ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
yds

Re: ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

Post by yds »

Mike, a typical ExpressLRS TX module looks like this Image Image
the S, VBAT and GND near the word "Super" go to the apropos pins of the external bay interface.. now with your builds such modules could be used with the internal interface.. for full functionality a replacement module would need to pass through the pinout for an external module, but for testing and/or ExpressLRS only, radios could use one of the existing designs like that NuclearQuads SuperSlim TX hooked up to the internal module pinout.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Long range with ESP32? :o :o ;) Or what does LRS mean? ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
anzeek

Post by anzeek »

MikeB wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:08 pm The SPort signal is on pin 10 of the connector to the RF board.
so just to be sure we are talking about the same pin :?
https://ibb.co/QCJnnQY
anzeek

Post by anzeek »

jhsa wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 pm Long range with ESP32? :o :o ;) Or what does LRS mean? ;) :)

João
esp is the brain of this board the rf chip is a lora sx1280 ic packaged in E28-2G4M27S module
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ahh, ok, thanks.. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

anzeek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:09 pm
MikeB wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:08 pm The SPort signal is on pin 10 of the connector to the RF board.
so just to be sure we are talking about the same pin :?
Yes, that looks to be correct. (When I followed your link my antivirus blocked a malicious download!).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
anzeek

Post by anzeek »

MikeB wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:41 pm Yes, that looks to be correct. (When I followed your link my antivirus blocked a malicious download!).

Mike
ou i just used the first image sharing i could find on google.
so you were able to see the picture? i re uploaded it to imgur
https://imgur.com/a/DJLJpwN
thanks i will update the pcb so it expects a sport signal on that pin :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, I saw the picture OK.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

LiM3 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:37 pm ExpressLRS ESP backpack mod in my R9M https://github.com/ExpressLRS/ExpressLR ... pack-Addon.

I can tx log messages and it looks like 200hz is ok: 2021-04-28T23:19:51.668Z CRSF Bad:Good 0:200
But lower rates 50hz and 100hz is out of sync:
2021-04-28T23:19:22.647Z CRSF Bad:Good 0:167
2021-04-28T23:19:23.647Z CRSF Bad:Good 0:166

Should be 50hz rate 0:50 and 100hz rate 0:100
LiM3, I wanted to follow up and see how things are working now with expresslrs and ErskyTX. I'm assuming you select XFire as the protocol, how do you change the hz? I'm wanting to flash over my stuff especially now that expresslrs does telemetry but have no idea how to set it up on erskytx
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep
LiM3

Post by LiM3 »

EdwardMcRichy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:10 pm
LiM3, I wanted to follow up and see how things are working now with expresslrs and ErskyTX. I'm assuming you select XFire as the protocol, how do you change the hz? I'm wanting to flash over my stuff especially now that expresslrs does telemetry but have no idea how to set it up on erskytx
Xfire protocol.

I think someone made script that you can use to change settings from radio like using LUA.
I have not tested because I do not use vanilla ELRS.

I'm using fork from one of the devs of expresslrs. Backpack ESP inside R9M module creates WIFI AP so it's possible change rates, power, tlm using web gui. Fork is not compatible with vanilla ELRS but works great. We have been flying it over year now.
https://github.com/cruwaller/ExpressLRS

Lately I've been using goggles only to change ELRS settings:
https://github.com/cruwaller/FENIX-rx5808-pro-diversity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X6inf2KFeQ
yds

Post by yds »

LiM3 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:35 pmI think someone made script that you can use to change settings from radio like using LUA.
this has been updated to work with the latest ExpressLRS 1.0RC8 ELRS.bas -- the author flies 915 -- I suppose everything works there..

#team24 now has [WiFi] Update working.. this ELRS2.bas scripts works fine on my X9E with ErSkyTxR223B3

MikeB, now that I have some feedback from the TX module, ELRS2.bas shows that ExpressLRS 500Hz over-the-air rate does not seem to be supported in ErSkyTX -- this has been enabled in the latest OpenTX 2.3.12Nightly builds..

see how Pkt Rate selects 500Hz while right above it shows the actual rate to be 0:250?

this is how it's supposed to look like on a radio with 500Hz selected and 0:500 reported back from the module..
Last edited by yds on Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you have any idea what needs to be changed (what was changed in openTx)?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:17 pmDo you have any idea what needs to be changed (what was changed in openTx)?
Mike, I believe it was @pafleraf who made that 500Hz packet rate work right in OpenTX/EdgeTX to begin with. I passed your question along to @pafleraf over on EdgeTX discord.. his reply:
pafleraf wrote:Basically, he needs to implement the module sync, as this is what sets the frequency / phase shift according to the mode required by the users / module.
I can send him something ;)
He should send me a reminder per email (he has my address).
here's an invite to @pafleraf's EdgeTX discord https://discord.gg/5PHqmVMZ <- that might be the quickest way to get pointed at the right code to read..
pafleraf

Post by pafleraf »

MikeB wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:17 pm Do you have any idea what needs to be changed (what was changed in openTx)?

Mike
Hello Mike,

I can just send you the info by email, no worry. Just send me a small reminder so I don't forget. I'm a bit busy these days...

Cheers
Raphael.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is that the same as "Crossfire shot"? If so, I have something already in progress.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:01 pmIs that the same as "Crossfire shot"? If so, I have something already in progress.
Mike, I'm not a coder, with that in mind, 500Hz does not work on the Nirvana-OpenTX fork either, tho CRSFshot is most definitely working on the Nirvana at upto 250Hz.. I have both TBS Crossfire and Tracer and ExpressLRS upto 250Hz working on Nirvana via CRSFshot..

@pafleraf can tell you exactly what this is all about since he worked with ExpressLRS devs to make it happen..

how can I log or otherwise verify that CRSFshot is working on the X9E I'm using to test ErSkyTX R223B3 with ExpressLRS and ELRS.bas ??
pafleraf

Post by pafleraf »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:01 pm Is that the same as "Crossfire shot"? If so, I have something already in progress.
Yes, this is exactly the same mechanism. Same CRSF sync frame, just that ELRS uses extended settings (up to 500Hz).

Cheers
Raphael.
yds

Post by yds »

Mike,

I asked ExpressLRS devs what it meant when changing pkt rate makes it bounce around a little from 0:250 to 1:249 then it settle down at 0:250 regardless of selected pkt rate..

JamesK wrote:ok, so module sync just isn't working. Either it's not supported in the ErSkyTX build you're using, or it's not enabled on the elrs TX module, or we have different ideas about how it works :)
I can test any new X9E builds of ErSkyTX's CRSFshot implementation now that I have a radio with a tested and working ExpressLRS 2.4GHz module.. I've tested this ExpressLRS TX module on this same radio to reliably sync from 50Hz to 500Hz with OpenTX CRSFshot nightlies.. ErSkyTX 223B3 seems to be locked in at 250Hz regardless of what the module pkt rate is set to..
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Currently, erskyTx sends data to the crossfire (ELRS) module every 4mS. I assume this is the reason for a 250Hz packet rate.
I'm guessing that to get a 500Hz packet rate I would need to send data every 2mS, and for lower packet rates I would need to send data less often, so for 50Hz, it would be every 20mS.
I'm assuming that the ELRS module is sending the required rate in the CRSFshot sync packet, so I would need to look at that value and adjust the rate at which I send packets accordingly. If I send packet more often than every 4mS, I'm not sure what the timing will then be for telemetry packets coming back.
I also need to know if the ELRS module synchronises with the packet I send, or if I have to adjust the timing of the packets I send to synchronise with the ELRS.

On radios that have enough RAM, there is now an option in erskyTx to select LUA scripts instead of Basic scripts. This is done on a per model basis (in the MODEL SETUP|GENERAL menu). My implementation of the LUA scripts doesn't include everything found in openTx. I took some of the interface code some time ago, and things have changed in openTx since then.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
spinorkit

Post by spinorkit »

Hi Mike,
On my 9xr-Pro running ersky9x-B4r223 with a R9M flashed to ELRS RC8 I get the same as lim3, i.e.,
A 200 Hz ELRS air rate shows 0:200 for the packet rate while the 25, 50 and 100 Hz rates all show around 166-167 packets/s.

Before I flashed the
ersky9xr_rom.zip
26-Apr-2021 21:27
"Fix bugs in crossfire shot data"
version, the packet rate was always 250, irrespective of the ELRS rate.

So it seems that version did actually change the timing, not just the reporting of sync data. Interested to know if you enabled some sort of phase-locking/feedback loop in that version? I'm not yet sure whether ELRS locks to the Tx packets or if it is the other way around. If you didn't do that then maybe ELRS is locking to the Tx.

Maybe the Tx yds is using behaves differently from the 9XR Pro. Also the R9M (900 Mhz) version of ELRS does not support the 500 Hz rate.

I have not looked at how CRSFshot works, so I can't curently answer your questions. I can have a look in the openTx and ELRS sources to try and find out, as well as asking some questions on Discord https://discord.com/channels/5963500221 ... 7636976692
when I am a little better informed.
I can also get serial debugging out of my R9M to see what it is doing when running with the 9XR Pro.
spinorkit

Post by spinorkit »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:49 pm I'm assuming that the ELRS module is sending the required rate in the CRSFshot sync packet, so I would need to look at that value and adjust the rate at which I send packets accordingly. If I send packet more often than every 4mS, I'm not sure what the timing will then be for telemetry packets coming back.
I also need to know if the ELRS module synchronises with the packet I send, or if I have to adjust the timing of the packets I send to synchronise with the ELRS.
Mike
Looking at the ELRS code in CRSF.cpp, it looks like the synch packet is sent to the Tx every 200 ms. The sync packet (0x10) contains the nominal RF packet period in 100 ns units as a big endian int32_t and the synch offset as a second big endian int32_t, also in 100 ns units.
At first glance it does not look like ELRS synchronizes with the packet you send, but rather that the Tx is supposed to adjust the timing of the packets it sends to make the sync offset zero.
There appears to be a feature called FEATURE_OPENTX_SYNC_AUTOTUNE in ELRS which may involve some sort of feedback but currently it seems to be disabled by default in standard builds.
The sync offset value is the time when the RF packet has just been sent minus the time the last RC data packet was received, minus a constant 400 us (i.e. 4000) to ensure "that opentx always has some headroom".
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In the "B4" test version, I'm displaying the update rate and update offset values in the debug menu on the 9XR-PRO (and some other radios, e.g. Taranis).
It would be very useful if you could report these values when you select the different rates in ELRS. Each is an 8-character hex value, rate then offset. The offset may be changing too much to read though!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 pmIt would be very useful if you could report these values when you select the different rates in ELRS. Each is an 8-character hex value, rate then offset.
this is ErSkyTX233B4 on X9E with ExpressLRS 2.4GHz module:
  • 500Hz: 000007D0
  • 250Hz: 00000FA0
  • 150Hz: 00001A0A
  • 50Hz: 00004E20
on this DEBUG screen offset keeps counting up in hex till it rolls over.
TelRxCount also counts up on this screen

regardless of which Pkt Rate is selected in ELRS.bas, the effective bad:good packet count still shows `0:250` -- same as it did with 223B3 -- the count jumps around when the Pkt Rate is changed, but quickly settles on `0:250` every time.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted a test version for the X9E that may change the packet rate to that requested. If that works, I'll look at the offset synchronising, but let's get the rate sorted first.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:02 pmI've just posted a test version for the X9E that may change the packet rate to that requested. If that works, I'll look at the offset synchronising, but let's get the rate sorted first.
Mike, after flashing your latest X9E_ROM.bin
  • 50Hz - 0:50
  • 150Hz - 0:150
  • 250Hz - 0:250
  • 500Hz - 0:497,2:497,4:494,5:492,15:481,8:490,&c.,&c.
looks much better 8-)

seems like all the packet rates are settling on the selected speed with 0 bad packets as expected.

except for the 500Hz rate is still showing some bad packets and I can see this reflected on the RX side as jitter and lockups of a channel.. moving any of the gimbals causes the bad packets to skyrocket and the ratio can fall all the way down to 1:0, but then it comes back to around 4:494, but never a solid 0:500

dropping the packet rate to 250Hz locks in at 0:250 and all the RX channels respond smoothly with no jitter nor lockups nor bad packets reported.. same with all the rates below 250Hz.. each locks in at the expected rate with no bad packets.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

New test version posted. It looks like I was overwriting the packet being sent with the next one before it was all sent.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
LiM3

Post by LiM3 »

B4 test version. 9XR Pro. R9M supports only up to 200hz.

200hz 0:200 00001388
100hz 0:166/167 00002710
50hz 0:166/167 00004E20

Offsets counting up.
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:45 pmNew test version posted. It looks like I was overwriting the packet being sent with the next one before it was all sent.
Mike, new test version is stable upto 250Hz, same as before. and looks like you almost got 500Hz working at full tilt. 8-)

at 500Hz I get a steady fluctuation between 0:497 and 0:498 -- never higher than 0:498
gimbal signal no longer locks up on the RX side and moving the gimbals doesn't make it freak out with bad packets like the prior version did.
occasionally there's a bad packet or it drops to below 0:496

as a comp I have a T-Lite running @pafleraf's EdgeTX where selecting 500Hz locks in at 0:500 and stays there.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That may just be because it is not synchronised. What is happening to the offset value in the debug menu?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
yds

Post by yds »

MikeB wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:26 amThat may just be because it is not synchronized. What is happening to the offset value in the debug menu?
Mike,

at 500Hz the offset value counts up very fast until it rolls over and starts counting up again.
at 250Hz the offset value looks like it's counting up just as fast as at 500Hz.

only the first 8char field looks to be different when selecting different rates, the offset field behaves the same.

when switching PktRate from 250Hz to 500Hz I get a single "No telemetry" voice call out, but the control on the RX side continues to work. sometimes it takes a few seconds for the control link to become responsive again, control link does come back every time. That's not really an issue since changing PktRate mid flight is not a thing, in practice one selects their desired PktRate and leaves it there..

if I'm correctly interpreting the ELRS.bas ratio numbers, with 500Hz selected it looks like there's no more, or very few bad packets. however the PketRate never quite reaches 500Hz and settles in at fluctuating between 0:497 and 0:498, very rarely I see 0:496 or even less.

as another reference point, CRSFshot as implemented in FlySky-OpenTX for Nirvana settles in at 0:280 or 0:290 with ELRS 500Hz PktRate selected. confirmed by at least three people flying ExpressLRS 2.4GHz on Nirvana. 250Hz locks in at 0:250 and stays there, same as on ErSkyTX.

to be fair, the last release of FlySky-OpenTX for Nirvana was before ExpressLRS 2.4GHz at 500Hz PktRate was even a thing.

To put things in perspective, at 500Hz ExpressLRS can do about the same range as TBS Tracer [at double the PktRate] or at 250Hz ExpressLRS can do at least double the range while matching TBS Tracer's PktRate.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”