go and post back here with an update 👍
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Well, that worked successfully and I now have a usable 64bit Qt5 binary.

However, I now need to work out the best way to make it distributable but that's for tomorrow I think but so far so good!
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

OK, no idea if this will work but this *should* be a usable install file for Ubuntu and Debian variants that packages the required libraries together.

Untested on any other system as yet but in theory it it should work - just unzip, give execute permissions to the .run file and it should fire up the installer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5szokeorp3xwn ... n.zip?dl=0
Leigh

Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Sterling101 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:24 am OK, no idea if this will work but this *should* be a usable install file for Ubuntu and Debian variants that packages the required libraries together.

Untested on any other system as yet but in theory it it should work - just unzip, give execute permissions to the .run file and it should fire up the installer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5szokeorp3xwn ... n.zip?dl=0
Hi Leigh,

I can confirm the installer works :D and produces a working eepskye, the only issue I have found so far is the existing problem of the wizard not working for creating a new model. The other issue that I had reported in previous linux versions of not being able to resize windows is fixed in this version. The only options I have not tested is reading from and writing to the Tx, but I will test this tomorrow.

Good Job on this Leigh, I tried setting up and using QtCreator and failed. :(

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think the fix for the wizard might be to change line 49 in wizarddata.cpp to have only 10 spaces (not 12) in the string:
strcpy(name, " ");

I'm still working on getting eepskye to read/write the "EEPROM" (Sd Card) on Horus transmitters.

Leigh: Could you provide details of how you created the install package please?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Hi Mike,

I used a package called cqtdeployer which is available through the Ubuntu software installer and is a console run program.

I pulled the compiled eepskye file from where QT had built it and dropped it into a more accessible location - for me /home/leigh/eepe then used the following command in a terminal window after I'd changed to the right directory...

cqtdeployer -bin eepskye qif

That created the run file that I shared in the Distribution Kit sub-directory.
Surprised me how easily it worked if I'm honest!

Oh and Suncoaster - I tested comms to my 9XR and it worked fine :)
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

@Suncoaster - I've just recompiled with the changes Mike advised for getting the wizard working.

I've updated the download file with the new version so if you want to re-download and try again to see if it works or not? Seems to have grown in size somewhat (108Mb now) but I recompiled QT for static binaries this morning so it's probably that causing it.
I just tried setting up a model with the wizard and it seemed to go through ok but I've never actually used it before so be worth you testing it.
Leigh

Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Sterling101 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:22 pm @Suncoaster - I've just recompiled with the changes Mike advised for getting the wizard working.

I've updated the download file with the new version so if you want to re-download and try again to see if it works or not? Seems to have grown in size somewhat (108Mb now) but I recompiled QT for static binaries this morning so it's probably that causing it.
I just tried setting up a model with the wizard and it seemed to go through ok but I've never actually used it before so be worth you testing it.
Hi Leigh,

Where is the file to download as the link above comes up with a file not found error. :( :?

Dave
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Ooh I wonder if Dropbox has redone the link when I replaced the file? Not normally something I use so it's possible.
I've recreated the shared link to the new file so try this one instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d74yrwytkh6ux ... n.zip?dl=0
Leigh

Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Leigh

That was the problem and now all is working fine. The wizard is now also working as I remember it. Thank you very much as I hated having to start a virtual Win 7 system just to use the wizard.

As a suggestion maybe you could check for an existing system and offer to remove it and replace with the later version.

Dave
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Cheers for the feedback Dave.

I think the link is just how dropbox works so not a lot I can do about it but it'll stay live for the time being anyway.

Glad it's working well though - I installed Mint Linux on a spare laptop and tested it on there to be sure too and it seems it's a good installer, just a little bigger than the usual small binaries as it packages the whole lot together.
Leigh

Return to “eepSKYe”