First Jeti Sensor was a bust

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

profilebroken

First Jeti Sensor was a bust

Post by profilebroken »

I took an openXsensor GPS that that I built that was previously set up and working on OpenTx (mini pro and Neo 8). I downloaded the latest openXsensor on Github and configured the basic and advanced config files for a Jeti GPS sensor. It compiled and uploaded with no errors. Once plugged in, the GPS module was blinking away and got a lock shortly thereafter. However, the sensor is not recognized in JetiBox, so as near as I can tell something is not right.

I attached my basic and advanced config files. Any insight on what I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks.
Attachments
oXs_config_basic.h
(11.46 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
oXs_config_advanced.h
(15.95 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

mstrens

Re: First Jeti Sensor was a bust

Post by mstrens »

In oXs_config_basic.h you have
#define A_MPU6050_IS_CONNECTED YES // select between YES , NO

Try using NO instead of YES (you do not have such a sensor; it could be that it blocks the program)

Normally oXs GPS works with Jeti.
profilebroken

Post by profilebroken »

Thanks mstrens. Its all good now.
profilebroken

Post by profilebroken »

I have another question/issue.

I want the GPS to pass HDOP and the number of satellites. In advanced config section 2.5 I uncommented the lines:
#define FILL_TEST1_WITH_GPS_NUMBER_OF_SAT
#define FILL_TEST2_WITH_GPS_HDOP

During compilation, I get the following error message in openXsensor.ino:

C:\Users\kwfre\Documents\Arduino\openXsensor - Jeti\openXsensor\openXsensor.ino: In function 'void calculateAllFields()':

openXsensor:1178:8: error: 'GPS_fix' was not declared in this scope

if ( GPS_fix ) {

^~~~~~~

C:\Users\kwfre\Documents\Arduino\openXsensor - Jeti\openXsensor\openXsensor.ino:1178:8: note: suggested alternative: 'GPS_lat'

if ( GPS_fix ) {

^~~~~~~

GPS_lat

exit status 1
'GPS_fix' was not declared in this scope

Not sure what I am doing wrong here. I am attaching the project openXsensor zip.

Thanks again.
Attachments
openXsensor.zip
(349.75 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

I found a bug in the program.
It was ok for Frsky protocol but not for others.
I fix it in a new version that I just put on github.
Please dowload new version and edit config files according your needs.

profilebroken

Post by profilebroken »

Many thanks! It compiled.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Please note that even if it compiled, I do not think it will works because it is not foreseen to transmit the TEST1,2,3 fields in the Jeti protocol.

The TEST1, 2, 3 are foreseen for the Frsky protocol to reuse predefined telemetry fields for other purposes.
This has not been implemented for Jeti.
Fabe

Post by Fabe »

mstrens wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:04 pm Please note that even if it compiled, I do not think it will works because it is not foreseen to transmit the TEST1,2,3 fields in the Jeti protocol.

The TEST1, 2, 3 are foreseen for the Frsky protocol to reuse predefined telemetry fields for other purposes.
This has not been implemented for Jeti.
Hi mstrens,

I have trouble with GPS + JETI : I don't receive values from GPS device. Telemetry fields are present while scanning sensors and receiver gets values from MS5611, but nothing from GPS.

GPS works into U-Center software, and I wait a fix before checking values. I try to invert TX and RX from GPS : same results.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Have you tried in U_center software to reconfigure the GPS e.g. changing the baud rate, the type of messages being sent, ...

Some GPS said as NEO6,7 or 8 are clone and do not accept to be reconfigured and to generates UBOX type messages.

oXs send Ublox commands to the GPS and so the GPS must be full compatible with UBLOX gps.

Take care : do not invert TX and RX because it could destroy the Arduino and/or the GPS.

Note: even when the gps led is blinking, oXs does not sent immediately the GPS data because it wait for one next level of fix (in order to be sure to get a good position as firts data)
Fabe

Post by Fabe »

You are too fast !

I make some tests :

- It's a Drotek M8N, I think it's not a fake UBLOX chip
- Fix and U-Center works, with USB connector (9600)
- Try to connect U-Center with FTDI, and 9600 bds : not working
- With Autobaud, U-Center finds device at 57600 bds
- I changed it to 9600, but what are other parameters to set ? Protocol In, Protocol Out ?

Thanks
Fabe

Post by Fabe »

Ok, my bad, it's working.

Original baudrate was nos correct (57600), I changed it, Send it, but not saved it into Flash memory.

After flash, I can get values after GPS Fix !

Thanks a lot, your job is awsome!
Fabe

Post by Fabe »

Hi all,

Sensor works, but it seems I don't have a lot of values.

For example : for a fly, I have 500 log entries for Jeti Mvario, 400 log entries for MU-3, but only 90 log entries for OpenXsensor GPS.

I use an Expander for connecting 4 sensors.

What can be wrong ?
Attachments
LOGS.PNG
Test LOGS.log
(131.88 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

GPS deliver a new position only 10X per second (max) (défault in oXs is even 5 X per second but can be set on 10X in config file)
Further on GPS set of data requires to transmit more data than a vario.
FYI, oXs vario can calculate a new Vspeed 50 X per sec. Still the number of different datas being sent per second depends on the number of data to transmit because there is a limit in the number of bytes per sec (throughput)
Fabe

Post by Fabe »

Thanks for your answer.

I understand for GPS. I use a NEO8, I will try to update to 10Hz.

But, why, during same same timelapse, OXS Vario transmits 118 entries and a Jeti Vario 580 entries ?
Is there a priority for telemetry message ? Maybe a wiring trouble ?

This graph can confirm : OXS's and Jeti's Altitude are perfectly identical ;)
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

I think that there are 2 jeti protocols
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/Telemetry-P ... -Protocol/

oXs uses the first one that works at 9600 bauds and allows the sensor to send some data only once every 20 msec

Perhaps that Jeti sensor uses the second protocol that works at a125000 or 250000 bauds and allows to send data every 4 msec
Fabe

Post by Fabe »

I'll remove MVARIO for next fly, and I'll change OXS configuration for scanning GPS to 10Hz.

Thanks for your help !
profilebroken

Post by profilebroken »

Darn it. I wanted to repurpose a OpenXSensor FrSky GPS module to the JETI protocol.

Everything compiled and uploaded just fine. However, when I downloaded the telemetry files I noticed on playback that my GPS location was somewhere in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. The flight data looked good, except for the starting location.

I flashed another FrSky GPS to JETI, with the same results. I am scratching my head here. Any ideas?
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Check that GPS module with U-center ....

br
profilebroken

Post by profilebroken »

I had to buy another usb to FTDI adaptor as my old one finally died. The replacement came in yesterday, I disconnected the GPS from the Arduino, connected the GPS to Ucenter, and Ucenter gave me the correct Long/Lat. I hooked up the GPS to the OpenXSenosr Jeti flashed Arduino, and Jeti telemetry was again placing the unit in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. This exercise was repeated on my second Jeti GPS sensor with the same results. So, the GPS units are good on Ucenter, but the location is biased incorrectly on the Jeti telemetry end.

Anyone else having issues with OpenXSensor Jeti GPS sensors?
profilebroken

Post by profilebroken »

Update.

I reflashed one of my location compromised Jeti configured OXS GPS back to FrSky. FrSky telemetry matches UCenter for location. I reflashed my OXS GPS back to Jeti, and the location is not correct. I live in Florida, but my Jeti OXS GPS sensor thinks I live somewhere south of Galveston TX in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, as it did before. At least the Jeti location bias in the transmitter and UCenter appears to be consistent.

I never noticed this before as I really only used GPS for speed and altitude. However, when I decided to look at the Google Earth plot of the last flight of one of my planes, I saw the flight was nowhere near my location.

I am not sure, but I think the OXS Jeti GPS code has a bug... Is there anything I need to provide to troubleshoot this?
profilebroken

Post by profilebroken »

I solved my Jeti OXS GPS issue by building and flashing an RC Thoughts Jeti GPS sensor. Amazingly enough, the same GPS module that read the location incorrectly with OXS is dead on with RC Thoughts. Too bad, as I had several Arduino's built per OXS and set up for flashing.
ronron84

Post by ronron84 »

we use oxs on 3 Jeti radio with beitian bn180 and b220 and they just work perfectly, the accuracy is 5 meters. enough to find your glider in a hole.
profilebroken

Post by profilebroken »

Last appeal for some help with this. I downgraded back to Arduino IDE 1.6.1 with the same GPS location error. I've attached my config.h and advanced config files.
Attachments
oXs_config_basic.h
(11.6 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
oXs_config_advanced.h
(16.64 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”