ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
EdwardMcRichy

ERSKYTx & FrSky R9

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Hey all, I've been an ErskyTx user for about 5 years now so I'm pretty familiar with the firmware and love it. I have it on my Taranis QX7. The other day I posted a blackbox log to the Blackbox Log facebook group because I am tuning a 7" long range quad and needed some pointers. The first comment I received was from one of the moderators and he could tell right away just from the log that I was using FrSky R9. He stated that "first thing is that this looks like an R9 receiver, with the usual huge gaps between data points. They really don't help. When the new step comes in, very late, it is really big, and the quad sort of lurches into it." So according to this comment there is some kind of delay in the signal.

So I took this to the R9 Users Group on facebook and someone suggested that if I was using OpenTx older than 2.3 than that might be the problem. Well since I don't use OpenTx I'm now bringing this issue here. I have logging turned on in the firmware so I can post a log from the radio later on this evening when I get home from work. In the meantime has anyone heard of an issue with FrSky R9 on ErkyTx having drop outs or loosing signal, that kind of thing? I'm running version 222 I believe on my radio but I'll check tonight.

I had seen a video where a guy showed that R9 worked much better on ErskyTx than on OpenTx, though I hear the opentx devs may have or are working on a solution.
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep

EdwardMcRichy

Re: ERSKYTx & FrSky R9

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

7_Inch-2020-03-09-165503.csv
Flight Log
(38.24 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
EdwardMcRichy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 pm Hey all, I've been an ErskyTx user for about 5 years now so I'm pretty familiar with the firmware and love it. I have it on my Taranis QX7. The other day I posted a blackbox log to the Blackbox Log facebook group because I am tuning a 7" long range quad and needed some pointers. The first comment I received was from one of the moderators and he could tell right away just from the log that I was using FrSky R9. He stated that "first thing is that this looks like an R9 receiver, with the usual huge gaps between data points. They really don't help. When the new step comes in, very late, it is really big, and the quad sort of lurches into it." So according to this comment there is some kind of delay in the signal.

So I took this to the R9 Users Group on facebook and someone suggested that if I was using OpenTx older than 2.3 than that might be the problem. Well since I don't use OpenTx I'm now bringing this issue here. I have logging turned on in the firmware so I can post a log from the radio later on this evening when I get home from work. In the meantime has anyone heard of an issue with FrSky R9 on ErkyTx having drop outs or loosing signal, that kind of thing? I'm running version 222 I believe on my radio but I'll check tonight.

I had seen a video where a guy showed that R9 worked much better on ErskyTx than on OpenTx, though I hear the opentx devs may have or are working on a solution.
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep
Kilrah

Re: ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

Post by Kilrah »

Log from the radio doesn't tell anything, it can't know what the module/receiver do with the info they're given. Need the blackbox log to see what they mean.

What OpenTX 2.3 changed is that its mixer calculations are synchronised with the pulse output (was supposed to be the case before, but didn't work due to a bug). This may result in less aliasing but there will still be some since the module itself is not synchronised to the radio's output signal. The internal module provides a sync signal to be able to do so, but the R9M doesn't, so there's nothing that can be done about that.
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Kilrah wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:31 am Log from the radio doesn't tell anything, it can't know what the module/receiver do with the info they're given. Need the blackbox log to see what they mean.

What OpenTX 2.3 changed is that its mixer calculations are synchronised with the pulse output (was supposed to be the case before, but didn't work due to a bug). This may result in less aliasing but there will still be some since the module itself is not synchronised to the radio's output signal. The internal module provides a sync signal to be able to do so, but the R9M doesn't, so there's nothing that can be done about that.
Here is the post in case you are already in the FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/2917454 ... 320921873/
Here is the log. I have no idea what the guy is seeing, i still struggle to read black box logs, I've seen tons of bb videos by JB and UAVTECH but not easy for me to understand what they are looking at, I basically need a BB interpretation for dummies. I've attached the BBLog, had to change the file extension to .pdf to upload, I assume you can just change it back to .bfl

I mainly just want to cover my bases and make sure it is not an ErskyTx issue, but sounds to me like may just be Frsky issue, if it even is an issue.
Attachments
LOG00004.pdf
(26.47 MiB) Downloaded 315 times
mapleton123

Post by mapleton123 »

Hello all,

After installing ErskyTx R222 (06.03.2020, thanks Mike) on my TGY9X/AR9X/XJT, I noticed a CrossTrim setting called Vtg. (Found in Radio Setup/Controls/CrossTrim, other CrossTrim settings are OFF and ON.) I tried finding what Vtg would do when enabled, but sadly my searches came up empty. Any explanation of the Vtg setting would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Vtg stands for "Vintage". In this cross trim mode, only the vertical trims are swapped.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You could change it to VTS (Vertical Trim Swap) ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mapleton123

Post by mapleton123 »

Thank you Mike, that's a nice option to have. And I do have a few vintage planes! Excellent suggestion João, Vts would be more specific indeed. But, would it confuse people that selected Vtg in the past? Anyhow, thank you kindly for chiming in.

Tony
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Even I wasn't aware of that option (and I use ErskyTX a lot :) ), or I didn't remember it :) I knew about trim swapping but didn't remember an option for swapping only the vertical trims. :) So, no, I don't think it would confuse others :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
budavaril

Post by budavaril »

Sorry if I might asking in wrong topic..
I want to buy 4in1 multiprotocol module for my 9xrPro(s). Have any recommended version or something inportant what I have to give attention? I saw few brand but mostly looks all similar.
One difference I recognised already, looks exist with or without Bind button/LEDs/selector switch
What kind of modul I need?
Thanks indeed.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

35mhz

Post by 35mhz »

I have just uploaded v222 to my QX7, I am not getting the on off switch LED to light up when switched on, my other QX7 with v221 shows the LED when swiched on.

Any ideas
??/
/
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

budavaril wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:58 pm Sorry if I might asking in wrong topic..
I want to buy 4in1 multiprotocol module for my 9xrPro(s). Have any recommended version or something inportant what I have to give attention? I saw few brand but mostly looks all similar.
One difference I recognised already, looks exist with or without Bind button/LEDs/selector switch
What kind of modul I need?
Thanks indeed.

I recommend this one NRF24L01 A7105 CYRF6936 4 IN 1 Multiprotocol STM32 TX Module as it seems to be one of the better rated ones.
EdwardMcRichy

ADC Filter

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Hey all, I'm hoping Mike or one of the other power users can help. Betaflight 4.2 is out and the developers are making the recommendation to turn off the ADC Filter in OpenTx. Well I don't use that stuff so I went into the hardware menu and there is not option to turn off the ADC filter right now it is on OSMP, here is a video of what I am referencing so you guys can see what I am talking about. I'm wondering if this is even an issue for ErskyTX, https://youtu.be/ESr2H_EZ89Q

I don't really see the steps in the setpoint in black box as shown in the video so really there is no need to change the setting but just wondering if this is an issue and what the other two settings for ADC filter are?

Thanks for your time
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In erskyTx, there should be 3 possible settings, SING, OSMP and FILT, in the hardware menu.
SING is single, read the ADC value once and use it. There may be some jitter on the resulting value depending on the quality of the gimbals.
OSMP is Over-Sample, read the ADC 4 times quickly and take the average. Jitter is reduced.
FILT is Filtered, use a "rolling average" over time. Significantly reduced jitter, but a slower response due to the filtering.

OSMP is the "best" value for most purposes.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:22 pm In erskyTx, there should be 3 possible settings, SING, OSMP and FILT, in the hardware menu.
SING is single, read the ADC value once and use it. There may be some jitter on the resulting value depending on the quality of the gimbals.
OSMP is Over-Sample, read the ADC 4 times quickly and take the average. Jitter is reduced.
FILT is Filtered, use a "rolling average" over time. Significantly reduced jitter, but a slower response due to the filtering.

OSMP is the "best" value for most purposes.

Mike
Thanks for that, i'll leave it on OSMP as is.
budavaril

Post by budavaril »

I tried to adjust my servo limits and I'm confused now. I switched on the extended servo limits, and I went in to the "limits" menu. I realised the maximum limit is now -125 and +125 (%)
May I'm wrong, but I remember earlier (may years ago) it was able to adjust -150% and +150%.. (+-768μs)..
Am I right? Or possible that was available just in OpenTX or my memory is gone? [emoji848]

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx has only ever allowed +/-125%, I believe openTx does allow more. erskyTx uses an 8-bit location to store the limit value, so it isn't a quick job to allow anything larger.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
budavaril

Re: RE: Re: ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

Post by budavaril »

MikeB wrote:erskyTx has only ever allowed +/-125%, I believe openTx does allow more. erskyTx uses an 8-bit location to store the limit value, so it isn't a quick job to allow anything larger.

Mike
Thanks Mike the quick answer. I'm wasn't sure. I tried OpenTX once when I bought my first 9xr Pro, but I been more familiar with your ersky9x / erskyTX.. I think I can live with 125%. :)

LiM3

Post by LiM3 »

Nirvana just got crossfire shot protocol support. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... st45357535

Any plans to bring it over to erskytx? I'm using latest test version in 9xr pro + r9m flashed to ExpressLRS 200hz link and crsfshot should improve things.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I hadn't heard of the "crossfire shot protocol". I this a protocol between the radio and a crossfire module? If so, do you have details of the actual protocol?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
LiM3

Post by LiM3 »

It's protocol between radio and module. I don't have any details about it.
I've been using and following development of ExpressLRS. It's working better on radios that have OTX crsfshot support. I planned switch my radio but if there's hope for scheduler mixer and shot is coming to erskytx then I'll stick with my 9xr pro a little bit longer.

I have only few scheduler mixer branch links:
https://github.com/raphaelcoeffic/opent ... ash-rebase
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/tree/3 ... rit-bugfix
BukSer

Post by BukSer »

Hi, does 9xr PRO support sbus with external modul? I didn't find it in last ver. 222.
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

BukSer wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:58 am Hi, does 9xr PRO support sbus with external modul? I didn't find it in last ver. 222.
in the protocol menu after selecting the external module you select XJT.
CatRovacer

Post by CatRovacer »

How to implement (when build firmware) Internal multimodule for Jumper T12 PRO?
good food & warm summer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I didn't know the T12 PRO (existed!) or supported an internal multimodule, so haven't implemented it. I'll need to know what the connections are to be able to add support for it.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
CatRovacer

Post by CatRovacer »

Mike, which version of arm-none-eabi-gcc need to build (make) erskytx?
Internal module for Jumper T12 PRO implemented under opentx, maybe we can see there how the interaction works
good food & warm summer
spinorkit

Post by spinorkit »

LiM3 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:51 pm Nirvana just got crossfire shot protocol support. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... st45357535

Any plans to bring it over to erskytx? I'm using latest test version in 9xr pro + r9m flashed to ExpressLRS 200hz link and crsfshot should improve things.
I am interested in ExpressLRS because I bought a R9M back in 2019 to use with my 9xr pro running ersky9xr.
However I never used it because I live in New Zealand and the license free 868 and 915 bands are narrower than either the EU or FCC ones, making both the R9M and TBS Crossfire illegal, although people use them anyway.
I tested the R9M on 868 MHz with my SDR and it was stomping over an ever-present CDM signal starting around 869 MHz.
In N.Z. you are allowed to radiate up to 2 W (if frequency hopping) between 864 and 868 MHz. So, with ExpressLRS I thought I could configure the hop frequencies and finally get a long range system that wasn't obviously illegal.

So you are running OpenTX on your 9xr pro?
I have never used OpenTx and don't really want to change to it, but I assume erskytx/ersky9xr doesn't support ExpressLRS?
LiM3

Re: RE: Re: ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

Post by LiM3 »

spinorkit wrote:
LiM3 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:51 pm Nirvana just got crossfire shot protocol support. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... st45357535

I am interested in ExpressLRS because I bought a R9M back in 2019 to use with my 9xr pro running ersky9xr.
However I never used it because I live in New Zealand and the license free 868 and 915 bands are narrower than either the EU or FCC ones, making both the R9M and TBS Crossfire illegal, although people use them anyway.
I tested the R9M on 868 MHz with my SDR and it was stomping over an ever-present CDM signal starting around 869 MHz.
In N.Z. you are allowed to radiate up to 2 W (if frequency hopping) between 864 and 868 MHz. So, with ExpressLRS I thought I could configure the hop frequencies and finally get a long range system that wasn't obviously illegal.

So you are running OpenTX on your 9xr pro?
I have never used OpenTx and don't really want to change to it, but I assume erskytx/ersky9xr doesn't support ExpressLRS?
I'm using erskytx. ELRS use crsf protocol so it's compatible. Only scheduler mixer/crossfire shot is missing in Erskytx.

Lähetetty minun GM1913 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

spinorkit

Post by spinorkit »

Many thanks LiM3!
Now I see that there is indeed a Xfire protocol option in the R222 version of ersky9xr I am currently running.

I wonder, is there a basic script available to control ELRS, setting the power etc similar to the ExLRS.lua script?
LiM3

Post by LiM3 »

This is going too much offtopic. But no there's no scriots or anything. I've been earlier using fork from one of the devs where it's possible to control power and hz via button on r9m module. Now I have backpack ESP soldered inside r9m so I'm using wifi (phone/laptop) to change settings. If you wan't more informaation jump on discord ExpressLRS channel. Things are developing fast. Dual BL & easy flashing methods. But enough about that here.

Just missing crsfshot in Erskytx and thinking about replacing my radio.

Lähetetty minun GM1913 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”