Status of erskyTX support for Taranis Q X7 ACCESS radio

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Speedy

Status of erskyTX support for Taranis Q X7 ACCESS radio

Post by Speedy »

I just got hold of a Taranis Q X7 ACCESS unit and I see there doesn't seem to be erskyTx support for it yet. I've tried loading the standard X7 ACCST FW, but it just complains about Bad EEprom Data when it starts. When it then goes through the EEPROM Formatting process, the unit just resets and goes through the same cycle again.

I've search through the forums and saw something where Mike says he knows the differences between the ACCST and ACCESS units but just hasn't got around to working on it. Just wondering if there was any update as I run er9x on my other radios and would like to run erskyTX on this radio.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Status of erskyTX support for Taranis Q X7 ACCESS radio

Post by MikeB »

I had done changes to the source, but I hadn't built and posted a test version, but I have now done so and it should work. It had been tested by someone else (I don't have a QX7 Access radio myself). I've just built a test version from the latest sources and posted it in the test versions thread (first post).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Wow, that was fast! Thanks! Here are my initial observations after 20 minutes of playing around. Please bear in mind that the X7 and erskyTX are new to me so if I made some stupid assumptions, please be kind...

1) Switch C indicates the top and middle position, but does not show the lower position. It stays in the middle position. It does this both in the main screen as well as in the DiagSwitch screen.

2) eePskye reads the Memory from the TX but it doesn't reflect the actual values in the radio. It seems to be defaults or empty. If I modify and write the Memory back to the radio, I can read it back correctly. However, if I disconnect the radio and turn it on, it doesn't have those values. And if I now reconnect it back and read back the memory, I get those same default values. The radio still has it's original values. I am using eePskye 422 from Feb 18, 2018, but the same thing happens with version p423

3) The EEPROM values set via the radio menus ARE saved in the transmitter and survive power offs and writes by eePskye

4) I have not been able to bind to a receiver yet. I set the Internal Protocol to Access, and then set it to D16 Mode. When I short select Bind, nothing happens, but the scroll wheel doesn't work, so it's doing something. When I hit Exit, the scroll wheel works again, but the receiver doesn't bind. When I Iong select Bind, it goes into the Bind options screen, and if I then short select Bind on that screen, it goes into a Bind screen with no other information. I can only exit from this screen. In either case, the receiver doesn't appear to bind. I will need to play with this a bit more as I may not be doing things right. With OpenTx, I was able to bind to the same receiver in both ACCST and ACCESS mode, after appropriate reprogramming of the receiver.

That's all I have so far, but will keep investigating. The biggest issue is #2 right now, unless I am doing something completely wrong...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll need to fix the bootloader to sort #2. I assume you flashed the radio using the power off mode, otherwise it should still be using the openTx bootloader.

You do need a long press to use bind, then getting to the bind options screen. Then the short press should activate the actual bind, as you are doing. I'll look at the code more fully. The other person was using the external bay and didn't test the internal module.

I'll check switch C.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I flashed the erskyTX bootloader from the x7Acc bin file using the OpenTx SDcard function, then booted into the erskyTX Bootloader (V3.1) to flash the x7Acc bin file. I am still getting familiar with the various USB modes of both FW so hopefully this method works as well. I am definitely running the erskyTX bootloader.

Still playing with the binding modes.... I plan on using the Multi-Module on this transmitter, but it hasn't arrived yet so I am just using the Internal for now to test.

One other thing I noticed is that after enabling the EEPROM function via the HW enable, I can't seem to get it to backup to the SD card. When I select Backup, it just sits there until I exit out of it.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've done a couple of changes that may fix switch C (needs erskyTx updated) and the eepskye problem unable to access the EEPROM (needs the bootloader updated).

New test version posted, so please test and report.
When you try to backup the EEPROM, what, if anything, is on the display while it is just sitting there?

I'll look to add some debug to help sort out while it isn't binding.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

When I select Backup or Restore EEPROM, the respective line just stays highlighted, doing nothing, and I cannot scroll anymore until I hit exit.

So I've tested the new version and Switch C is fixed, but I still cannot read the EEPROM to or from the radio properly. Just so I'm not missing anything in the method, I put the radio in bootloader mode by turning it on while holding the trims outwards. I then plug in my USB and it shows up on my computer as Taranis Storage device. I then use eePSkye to read and write. I DID write the bootloader into the radio from the new bin file, though it still reports Version 3.1

The first time I read the memory, it takes a reasonable time, like a second or so. When I write it back, it also takes about the same time, maybe a bit longer. The progress bar advances normally. However, the values never takes on the radio, and furthermore, when I do any subsequent reads, it happens instantly, with the program coming back almost instantly as done. It's almost like it never transferred anything to the radio. However, while in the same state, I can flash a new bin to the radio and that seems to transfer and program fine.

I have a couple of other observations as well:

1) Any reason why the power button LED is RED while in normal operating mode?
2) On the Internal ACCESS menu, when I go through the Register menu, there appears to be no way to advance to the REGISTER line. I can scroll between Radio ID and RX UID, but am unable to actually initiate the Register process.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I found a reason why the internal module may not be working so I've just posted another test version with a fix in. No other changes.

Your PC has probably cached the data from the radio and just reads it from the cache the second time.

Mike
Edit: Fourth version posted with another fix in the bootloader.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Tested 4th version, no change unfortunately. Still can't read or write EEPROM memory via eePskye and can't bind with Internal RF module in either D16 nor ACCESS mode.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Regarding the bootloader, it should be reporting V3.3. Please update the bootloader from "Maintenance mode" in erskyTx (power on holding the two horizontal trims APART).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Ok, so:

Press power switch WHILE holding trims apart = Bootload menu (Flash, App, EEPROM)
Hold trims apart AFTER pressing power switch = Maintenance mode

I can now load the bootloader via erskyTx from the latest file (4th), but despite that, I STILL see V3.1 on my bootloader menu and still can't read or write EEPROM via eePskye! What am I missing?!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

5th test version posted, you should get the 3.3 bootloader this time, also I should have fixed the trims operation for both bootloader mode and maintenance mode (hold the trims as required then power on).
What colour is the power switch LED when in the bootloader, and when in maintenance mode?

Still looking at the internal module.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Sixth version also posted, I found another reason why the internal module wasn't working so fixed that.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Ok, 5th version bootloader now indicates Version 3.3 and works as you intended, which I think is:

Power on with trims inward = Bootloader menu
Power on with trims outward = Maintenance menu

The EEPROM read/write function with eepSkye also now works, although I've only tried a few items. Obviously the Protocol menus in eepSkye doesn't have all the options, so I tested the RF module functions only via the radio menus.

Having said that, the Internal RF functions in both 5th and 6th version still does not bind. I am only trying it in ACCST D16 mode for now, since I don't seem to be able to perform Registration in ACCESS mode.

On the switch LEDs, it is RED in normal mode, Bootloader mode and Maintenance mode. When I plug in the USB in Bootloader or Maintenance mode, the left half turns ORANGE and the right half turns GREEN. When I plug in the USB with the radio off, the LED is GREEN.

I also noticed a strange behaviour with the V3.3 bootloader. If I reload the current or new erskytx firmware after the first load (where it initializes the EEPROM), and it doesn't need to initialize the EEPROM, then it just powers up and after the welcome screen, just resets in a loop. The only way I can get out of this reset mode is to load back an OpenTX firmware, which initializes the EEPROM for itself, and then reload the erskyTx firmware, when also then initializes the EEPROM.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please go to the STATISTICS menu area, navigate to the DEBUG menu and look at the number immediately to the right of "TelRxCount". Is this changing or is stuck (at 0000?).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Presumably you meant to look at it after trying to bind? Unfortunately (for me), I somehow managed to fry my only D16 receiver this afternoon. Everything else I have is old D8 stuff, so I currently don't have anything that can bind with the X7 Access. I ordered a new receiver but it won't be here till Tuesday.

Having said that, I did try to put the radio into bind mode, even though there was nothing for it to bind to. After that, the debug screen shows:

TelRxCount 0000 0101

I have also encountered other occasions when the radio turns on into the reset loop, so it's not just tied to loading new firmware. It just happened to me again just now, and I didn't make any updates or changes. The only way I have found so far of clearing the reset loop is to cycle through the different FW, allowing a new load of erskytx to fail the EEPROM checksum and reinitialize.

[EDIT]
Ok, I think I've found the cause of the reset loop and it's tied to the Internal protocol configuration. It's not the reloading of the FW, but the setting up of the Internal RF protocol. It can power off and on with no problems as long as I don't have the Internal RF enabled. At that point, the debug screen shows TelRxCount 0000 0000. Once I configure the Internal RF to ACCESS/ACCESS or ACCESS/ACCST(D16), then it shows TelRxCount 0000 0101, and if I then power off and on, it will go into the reset loop. It keeps doing this until I restore the EEPROM file with the Internal RF disabled. It DOES allow me to set Internal XJT mode, and this doesn't cause the power on reset loop. On that note, it would be nice for the Restore EEPROM function in the bootloader menu to be functioning so I don't have to restore it via eePskye.

Related to that, I decided to try enabling the External RF as well. I can go in the menu and scroll through PPM, XJT, DSM, Multi, and Xfire, but when I hit ACCESS, the radio resets. It comes right back though and I can actually set those other values and it will power off/on ok. I tried it with and without a R9M module connected and it always resets when it gets to ACCESS.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Useful info. I've clearly got a bug in the low level drivers for ACCESS causing an interrupt to run continuously. Interesting this only causes a problem on the internal module on a restart, may help to find it.This may take a little time to locate.

For future use of your D8 receivers, you might like to flash them to my D16 firmware, see here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... perpage=20.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Mike, you are indeed a man of many talents! We appreciate all the work you contribute to this hobby. I am already designing a custom mini PCB for your arduino based SBUS-PWM converter code.

So many amazing things have happened in this hobby in the 5 years that I've been out! I've got updates and projects lined up my wazoo! I just retired, so I have plenty of time to help with any of the radio testing, if you need it.
Last edited by Speedy on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes the D16 firmware runs on the D4R-II.

I've just posted another test version for the X7 Access radio. This has added debug data on the DEBUG menu. It also includes code to trace possible "stuck" interrupts. On a watchdog reboot, the last active interrupt before the reboot is reported in the "BOOT REASON" menu (STATISTICS, then left one).
To (hopefully) find this out, this special test version turns the internal module off on a watchdog reboot, so should stop further reboots.

To test please do the following:
Power on, set the internal module on with ACCESS protocol. Now go to the DEBUG menu and report the values:
Rows 3 and 4 show the contents of 2 buffers, row 3 is likely to be all 00, what is on row 4?
Row 5 has 4 values, the first should be counting quickly (around 110 per second) is this happening and what are the other 3 values?
Row 6 has 2 values, the first should be counting quickly, is this happening and what is the other value?

Next power off and back on. I expect a watchdog reboot, but only once. Go to the BOOT REASON screen and you should see "WATCHDOG". There should also be a value at the right of the display, 3 rows up from the bottom (row 6 of 8). What is this value please?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

These are the values of rows 3-6

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
7E 10 01 03 00 00 C7 D3 40 02
xxxx 4645 001D 4267
xxxx 0042

On re-power, it DID NOT reboot, and the BOOT REASON is the normal POWER ON. You probably don't need that value on the right since it didn't watchdog, but it's 9062. Also, for what it's worth, when I select ACCESS in external, it does a quick reboot, and this time the reason IS WATCHDOG, with a value of 0094 on the right of line 6.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is TelRxCount (first value on that line) changing or is that still stuck when you have ACCESS selected?
If that is counting, then a raw log file would be useful.
Set up a logging switch, then go to the DEBUG menu and press MENU LONG twice to set Raw logging to HEX.
Now, with everything running, turn the logging on for (say) 10 seconds, then turn it off.
Find the log file (in the \LOGS directory on the SD card), zip it up and post it.

The 0094 on the external module is useful, I'll look into that further. Curious it didn't reboot on the internal module.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I have never seen TelRxCount counting. First value is always 0000 and the 2nd value is 0000 when nothing is selected, and 0101 for the Internal RF, and some other values for the External.

Since it is not counting, no need to set up logging? If you do need it, then you'll have to give me a bit more instructions as I've never used logging before.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm adding some more debug and fixing the external module reboot when ACCESS is selected. I've also asked FrSky for technical data on this radio to help sort out these problems.
One useful test is to set up a timer and check it is running at the correct speed (counting seconds!). This will help check I have the serial to the module running at the correct speed.
I'll try to post another test version in a bit.

Test version posted.
On the debug menu, the 6th (of 8) line has 5 values. The first 3 are counts, we would like all these to be counting. The last 2 are configuration values and I'd like to know what these are, and whether the first 3 are counting.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

The count down timers appear to counting be down correctly, with the right timing.

On the debug menu, the 6th line is as follows:
xxxx 0000 0000 0042 202C, with only the first value counting. Internal module was set up as ACCESS/ACCST(D16)

Selecting ACCESS in the External module still results in a WATCHDOG reboot. The value on the right of the 6th line in the BOOT REASON is mostly 0088 now, though I've seen 009D once or twice.

I've received my new D16 and ACCESS capable receiver today so should be able to test binding whenever you're ready.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

If it's of any use, I've managed to flash one of my old D4R-II receivers with your D16 code, so if you need to write any debug binding code from the receiver's perspective, that is an available option.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

New test version posted. This may fix the internal module. Due to changes in the power switch LED assignments, and the code that allows one or more of these to be used as extra analog inputs, I think there was a conflict with the soft power control of the internal module, so this never got powered on. I've fixed this by disabling the use of the power LED signals as extra analog inputs. The power LED should now also be blue. The green power LED indicates the radio is charging from the USB connection.

I now have some technical data for this radio from FrSky.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Version 9 now works for Internal! I was able to bind in D16 mode to both your D16 code, as well as an R-XSR 2.1.0 (both ACCST and ACCESS mode). The LEDs also appear to work correctly now.

I've only done a cursory check on D16, but it seems to work fine. The erskytx telemetry is different from my old er9x experience from 5 years ago, as well as my playing with the current opentx version. About all I can get is the RSSI. I can't seem to get RxBat or A1 from the receiver.
[EDIT] I've since managed to get the A1 and RxBat values. I guess I have to calibrate them now.

ACCESS also seems to work, but slightly different from it's opentx brethren. I was able to successfully register it, but then after that, the receiver was already bound. There was no need to bind it as RX 1, 2, or 3, and in fact if you tried to do it, it wouldn't bind. Again, ACCESS is new to me and I can only compare how it works in the factory fw. Also, out of the box, I am not getting any telemetry, not even RSSI.

Were the extra analog inputs used for the extra POTs? PC5 and PB1? I was trying to figure out how to add the extra switches and POTs but the ACCESS board appears to be different from the ACCST board. Do we not have that option anymore on this ACCESS board?

[EDIT]
The flashing of receivers via Ext S-port from the Maintenance menu also doesn't seem to work. It tries but doesn't ever turn on power to the port at the bottom of the radio. I'm guessing it's currently using the External Module port right now...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Progress!
To bind in ACCESS, select the BIND beside RX1,2 or 3, then power on a registered Rx. The BIND screen should then display the name of the Rx. You select this to complete the bind. If you had already bound the Rx using openTx, it may well be it was still bound (to the RF module) after changing to erskyTx.
The "extra" analog inputs were to two of the power switch LEDs. While one of these may still be available, connecting to it will involve soldering to a processor pin, and cutting a track. The original QX7 had those signals on a wired connector, the ACCESS version is using one of those flat ribbon connectors.
There is one extra switch input. On your picture there is a place for a connector along the top edge of the main board, near the middle. This is the connection for the one extra switch available.
I think I can see why the SPort connector is not giving power, I'll look to fix that in the next test version.

For the telemetry, first, are the first three values on the 6th line of the DEBUG display all counting?
Second, a raw logfile will be very helpful.
Go to the MODEL SETUP menu, select TELEMETRY, then select LOGGING from the popup. Choose a LOG SWITCH (e.g. SAv), and tick the "New File" box. This will write each session to a new file, otherwise all sessions on a given day are put into a single file.
Now go to the DEBUG menu and press MENU LONG twice to set Raw logging to HEX. Note that this setting is not preserved through a power cycle.
Next, with a receiver powered and operating servos (and hopefully sending telemetry), switch the LOG SWITCH on for around ten seconds, then switch it off. Restart in bootloader mode, connect to your PC and search the SD card. In the /LOGS directory you should find the log file, named with the model name and the date/time with an extension of .raw. Zip this up and post it for me to investigate what is being sent by the module.
I've just seen your edit that suggests the telemetry is now working, so only bother with the raw log file if telemetry is not fully working.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Yes, on performing a Register and bind on a newly flashed receiver, it bound as expected and I am now getting telemetry in ACCESS as well. I will play around with the telemetry a bit more. I can go into the receiver options for the bound receiver and can turn telemetry on/off, but the CH pin mappings look strange with CH numbers from 1 to 242, some randomly changing. It seems the 3 digit numbers are overwriting the H in CH. It doesn't look right and I'll compare with the opentx options. Also, yes, the first 3 values of the 6th debug line are now counting.

On the SPort programming, I WAS able to re-program a receiver via the External Module SPort connector, so the FW is indeed using that port. I think you just need to add an option of using either Sport connector.

Thanks for you efforts in getting this working. My radio came with a R9M ACCESS module. Is that in the External ACCESS option? It's not a priority for me since I don't have a receiver for it, but at some point I may want to use it. Now waiting for my Multi-Module to come...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've checked the functioning of the channel mappings on both a X10S Express and a X9liteS and both work fine and are stable.
A raw telemetry log may tell me why your radio is acting up. Enable raw (hex) logging in the DEBUG menu, navigate to the ACCESS protocol menu, turn on logging, then select the receiver options. Wait 10 seconds or so, then turn the logging off. You should now find the log file in the /LOGS directory.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”