ERSKY9X Coding

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ERSKY9X Coding

Post by MikeB »

Yes, I actually first tested it on a SKY board in a 9X.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Wonderful, thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Didn't mean to let the thread go to sleep, but have been busy with family travel and (some) flying, but also workshop building.
I have also (today) received my LiPo conversion kit for the X12S and have now installed it, with the charger working now - will take a look at how it holds a charge over the coming weeks.
Last Sunday, I finally got a chance to fly a couple of planes with the X12S, instead of my normal 9XRPro and QX7 radios. All went well, no issues, no faults. Even though the display is still lacking some refinement (yes, I still plan to ask for changes), the whole session (two planes, two flights each) was uneventful - nothing else to report -- that, in itself, is satisfying :)
Mike - if you've added any recent X12S enhancements, I'd be happy to try them out - I am currently using the version from 21-Mar-2019.
I have other questions on Ersky9x and also the XJT module repairs, but I'll keep those separate of this post, to reduce distractions within the notes.
regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,

Regarding SWR - can you tell me how this is calculated in Ersky9x, please? A club mate recently worked on an XJT module for me (see thread on EEPROM replacement to overcome 'beeping' problem) and commented on the SWR readings I was getting on two different antennae (each one received from FrSKy as part of an XJT module kit - I have two) when they were used on the same XJT module (and, the readings 'followed' each antenna when it was used in a second XJT module). One antenna consistently had SWR '0' or '1' and the other consistently had SWR '17' or '18'. Now, that in itself is one issue which I have yet to fully understand (bad coax connection? incorrect/mismatched 'active' part length? etc??) but my question is more about how the SWR values are calculated in Ersky9x. My clubmate reminded me of some details that I learned years ago (more than I care to count) but had long since forgotten -- his comments (quoted) were:

'…….SWR is usually expressed as a ratio, e.g. 1.4:1 and refers to the amount of RF that is reflected back to the transmitter by an out of tune antenna.

……… an SWR of 1.4:1 will reflect back 2.8% of the output RF, so a Tx putting out 100mW will only radiate 97mW, with the remainder reflecting back and heating up the output stages of the transmitter. An SWR of 2.0:1 is getting dodgy with over 10% reflecting back.

I don’t know what ersky means by an SWR of 17, do you have any documentation on that?

I couldn't answer him about how SWR is calculated in the Ersky9x scenario - can you advise, please?

regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No calculations done, I just report the value as provided by the XJT. I believe openTx does the same.

I've been busy on other things so nothing much done on the big colour display. I have been provided with a Jumper T16, that is pretty much a clone of the FrSky X10, so I may port ersly9x to it. I have it mostly working, although I'm waiting for technical details so I may complete the port. This has the same display as the X12 (just upside down, like the X10, which caused some work to be done), so is another test unit for display enhancements.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hmm, ok - guess it's a bit of a stretch to think that FrSky will tell us what they mean - maybe I can find it somewhere around the web - will go looking.

I'll still try to give some input about the colour display, but I think that it's good that you're getting another 'guinea pig' unit to work with - can only help, I think.

Regards,
Ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 am No calculations done, I just report the value as provided by the XJT. I believe openTx does the same.

I've been busy on other things so nothing much done on the big colour display. I have been provided with a Jumper T16, that is pretty much a clone of the FrSky X10, so I may port ersly9x to it. I have it mostly working, although I'm waiting for technical details so I may complete the port. This has the same display as the X12 (just upside down, like the X10, which caused some work to be done), so is another test unit for display enhancements.

Mike
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

This may not be of a help, but found this.
From OpenTX University: (http://open-txu.org/),
SWR 1:1 ratio: (http://open-txu.org/?s=SWR&x=15&y=14).
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Re FrSky X12 Lipo conversion - what is the consensus on 'storage' voltage for it during winter layup etc? I have one I was sent back along, but have yet to dismantle the X12 to fit it. What a shame FrSky did not design in a battery compartment with a door!

PS - Good grief I have so much to catch up on again with the leaps and bounds this firmware has progressed! Awesome stuff Mike. :D
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Can't help you, I'm sorry - we don't have a winter lay-up where I live :D and I have only just made this conversion recently.
RCHH wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:54 pm Re FrSky X12 Lipo conversion - what is the consensus on 'storage' voltage for it during winter layup etc? I have one I was sent back along, but have yet to dismantle the X12 to fit it. What a shame FrSky did not design in a battery compartment with a door!

PS - Good grief I have so much to catch up on again with the leaps and bounds this firmware has progressed! Awesome stuff Mike. :D
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

I suspect that, among the many other things that you do for us, this Jumper project might take up a bit of your time right now and, since the X12S seems like it is going to benefit from what you are doing with the Jumper, I'm happy to wait until you have had some more time working with these new displays before I ask for further work on the X12S version.

In the meantime, I have had an increasing number of requests from one or two clubmates to help them with their OpenTX radios (haven't managed to convert them to Ersky9x yet, but maybe later!), so I've loaded that on to my own X12S and have been flying a handful of my models with it (partly to also test out this radio, as it occasionally did a few unusual but unrepeatable or untraceable 'strange' things when loaded with Ersky9x). I can switch backwards and forwards between Ersky9x and OpenTX without too much effort or disruption, if I restrict it to a few models, so it's an interesting way to make comparisons.

The OpenTX displays are certainly attractive and easy to read, but the calculation and data manipulation abilities of Ersky9x (especially in dealing with Telemetry data, as well as manipulating Global Variables and Scalers) seem to be much more powerful than OpenTX -- early days in my learning curve, but I guess I'll try to push it harder to see what I can do.
MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 am

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have the Jumper T16 basically working, but I'm waiting for technical data from them to be able to complete the port (waiting 5 weeks so far!). If you have a display request or two I can stat thinking about them.
My time recently has been used working on the new, FrSky, ACCESS protocol. That is now about complete.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rad

Post by Rad »

Wow, this new Jumper T16 looks promising! If it has ersky9x I will get one for sure.

Maybe it is time to retire my old plain 9x...
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:48 am I have the Jumper T16 basically working, but I'm waiting for technical data from them to be able to complete the port (waiting 5 weeks so far!).
5 weeks? What are they afraid of?? :shock: Unbelievable. :cry: :?
That you disclose their hardware? You never did it before, why would you do it now? :o
And, it would take only someone like me to buy a radio to have a reversed engineered schematics ready for sharing with the community in no time. :mrgreen: They don't have to be afraid that you do it, because anyone can do it.. :)

I think it is in their own interest that they would have Ersky9x ported to their radio.. :evil: :twisted: :twisted:
Really, it is this kind of behavior that makes me love my 9x radios even more.
The DIY feeling is gone due to all this commercial products that came out. :( what a shame..
I really miss when we were testing Er9x features and fixes every day. It felt like Christmas all the time :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As with the T12, ersky9x won't support the FrSky 'X' protocol and SPort telemetry on the T16.
I would also question the 4-in-1 module shipped (as a commercial product) with the T16. That has a FCC number on it. Having read the FCC submission for that number, the module appears to have only been tested using one of the RF chips so, in my opinion, it is only legal for that one RF chip.
Also, in Europe, the implementation of the FrSky 'X' protocol isn't legal to use as it doesn't actually do a "Listen before Talk" and always transmits. The multiprotocol project is a DIY project with open source firmware. My understanding is that it is OK to use if you have made your own module, but NOT OK if you are selling it as a commercial product, when it should be fully compliant.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

LBT = EU claptrap. Myriad hopping RF devices operate non-LBT without any form of LBT. Even the railway safety devices I worked on in mh previous job ran 2.4GHz hopping and were not LBT ... phhht
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

In my opinion, LBT will make model flying more unsafe. The people that regulate sometimes have no idea of what they are doing.

About the FrSky protocol, the T12/16 crew should negotiate with them and get a permission, just like HK did.

Concerning the MultiProtocol module, yeah, what Mike said. I would have personally like it to stay as DiY. Even if we could buy the RF part already made. I think we still can??
But the actually mainboard should be DiY in my opinion. Perhaps people could buy the PCBs if they couldn't etch them themselves, but that's it.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For various reasons, partly because it runs on much more hardware than the original 9X, I'm going to rename ersky9x to erskytx.
The new splash screen and logo:
erskytx.png
erskytx.png (487 Bytes) Viewed 20114 times
Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Yes. Good idea.
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Will logo be ok for X12 Mike?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Finally you did it Mike :) It took you a few years ;) :mrgreen:
I like the new name :)
Thanks
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
fredericmorin

Post by fredericmorin »

Hey Mike, I started looking at improving latency in a drone racing context.
Found the code repo on github here: https://github.com/MikeBland/mbtx
But it seems to be somewhat outdated. Are you keeping the most up to date code somewhere else? Is it still open source?
I'd be happy to contribute my changes back to the project.

Best,
Fred
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I hadn't pushed the source files for a while so I didn't reveal the FrSky X9Lite was being developed. This is now being shipped, so I pushed the source files 10 hours ago, so ersky9x sources should be right up to date, ready for a r222 release.
The X9Lite is available with erskyTx firmware as well as openTx.

I now have code in to minimise latency when using FrSky 'X' modules. I synchronise with the module heartbeat, and there is a "double rate" option that sends all 16 channels every 9mS. The mixer runs every 2mS.
Minimum latency is obtained by using the SBUS output of the Rx. The servo outputs have a possible extra 9mS of latency.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Rad

Post by Rad »

Hi Mike, from where can we download the future test versions? Will you keep updating this? viewtopic.php?t=4676
Or there will be a new thread with the new name?

I have just seen the new Frsky X9 by the way. The first thing I thought it was another clone of the flysky, even the name is almost the same, lol.
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I'm getting some compile errors for AR9x and 9XRpro with the latest download.
File sTxsplash.lbm is missing (rename the s9xsplash.lbm as a fix)
In the "Makefile" I had to remove line 878 ("pxx2.cpp \") (There is no pxx2.cpp file in my download).

After that, it compiled without any further problems

Reinhard
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll try to push the missing files later today.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

My understanding is (and I may be wrong ) That if I purchased a T16 Then none of my X8R or S8R rx's would work . Even with my own multimodule. I totally understand why. it's a deal breaker for me as I only use erskTx . MikeB in your opinion do you believe that this may be fixed in the future ? Thanks for what you do

Allen
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

To alter that, it needs Jumper and FrSky to agree (in the same way HK and FrSky agreed with the 9XR-PRO) to allow FrSky D16 protocol to be used on the T16.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
antlerhanger

Post by antlerhanger »

I'm looking at the x10s radio , but if it doesn't have erskyTx then dealbreaker . Is it supported and if not will it be in the near future ? I know Mikeb said they didn't include him on the development but I hope they have now

Thanks
Allen
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Because the T16 appears to be a copy of the X10, I could build a version of erskyTx that should run on the X10. I have the code to handle the digital hall sensors of the X10S gimbals (used in the X-Lite). As I don't have either a X10 or X10S, I would need someone prepared to test the build and report any problems. I do have erskyTx running on the X12.
I'm still working on the bootloader for the T16 (and so the X10), but it works with the openTx bootloader anyway.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
dominict

Post by dominict »

MikeB wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:57 pm I'll try to push the missing files later today.

Mike
The pxx2.cpp is still missing and I have the same problem while compiling the code.

thanks,
Dom

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”