ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted "B3" test version. On the 9XR-PRO, if the crossfire "Shot" data is received, the values are displayed in the Debug menu (UP LONG, then right a few times). If these values are not zero, then please let me know what you see. If they are changing too fast to see what they are, then please create a raw log file of the telemetry data and post that for me to look at.

Colour screen radios have most menus centered, so they look better. There are also two high resolution screens available, where you configure what you want to see. These are still being developed, so any feedback on possible improvements is welcome. Configure them from the Telemetry menu, sub-choice (in the popup) of "HiRes".

Timers have an auto-reset option, set on the third timer menu page. When enabled, a timer will reset when it reaches the end count and carry on counting.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

LiM3

Post by LiM3 »

Debug menu show only zeros. TelRxCount is running.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

So either the module is not sending the scheduling data or I'm not receiving it.
Please do a raw log file of the telemetry data for 10 seconds so I may see what the module is sending.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
LiM3

Post by LiM3 »

I did check my ExpressLRS settings I have CRSFshot sync enabled.

Attached zipped raw log but I'm not sure if it's ok.
Attachments
ExLRS_race-2021-01-10-182955.zip
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, that's helped me sort a few things. I've just posted a test version for the 9XR-PRO that fixes things.
Hopefully, you will now see some non-zero values. The second value should tell me how far out of sync I am, but I don't know whether it means I need to go earlier or later (yet).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

yds

Post by yds »

@MikeB, I installed 223B3 on an X9E with M9 hall gimbals.. throttle was reversed, so I set the Global reverse throttle checkbox -- all good there so far, however the throttle trim still acts backwards from what's expected.. as if the reverse throttle checkbox applies only to the throttle stick and not the trim switch that gets paired up with the stick..
Last edited by yds on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LiM3

Post by LiM3 »

Now I can see non-zero values at 3rd row.
00001388 and second value running.

Got also raw log.
Attachments
ExLRS_race-2021-04-27-064129.zip
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

yds wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:16 am @MikeB, I installed 223B3 on an X9E with M9 hall gimbals.. throttle was reversed, so I set the Global reverse throttle checkbox -- all good there so far, however the throttle trim still acts backwards from what's expected.. as if the reverse throttle checkbox applies only to the throttle stick and not the trim switch that gets paired up with the stick..
All is working OK on my X9E (not M9 gimbals).
Have you looked at the "Throttle Reverse" option in the MODEL|GENERAL menu to see that is not checked.
I assume all was OK before the update.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:29 am All is working OK on my X9E (not M9 gimbals).
Have you looked at the "Throttle Reverse" option in the MODEL|GENERAL menu to see that is not checked.
I assume all was OK before the update.
[SOLVED] had to enable the Hardware menu and revers both Throttle and Pitch axis there and all is good now! including the trims working as expected for each stick. 8-) no need to revers throttle in MODEL|GENERAL after it's fixed via the HARDWARE menu. :D

to address this same issue, OpenTX has an option of "Horus Gimbals" when flashing to fix the vertical axis reversal for the DIY X9E M9 gimbal upgrade.

my first time trying ErSkyTX on the X9E with M9 gimbals -- X9D+ doesn't have this issue, only X9E for some reason..
LiM3

Post by LiM3 »

ExpressLRS ESP backpack mod in my R9M https://github.com/ExpressLRS/ExpressLR ... pack-Addon.

I can tx log messages and it looks like 200hz is ok: 2021-04-28T23:19:51.668Z CRSF Bad:Good 0:200
But lower rates 50hz and 100hz is out of sync:
2021-04-28T23:19:22.647Z CRSF Bad:Good 0:167
2021-04-28T23:19:23.647Z CRSF Bad:Good 0:166

Should be 50hz rate 0:50 and 100hz rate 0:100
yds

Post by yds »

@MikeB, if ErSkyTX or OpenTX supported CRSFshot for the internal module there'd be an internal ExpressLRS module designed for just about every radio within a week or less, given how the ExpressLRS community rolls.. any chance you could make that happen on the ErSkyTX side?

otherwise it's a chicken&egg situation -- no one even tries to design something cuz there's no way to select CRSF/Xfire for the internal module on any ErSkyTX radio..
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

LiM3 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:37 pm ExpressLRS ESP backpack mod in my R9M https://github.com/ExpressLRS/ExpressLR ... pack-Addon.

I can tx log messages and it looks like 200hz is ok: 2021-04-28T23:19:51.668Z CRSF Bad:Good 0:200
But lower rates 50hz and 100hz is out of sync:
2021-04-28T23:19:22.647Z CRSF Bad:Good 0:167
2021-04-28T23:19:23.647Z CRSF Bad:Good 0:166

Should be 50hz rate 0:50 and 100hz rate 0:100
Currently the firmware only reports the sync. data, it doesn't try to actually sync. I'm working on getting it to sync, I'm using the Multiprotocol to test this as it reports sync data in a very similar way. I'm close to having this working, but I had to do some changes to the Multiprotocol firmware as well!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

yds wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:02 pm @MikeB, if ErSkyTX or OpenTX supported CRSFshot for the internal module there'd be an internal ExpressLRS module designed for just about every radio within a week or less, given how the ExpressLRS community rolls.. any chance you could make that happen on the ErSkyTX side?

otherwise it's a chicken&egg situation -- no one even tries to design something cuz there's no way to select CRSF/Xfire for the internal module on any ErSkyTX radio..
Well all FrSky radios have an internal module built in, so to use CRSF on the internal module assumes you disconnect this and wire in a different module, how many users would do this?. Radios that support a non-FrSky internal module are the SKY board, AR9X board, 9XR-PRO, 9Xtreme and the FrSky clone radios that use the multiprotocol module. The first three are based on an Atmel processor and the internal module signal is difficult to drive with the CRSF protocol although it may be possible. None of these have support for switching the power to an internal module. The 9Xtreme is STM based, has an internal module power switch and should be possible to add CRSF to the available protocols. The clones do seem to include an internal Multi module now, so again, this would need to be replaced by the user.
Which radios are you considering?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:37 pm Well all FrSky radios have an internal module built in, so to use CRSF on the internal module assumes you disconnect this and wire in a different module, how many users would do this?. Radios that support a non-FrSky internal module are the SKY board, AR9X board, 9XR-PRO, 9Xtreme and the FrSky clone radios that use the multiprotocol module. The first three are based on an Atmel processor and the internal module signal is difficult to drive with the CRSF protocol although it may be possible. None of these have support for switching the power to an internal module. The 9Xtreme is STM based, has an internal module power switch and should be possible to add CRSF to the available protocols. The clones do seem to include an internal Multi module now, so again, this would need to be replaced by the user.
Which radios are you considering?
Mike, thank you for your reply. lemme quote what @pafleraf [og coder of CRSFshot PR for OpenTX] replied to the same question over on ExpressLRS discord:
no problem with that. It is fully supported on an internal module if required. you'll need a trick or two to have a CRSF module to work as internal, but that's another topic. Mixer sync is active/supported for any module. It should not be a huge trouble.
the modules would be variations of these designs to fit inside, replacing the internal module..
https://github.com/ExpressLRS/ExpressLR ... master/PCB

here's an example of an eager ExpressLRS user with a module designed to replace the internal radio in an X-Lite style handset from FrSky:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 203102.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

here's another example of an ExpressLRS module designed as a drop in fit to replace the internal Jumper T-Lite 4in1 MPM
https://github.com/ExpressLRS/ExpressLR ... 1280_TLite

such DIY mods would be popular for just about any common FrSky or RadioMaster/Jumper handset where it's at all feasible to design a replacement module.. ExpressLRS is getting so popular now that it's getting hard to find the new HappyModel ExpressLRS RXes in stock..

one use case with ExpressLRS' growing user base would be to install a 2.4GHz module as internal and a 915MHz module hooked up to the external interface (or the other way around).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't know anything much about the ExpressLRS system. I assume it is using the Crossfire protocol for communication between the radio and the module. Currently, this is done (for CRSF) by using the SPort signal (inverted, bi-directional serial) for both control and telemetry.
For an internal module, all that would be needed is to enable power to the internal module and use the SPort as for the external module.

Trying to use two modules has problems. The SPort signal is common to both internal and external modules, so is only available for one.
In most FrSky hardware, both modules have their own control signal from the radio to the module (driven by a timer, no UART available), but no dedicated signal for telemetry data, both use the SPort signal.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:49 pm I don't know anything much about the ExpressLRS system. I assume it is using the Crossfire protocol for communication between the radio and the module. Currently, this is done (for CRSF) by using the SPort signal (inverted, bi-directional serial) for both control and telemetry.
For an internal module, all that would be needed is to enable power to the internal module and use the SPort as for the external module.
TL;DR on the TX side the ExpressLRS module talks to the radio using CRSFshot over the S.Port pin, on the RX side ELRS talks to the FC over two-wire serial using CRSF -- on both sides it looks like a drop in replacement for a TBS TX/RX combo to the fw that ELRS is talking to..

ExpressLRS TX modules use the same CRSFshot protocol as Crossfire and Tracer over the external module S.Port pin.

if you happen to have any FrSky R9M hardware laying around it's fairly trivial to flash ExpressLRS onto that so you'd have something to test against.. https://github.com/ExpressLRS/ExpressLR ... are#900mhz

there's a secondary ExpressLRS bootloader .frk which needs to get flashed first, which enables flashing .elrs firmware onto R9 hw via the latest OpenTX -- here's Jakub's patch to make that happen on Nirvana https://github.com/open-flysky/Flysky-O ... baa33fa143
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:49 pm Trying to use two modules has problems. The SPort signal is common to both internal and external modules, so is only available for one.
In most FrSky hardware, both modules have their own control signal from the radio to the module (driven by a timer, no UART available), but no dedicated signal for telemetry data, both use the SPort signal.
the two modules would not need to be enabled at the same time -- people have ExpressLRS craft built with R9MM RXen for 900MHz and the long range that frequency offers.. however off-the-shelf 2.4GHz ExpressLRS TX and RX designs have just hit the market and are selling out everywhere quick.. for a lot of folks it's desirable to have a radio with a 2.4GHz ExpressLRS module on the inside, and a working external module bay for e.g. ExpressLRS 900 or Tracer or Crossfire, &c. &c.

the idea to replace internal 4in1 MPM modules with an ExpressLRS module comes up again and again and every time the showstopper is that there's no support for CRSF on the handset OS side for the internal radio module connection..
dj2u

Post by dj2u »

Did I get that right, that two CRSF modules would only need power switching between internal and external, as sport is shared in any case?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

True for most, if not all, FrSky radios.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can now build a version of erskyTx that supports Crossfire for an internal module using the SPort signal, and that will run on the X9D and X9D+, and the QX7, although the QX7 may have the speed problem with the SPort signal. This is for non-ACCESS radios.
If anyone would like to try this I'll post updated versions.

I'm still checking on the CRSFshot processing that allows synchronisation, but the basic operation should be OK.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:20 pm I can now build a version of erskyTx that supports Crossfire for an internal module using the SPort signal, and that will run on the X9D and X9D+, and the QX7, although the QX7 may have the speed problem with the SPort signal. This is for non-ACCESS radios.
If anyone would like to try this I'll post updated versions.
Thank you, Mike!! I posted that on ExpressLRS discord.. I was saying earlier that if there was any support on the handset OS side for enabling CRSF for the internal module we'd have someone in the community design an ExpressLRS replacement for the FrSky ACCST internal radio modules within a week.. let's see if my prediction was right.. :ugeek:
anzeek

Post by anzeek »

@yds made me aware of this topic in ELRS discord and also posted images of my pcb design for internal module for an xlite. So if you intend to implement the crossfire protocol on internal module i would be happy to test it as soon as i get the pcb.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is your board using the SPort (bi-directional) signal for the internal connection or the separate Tx and Rx signals?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
anzeek

Post by anzeek »

the plan was to use an external Sport
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The internal module on the XLite (not S or PRO), is an iXJT and uses the SPort for telemetry.
I can (just have) build a version of erskyTx that has XFIRE as an option for the internal module. This powers the internal module on and uses the SPort signal for the crossfire protocol (control and telemetry).
I've tested this, and the internal module is powered, I can see the iXJT activity on the SPort, and I can also see crossfire data on the SPort.
Clearly, if you are going to use the internal module, you will need to disconnect the iXJT.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
anzeek

Post by anzeek »

the internal module is going out and is going to be replaced by my board.https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 203102.jpg
Which pin (on the mcu) is connected to internal Sport?
dj2u

Post by dj2u »

MikeB wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm True for most, if not all, FrSky radios.

Mike
Thanks Mike,

How about the clones? I suspect also this design aspect has been considered...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

anzeek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:11 pm Which pin (on the mcu) is connected to internal Sport?
The SPort is common to both external and internal, and the SPort connector at the bottom of the Tx. It is not a pin on the CPU, there is buffering and inversion between the CPU pins (Tx and Rx) and the bi-directional SPort signal.

The SPort signal is on pin 10 of the connector to the RF board.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

dj2u wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:19 pm How about the clones? I suspect also this design aspect has been considered...
It depends what you want to do, they do have a single SPort signal. I believe they also have both Tx and Rx signals unique to the internal module and the external module.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
dj2u

Post by dj2u »

MikeB wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:10 pm
dj2u wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:19 pm How about the clones? I suspect also this design aspect has been considered...
It depends what you want to do, they do have a single SPort signal. I believe they also have both Tx and Rx signals unique to the internal module and the external module.

Mike
To be honest, at the moment I don't want to do anything ;-) just lurking the forums and feeding my curiosity.

Having lots of ideas for projects but currently just nothing materialising. But enjoying to see how you, pascal and some other clever people are advancing our hobby. Thanks alot for all of your efforts!

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”