Frsky Hall Effect RPM Sensor ?

Projects that are not for RC, but are cool and worthy of development.
nickxab

Frsky Hall Effect RPM Sensor ?

Post by nickxab »

Hello again :D
I have an monster truck with a nitro engine.
I wanna have RPM data of the engine, FrSky's optical sensor doesn't really help. :cry: I remember in past i saw something about a hall effect sensor
and magnet on the flywheel. :lol:
Did anyone try it ? If yes do i need one magnet ? can i have 3 on the flywheel and set it up as 3 blades on the firmware?
My hardware is this:
D8R-II plus
FSH-01 (the hub)

It's the old telemetry system. :lol:

PS: Sorry if post that on a wrong section :?

kalle123

Re: Frsky Hall Effect RPM Sensor ?

Post by kalle123 »

nickxab

Post by nickxab »

Oooh this looks interesting. 🤔
I didn't understand if i can use my existing hub and just plug an arduino base hall sensor on it instead of the optical.🤔🤔😅
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The RPM input on the hub is connected directly to a processor pin. The three connections are 0V, signal, and 5V. I assume the signal is just pulses from the original, optical RPM sensor. Ideally keep the signal in the range 0-3.3V, although I believe the processor pin is 5V tolerant.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

A few years ago I have built an oXs (OpenXsensor) with RPM sensor. You need an Hall effect switch and a couple magnets. I think you can tell the code how many magnets you have installed.
And I actually never finished this project 100%. It consists of a Battery backup system, the RPM sensor, an onboard Glowplug driver controlled by the radio and with bad (open) glowplug detection, and a fuel level sensor. I never managed to finish the fuel level sensor and make it work reliably. :( So, the project is halted until I learn more about coding :) :D :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

nickxab

Post by nickxab »

Hmm i see...well i have to experiment a bit...sadly i have no clue about coding :lol: :lol:

jhsa, i was reading about that on the github. :lol: actually my last questions was aimed for this project :lol:

I was thinning to use the existing Frsky hub :roll:
So i had something like this in my mind: (hall sensor) -> (arduino) -> (frsky hub) -> (receiver)
Could i use all old sensors with this project ? Currently i have these: Temp sensors (TEMS-01), Fuel Sensor (FGS-01), GPS (GPS-01), Battery sensor with the lcd, 3axis (TAS-01) and the RPM sensor (RPMS-01) which i wanna replace with a magnetic one.

Or do you guys think it's better to convert an arduino to hub and replace the frsky hub with arduino ? :lol:

Also i saw about the Hitec hub, looks pretty similar with Frsky's hub, does anyone has it ? :roll:
nickxab

Post by nickxab »

UPDATE:
I plugged the hall sensor directly on the frsky hub.
I glued one magnet on a PC fan and i connected it to the PC so i could monitor and compare the results.
Sadly i have only one magnet at the moment (waiting for the new order to arrive) luckily on the firmware i could set the RPM to 1 blade :lol: so i gave it a go.

So here are my results.
Now i will wait for the magnets pack to arrive and test it with 3 magnets to see if it will be more accurate.

Return to “Other Electronic Projects”