ERSKY9X on Taranis

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ERSKY9X on Taranis

Post by MikeB »

Could you be more specific, please, on the problems in eepskye with custom switches and curves.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

ckleanth

Post by ckleanth »

MikeB wrote:I may confuse things having two binaries in a single file.
The openTx r2940 just has the bootloader and a fix for the countdown.
The x9d.bin (ersky9x for Taranis) has the haptic and GPS code in. I haven't had a chance to actually fly with the GPS code, too windy most of the time to fly at all here.
The units for the acceleration sensors are 0.001g.

Mike.
Hi mike, would it be possible to add to your r2940 the gps fix to test? (Not bothered about haptic at the moment as I have revA and cant afford to break my tx whilist attempting to solder the wires to the pcb)
Thanks
If it has wings it will fly...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please could you be more specific about the GPS fix. Is this the code that FrSky put into their version of the firmware?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ckleanth

Post by ckleanth »

Hi mike, Not sure what the gps fix is I only know that based on personal experience gps velocity and attitude measures are way off and that andre mentioned the gps issue is fixed for opentx 2.0.
I thought you had some gps test code for ersky9x?
I fly usually weekdays weather permitting but at the moment I use r2940 standard opentx
if you have/can implement a gps velocity and attitude fix on top of your modified r2940 I can do a flight test before weekend if not wet
If it has wings it will fly...
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

Hi Mike. I was in a rush when I wrote about the problem with custom switches and I knew you would want more info if you were not aware of a problem. I have a set of mixes and custom switches which do a nice job of simulating aircraft strobe lights when attached high power led's are attached to an electronic switch. This all works on the aircraft but not on eePskye for Taranis.

Aircraft: Fliton mini Extra 330
Mixes:
CH06 +100%FULL Switch (SW9)
CH16 +100%FULL (!SWA) Slow (u1.2:d0)

Switches:
CSwitch7 v>ofs CH16 -50
CSwitch8 |v|>ofs CH16 20
CSwitch7 AND SW8 SG- SFv
CSwitchA Timer 1 0.6

This example is for a different aircraft with a crow flap setup. The problem is with CH06 and CH07 following CH11. CH11 seems to work properly. I had thought wit was the curve (c10) in CH11 but that is working correctly. Only the relevant mixes are shown.

Aircraft: Top Model Prelude

Mixes:
CH01 +100%THR Curve(c9)

CH06 +100%CH11
CH07 +100%CH11

CH11 +100%FULL Switch(!SCv) Offset (-20%)
R+100%SL Switch(SC-) Offset (80%)
R+100%THR Switch(SCv) curve(c10)

Curves:
Curve 9 -100 -100 -100 -100 -100 -100 -33 33 100
Curve 9 80 31 -22 -85 -85 -85 -85 -85 -85

Below are the relevant eepm files with the complete setups

Paul
Attachments
Prelude.eepm
Top Model Prelude with Crow mix
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Fliton Xtr.eepm
Fliton mini Extra 330
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I have the fix for the Prelude. Things are shifted on the Taranis due to the fourth 'POT' (second slider). eepskye was looking one channel out!

The Fliton looks like eepskye isn't handling the custom switch Timer when using less then 1 second. I'll look into that tomorrow.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted a new test version of eepskye that, I think, fixes your problems. It's on the ersky9x test versions thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676#p65894).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

Both bugs are fixed. Thanks Mike

Paul
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

Summary
I have uploaded Ersky9x version er9xd-r204 dated 11/5/2014 into my Taranis successfully using my Macintosh Pro notebook with OS 10.9.3 (latest Mavericks). I want to update the bootloader but can not find the er9xd_rom.bin file in the Taranis equivalent of maintenance mode. The beep on centre options on page 1/13 Model Setup pages do not include an option for the right slider.

Brief notes: ask me for details if you are interested and I will explain in more detail.
1) latest Companion9x for Mac does not work reading or writing firmware. A message appears saying dfu-util can not find a usb compatible device. The same dfu-util path allows reading the models. Radio was off for reading/writing firmware and on for reading models.
2) Companion9x version 1.51 works with the same path as above (/opt/local/bin/dfu-util ) with both firmware and eeprom.
3) As a trial, OpenTx ver 2.x was loaded OK with one error regarding playing the model name. Otherwise the model files seed to be functionally OK.

Two options were considered for uploading X9D firmware:
1) use Companion9x and load X9D from the computer
2) use the bootloader and load X9D from the SD card. Copy firmware to FIRMWARES (plural ! ) folder and Voice folder to root directory of SD card using an SD card holder in the USB port.

Option 1
Flashing using Companion9x does not work. After flashing X9D the radio buttons still work in Taranis mode. The screens are full width. The pages do not load in either Taranis of Ersky9x format. They looked like home pages for Taranis but strange. Model setup pages and Radio setup pages could not be accessed using either Taranis or Ersky9x buttons. Quit promptly because X9D was obviously not installed properly.

Option 2
In Taranis bootloader mode X9D flashed OK. A message came up saying that the Eeprom was being updated. (Subsequently I found a duplicate of every model on the SD card but without the dates in the model name)
After adjusting the Radio Setup parameters, calibrating the sticks, resetting the clock, checking the voltage alarm setting, all the Ersky9x screens are working but there is only Model 01 in the list of models. RESTORE does not work to load any model from the SD card.
Connected radio to Companion9x in mass storage bootloader mode. Backup model (.bin) files load into Companion but will not write to the radio.
Connected radio to Eepskye. Backup model files will not load into Eepskye.

Conclusion
Except for having to re-enter some of my models I consider this update successful. I now have all my transmitters using the same firmware. I have most models duplicated on other transmitters so Eepskye should be able to load these files and write them to the radio. (I will have to update Eepskye too. I’ll use the one at the link above)(Edit 2.15 1-7-2014: No. Thats not a Mac version of Eepskye)

Question
I would like to load the FrSky bootloader to complete the transition from Taranis to Ersky9x. If I had not loaded Taranis v2.x I would not have been able to load X9D firmware of course but the Taranis bootloader remains after X9D is installed (Edit 1/7/2014 It was in fact loaded see Mikes post below)(Edit 2.00pm 1/7/2014: No It's the Taranis bootloader: firmware files cannot be found by the bootloader if the folder is renamed to the singular form of the word 'FIRMWARE' and the buttons work in Taranis mode according to Taranis labels) Maintenance mode yields an ‘update bootloader’ option but when I execute this I get a message “No Files”. There is also an option to ‘update internal XJT’ which I suppose is an update for the FrSky RF software.
I have read the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5668&p=80524&hilit ... der#p80524
about updating the bootloader but as I said above I don’t know where the Taranis bootloader expects the x9d-rom.bin file to be. It is certainly not the FIRMWARES folder because I have four .bin files in there and none of them show up when ‘update bootloader’ is executed.
Any Idea of how to do this anyone? Mike?

Steve
Last edited by Mutchy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Maintenance mode on ersky9x is looking fir a "FIRMWARE" (singular) directory to find the .bin files.
I just knew openTx changing to the plural would cause problems but they wouldn't change back before they released it!

The "Update internal XJT" is a work in progress, I hope to be able to update any Sport device in due course.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

Ahhhh. So what I am seeing IS the Ersky9x bootloader! I thought it was the OpenTx bootlloader. My apologies are offered. I will edit the above post.

So if I change the folder name to 'Firmware' now instead of 'FIRMWARES' the boot loader in maintenance mode will be able to find it. I'll try that later today.
BTW even though the folder is named FIRMWARES the bootloader can find the folder and the four .bin files in bootloader mode i.e. trim switches together at start - up. Its only when I try maintenance mode - trim switches apart - that I got the 'no files' message. I just retried maintenance mode and i did not get the 'no files' message . The radio just exited to the main home screens.

This looks like just another change in the process of upgrading the Taranis. The SOUNDS folder folder has to be removed together with the en sub folder full of Taranis .wav files and then a folder named Voice with all its Ersky9x .wav files added. Also the firmware folder should be renamed from 'FIRMWARES' to 'Firmware'(Edit 2.10 pm 1-7-2014: No the boot loader is the Taranis boot loader.It cannot find the firmware older if you don't use the folder name 'FIRMWARES'). Remove any models and logs from their folders. Delete the info , BMP, Docs and EEPROMS(Edit 2.00 pm 1-7-2014: the EEPROMS folder could be useful. May as well leave it there) folders and then re-enter your models into the radio and back them up to the SD card.

Thanks very much.
Steve
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

Taranis upgrade to Ersky9x.

In summary Tarnis bootloader remains installed after loading x9d-rom.bin upgrade. Maintenance mode does not work and it cannot be used to load the Ersky9x bootloader. Companion and Eepskye do not communicate with the radio any more. Models (.eepm) from other Ersky9x radios load and run OK if loaded directly onto the SD card.

I have successfully loaded model files with .eepm suffix from 9XR Pro to the SD card and 'Restore'ed them. Switches of all sorts need reprogramming. I'll have to check every line in the radio with the equivalent model file used in Taranis before flying.

Having changed the name of the FIRMWARES folder to Firmware (singular), the bootloader cannot find the folder. When in bootloader mode the buttons work in Taranis mode i.e. according to the Taranis labels. I had not noticed this before probably because I am so used to the Taranis buttons when I have the Taranis in my hands. The bootloader is definitely the Taranis bootloader, not the Ersky9x bootloader. In maintenance mode the firmware files were still not visible when the folder name was 'Firmware'. The presence of the option in maintenance mode to update XJT file must be a Taranis option as well as an intended Ersky9x option. I have changed the folder name back to FIRMWARES.

I tried uploading models using Eepskye but it won’t talk to the Taranis and won’t read Taranis model files. Companion9x for Mac. does not talk to the Taranis either. The dfu-util says it can not find a compatible usb device even though both disk images are on the desktop and can be opened in the finder, files loaded and normal operations completed.

Installing x9d-rom.bin means that all file management has to be done by direct insertion of the SD card into a computer port, no simulation is possible and all programming must be done in the radio.

Is it the design intention that the X9D upgrade run with the Taranis bootloader or is it supposed to be able to install it’s own bootloader?

Steve
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

I have reloaded the Taranis 2.05 firmware and restored the Eeprom.
X9D on Taranis is too hard. Maybe with a PC it could be easier.
Steve
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The bootloader being different makes it difficult to try other firmware.. Huummmmmm!!! :shock: :o :?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Well I tried very hard to get the bootloaders compatible, but openTx insisted on changing it. I produced a bootloader that was fully compatible across all platforms, but now, the openTx bootloader on Taranis is different.
Their reason for changing the name of the "firmware" directory doesn't even have anything to do with useability or compatibility, it's just they think it should be plural!

I thought that eepskye did look for the openTx version of the drives, with their different filenames as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, what about if eepskye was compatible with the opentx bootloader and allow to flash the ersky9x bootloader? Then people could go backwards and forwards. You could even leave all the folders in the card for both fw.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I am thinking about using FIRMWARE instead of FIRMWARES, I read a good explanation with a link to a english dictionnary where it was written it was an "invariant" word.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please do! It will just be simpler for all if it is the same across all bootloaders.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Merry Christmas with hope of Blessing this coming year,

Just flashed the Test version ersky9x-x9d (SVN: erx9d-r213 / VERS: V.1156-Mike / DATE: 18.12.2014 / MOD: X9D) to my Taranis
and created a new eeprom model program.

I have not setup Sound on ersky9x before and have watched João's sound videos.
Video Voice 1: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW9Bdrov0Ck)
Video Voice 2: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq3XGliAJDc)
Video Voice 3: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRosEfIqC0)

I have downloaded sound files, British Female - 22KHz 16 Bit: British Female - 22KHz 16 Bit: Sound files.
and unzip then and placed them in a file named Sounds.

I could not find voice files with names instead of numbers on them where can I find them ? :?:

Should I now move this sound file that I named Sounds to the SD card of my Taranis, I am not sure what I need to do next ? :?:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Try one of these packs

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5680

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi João,

I am not seeing the voice sound files to be selected in the: Voice/VA1/ Voice Alarm/Voice File.

I feel a bit thick here, I think I am not understanding something. :oops:
The only thing I can think of is I do not have the voice sound files properly labeled and/or in a proper folder or something.
The Audio Sounds are working, ;)
But the Number and Name files are not showing up. :cry:
See pictures below:
Voice File Name and/or Number files not showing up.
Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Numbered files (like 0001.wav) need to be in a "voice" subdirectory. Named files need to be in a "user" subdirectory off the "voice" directory.
So, numbered files in:
\voice
named files in:
\voice\user

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
KAL

Post by KAL »

bob195558 wrote:... and placed them in a file named Sounds ...
I don't know about the Taranis, but on the 9XR pro the directory has to be "\voice"
with subdirectorys "modelnames", "system" and "user".

Edit: Ooooops, too late ... ;)

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

KAL wrote: I don't know about the Taranis, but on the 9XR pro the directory has to be "\voice"
with subdirectorys "modelnames", "system" and "user".
This is valid for ersky9x whether in taranis or other platforms..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Directories are the same for SKY, 9XR-PRO and Taranis.

As named "system" voices were an addition, to be used as replacements for the original "numbered" system voice files, the firmware still uses these original numbered files as a "fallback" if the required named file is missing.

From the link above, use this pack: "Voice Pack 9XR-Pro 16Khz.zip", and make sure they are in the \voice directory.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
KAL

Post by KAL »

MikeB wrote:Directories are the same for SKY, 9XR-PRO and Taranis.
That was my assumption but I didn't know for shure ... :)

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi
I made a new directory folder file on the erSky9x Taranis SD Card and call it "voice" and placed in it
the Number voice files: 0000.wav to 0499.wav.
erSky9x Taranis Voice Folder 1
erSky9x Taranis Voice Folder 1
Then I placed with these Number wav sound files, the folder file called "user" which has the Name sound wav files in it.
erSky9x Taranis Voice  user Folder 2
erSky9x Taranis Voice user Folder 2
This did not work, :( so I tried changing the "voice" directory folder by making small case "v" to a cap: "Voice" and I had some good results
in that the Name sound wav files are showing up now and are working. :)
Name sound wav files
Name sound wav files
But I still have no Number voice wav files showing up. :(
I tried several other things and still no go.

I am still not understanding how the Number voice wav files need to be labeled.

Bob B.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

In the voice alarms menu you can select if it is a numbered file or a named file. please check it.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

:cry: Hi João,

I checked it again and still no Number wav files showing up so to be able to be selected.
No Number wav files to be selected.
No Number wav files to be selected.
:(
When powering the erSky9x Taranis it is playing the "Welcome to the 9XR-PRO" voice, which I think is one of the Number wav files, interestingly.
I am not sure what to try next.

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you select FileType "Number", you have the number 0 showing beside the Voice File label. You should be able to edit this to any other number. Suppose you set it to 28. You have now set the voice file to play to be 0028.wav from the \voice directory.
I don't understand why you needed to use an uppercase V for voice, mine are all lowercase, very odd.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”