New to openXsensor - GPS and smartport question

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

Endorphin

Re: New to openXsensor - GPS and smartport question

Post by Endorphin »

kalle123 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:27 pm ..............................
I have a BN-180 here and I can reassure you, you can connect those BN-180 and BN-220 as described in chapter '**** 9 - GPS (optionnal)'
Karl,

I too now have a BN-180 GPS module and and arduino nano flashed with the openXsensor sketch.
I am looking at Chapter #9 to gain information for the correct connections to make from the GPS (Vcc, Tx,Rx, Gnd) to the nano.

However, the instructions in Chapter #9 states:

"- GPS Vcc is normally connected to Arduino Raw pin (which is normally connected to Vcc from the receiver). "

And.....when I search out the arduino nano pinout connections, I see no mention of a "raw" pin.
What is this pin? It must have another number or name?
Attachments
No "raw" pin here??
No "raw" pin here??

mstrens

Post by mstrens »

If you power supply is about 5V, you can connect it to VIn. The Gps can also be connected to VIn.
For a nano, I expect that VIn will be similar to Vraw for a pro mini.
Endorphin

Post by Endorphin »

Thanks Michael.
Still leaves me with a mystery though...........about this "raw" pin!
gastolectric

Post by gastolectric »

Endorphin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:31 pm Thanks Michael.
Still leaves me with a mystery though...........about this "raw" pin!
Hi Jim,

My understanding of these things is 'raw' means you can power the board with anything from 5-12V on the "Vin" pin - so in the case where you're powering Vin from a higher than 5V voltage source, then you need to use the regulated 5V that the board puts out on pin "5V" to provide power to the GPS which is limited to a 5V source.

But if your input to the Nano is 5V then you can simply connect the input to Nano and output to GPS to the "Vin" pin

Sketch attached

Cheers
Greg
Attachments
Arduino nano pinout.png
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Indeed, if you have a 5V regulated power supply, you can connect it to the 5V pin GPS can also be connected this way.
Still when using e.g. a 4.8 V NiMh battery, the voltage when it is just charged is more than 6V. It is then safier to use VIN (= RAW).
When input voltage goes below 5.5V on VIN, the internal regulator of the Arduino can't provide anymore 5V and the output voltage can go down e.g. to 4V. Still, this is not an issue because AVR328P still works at this lower voltage.

When I build an oXs for someone using a high input voltage (e.g. 2 lipo = 8.4V) I usually use an external voltage regulator that can dissipate more than the regulator on the Arduino board. I connect then the output of this regulator to VIN (it could even be to 5V)

Endorphin

Apologies for the late reply.

Post by Endorphin »

Hi Jim,

My understanding of these things is 'raw' means you can power the board with anything from 5-12V on the "Vin" pin - so in the case where you're powering Vin from a higher than 5V voltage source, then you need to use the regulated 5V that the board puts out on pin "5V" to provide power to the GPS which is limited to a 5V source.

But if your input to the Nano is 5V then you can simply connect the input to Nano and output to GPS to the "Vin" pin

Sketch attached

Cheers
Greg
[/quote]

Thanks Greg, that is clear.
Endorphin

Post by Endorphin »

mstrens wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:39 am Indeed, if you have a 5V regulated power supply, you can connect it to the 5V pin GPS can also be connected this way.
Still when using e.g. a 4.8 V NiMh battery, the voltage when it is just charged is more than 6V. It is then safier to use VIN (= RAW).
When input voltage goes below 5.5V on VIN, the internal regulator of the Arduino can't provide anymore 5V and the output voltage can go down e.g. to 4V. Still, this is not an issue because AVR328P still works at this lower voltage.
Thanks for your reply too Michael.
However, it has me more confused than ever.
What you say "safer to use", I assume you mean safer to connect the main +voltage in to it, correct?

Must be my mind I think.............never mind.............I will follow what Greg has said above. (am I getting old? yes!)

Jim.
Endorphin

Post by Endorphin »

gastolectric wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:30 am ......................................
The GPS connects Tx(gps) to Rx0 pin on Nano and GND(gps) on adjacent pin GND pin to Rx0, D6 connects via 10K resistor to Rx(gps) shows 3.7V after resistor. 5V on gps connects to 5V pin on nano
Greg,

My interpretation of your sentence above:

GPS Arduino nano

Tx. Connects to > Rx0
Rx. connects to > 10k resistor to D6
5V connects to > 5V
Gnd connects to > Gnd

Is this correct?

I was getting a bit confused with this, and just need to make sure I have it right.

Jim.
gastolectric

Post by gastolectric »

Endorphin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:45 am
gastolectric wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:30 am ......................................
The GPS connects Tx(gps) to Rx0 pin on Nano and GND(gps) on adjacent pin GND pin to Rx0, D6 connects via 10K resistor to Rx(gps) shows 3.7V after resistor. 5V on gps connects to 5V pin on nano
Greg,

My interpretation of your sentence above:

GPS Arduino nano

Tx. Connects to > Rx0
Rx. connects to > 10k resistor to D6
5V connects to > 5V
Gnd connects to > Gnd

Is this correct?

I was getting a bit confused with this, and just need to make sure I have it right.

Jim.
Spot on Jim...
Endorphin

GPS & Vario success!

Post by Endorphin »

I got my openXsensor working this morning. One of my arduino nano boards is serviceable and I was able to upload to it after many attempts.
It is now satisfying to see my coordinates displayed on the telemetry screen in my Taranis X9DPlus.
Thanks Greg.
My vario is working in the combination openXsensor, but it is sensitive to the point of instability. It might be the particular BMP280 that I am using.
I will order a BMP180 and try that when it arrives.
Progress happens!

Jim.
Last edited by Endorphin on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gastolectric

Re: GPS & Vario success!

Post by gastolectric »

Endorphin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:49 pm I got my openXsensor working this morning. One of my arduino nano boards is serviceable and I was able to upload to it after many attempts.
It is now satisfying to see my coordinates displayed on the telemetry screen in my Taranis X9DPlus.
Thanks Greg.

However, now my vario will not work properly. It was working before. More investigation required.

Jim.
Well done for preserving Jim - it certainly isn't for the 'faint hearted'
Endorphin

When all else fails, read the instructions!

Post by Endorphin »

Endorphin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:49 pm ....................
My vario is working in the combination openXsensor, but it is sensitive to the point of instability. It might be the particular BMP280 that I am using.
I just realised that there are sensitivity settings in oXs_config_ advanced.h

I will reduce that to 20 down from 80 and upload again.
Probably fix the stability problem.
sandyjain

GPS Speed too high

Post by sandyjain »

I flew a MPX funjet with the GPS sensor today...

I got values of 200+ KMPH and max was 416 KMPH... which seem rather too fast to be true...

I am using a Ublox Neo 6M on Arduino Pro 5/16 with an X4R and Horus X10 OTX 2.3.9.
I have uncommented KMH in OXS and selected KMH in Horus Tx Telemetry.

Any calibration, tips, ideas ??

I had test the set up in my car at 40-60 KMPH and it showed perfectly matched against google maps and my cars odometer...

Is there a thing at higher speeds ??
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You must make sure the GPS dynamic model is configured to "Airborne < 4g" or it'll go bonkers with the accelerations you give it when touching the controls at high speed.
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

I have uncommented KMH in OXS and selected KMH in Horus Tx Telemetry

Leave mph in OXS and select kmh in TX. The TX will convert from miles to kilometer

Regards
Christoph

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”