MasterRadio TX16S

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: MasterRadio TX16S

Post by MikeB »

I'd like to improve the display on the colour displays, but, like everything else, I need time to do so. Also, I could use input from others as to what might be a "good look". I should be able to add improvements, but probably 1 at a time.
At the moment, the screen fonts are just scaled up fonts from previous radios. This makes them a bit "blocky". I've recently started to look at creating a font specifically for the colour displays.
If you have any suggestions for display improvements, please let me know and I'll consider if I can do them easily.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Mike a nice font would be a great improvement. Let's see how that looks then start working on other features.

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted a test version for the RMTS16S that has an "improved", standard size font.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Great, I will look tonight.
Mike
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Mike that looks much better especially with color changes of the text. One thing that I noticed in the menu system is that the screen for eeprom backup and restore hangs up if I long press for backup. I can back out of the screen with the rnt button. I really like the Large font for the model name. Thanks
Mike

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

EEPROM backup and restore are not (yet) implemented!
I've just tested an addition that allows for a 16-colour bitmap to be placed on the display (e.g. icons). As the first use of this I've created a much better looking icon to indicate logging is taking place.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Mike, could these changes be added to the X10S version of the firmware please.

Dave
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Great. I will test today. Thanks
Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted a new test version with this icon in it, and the new main font, for both the RMTX16S an the X10.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am I've just posted a new test version with this icon in it, and the new main font, for both the RMTX16S an the X10.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I will download it now and test tomorrow.

Dave
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

All seems to be working now. I have several flights with this firmware now. BTW what is the two decimal place number at the bottom left of the screen?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The firmware uses a multi-tasking operating system. The number at the bottom left is the percentage of time that the "idle" task runs. This gives a good idea of how much work the processor is doing.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Mike, would you like for me to send you photos of the OpenTx implementation for this Tx? The screens are very readable and colorful. If so I am not sure how to send a jpg on this forum.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I do have Companion loaded on my PC, so I can see openTx screens on there using the "simulate radio" option, although I don't think the simulation is complete yet.

I'm looking into adding icons the the two "index" screens, although I don't claim to be very good at designing icons. A screenshot of my first attempt is attached (standard Windows BMP format in a .zip file). This was dumped from an actual T16 display. I have my display background set to a green colour, I prefer it to white. This does make the icons with a white background stand out.
At present the icons are 20x20 pixels. I can certainly go to 22x22, and probably to 24x24 if that would improve the look of the icons. I think they may well be a bit small at present.
I'm using a 16-colour palette for these: black, dark red, dark green, dark yellow, dark blue, dark magenta, dark cyan, light grey, dark grey, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white.
I'm designing them using a BMP editor, save as a 16-colout BMP file, and then use a python script to convert the image to the format I need on the Tx. So if anyone wants to try designing some icons, just create a 16-colour, BMP file and I can try them out. I could probably add a special menu item that could read the BMP file directly and display it for anyone to test their own icons.

In general, when I display an icon, I have an option for "white" to be changed to the background colour, either the main background colour or the status line background colour.

Mike
Attachments
screen-2020-08-08-223610.zip
(7.36 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Mike, that looks good and should be visible in bright outdoor light. I will learn how to create bitmaps so that I can help you.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've now spread the index menu out a bit more, so it will allow icons/bitmaps up to at least 24x24, and probably 26x26. With a bit more work, I should be able to allow wider ones if they would be useful. The code I now have also "looks" at the size of the icon and positions it in the right place depending on its size. Just need a good graphic designer now!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

It is sounding better all the time.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Hi Mike,
Could you summarize the firmware update process of TX16S to ERSKYTX? I just had TX16S but update test version firmware failed.This seems to be difficult for 9XR PRO users.Maybe there is this information on some web page.Do I also need to update the firmware of the Internal MULTI-Module for ErskyTX?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

How are you doing the update and what is the failure you get?
On the test versions thread there is a version of eepskye (in eepskye.zip), dated 20-Jul-2020 22:08. Try using that to do the update.
No need to update the internal module for erskyTx.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

I used all files in eepskye5.zip and replace the last eepskye.exe . Which configuration should I choose in SAM-BA configuration ? I also used the SD Card Contents from Er9x and ErskyTx Home Page.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Don't tick SAM-BA.
Start the radio in bootloader mode (power on with the horizontal trims inward). Check you see the two hard drives appear when you connect the USB cable.
In the settings, choose TX16S as the version to download.
epskye should then be able to flash the firmware.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Hi Mike,
Thanks a lot. It works now but the throttle direction is reversed and switch warning always exists. The throttle direction can be reversed in radio setup but the trim can't be.Where can I disable the switch warning?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Interesting since "mmilan", who did the original testing, didn't report the throttle or trim being reversed.
I assume you have both the throttle and the throttle trim operating reversed? For the trim switch, please go to the "DiagSwtch" menu and report on the throttle trim response. Normally, when you move the throttle trim up (switch towards the top of the radio), the "+" value should change from 0 to 1.

Regarding the switch warning, this should display the switches A through G, and 6 (position), highlighting the switch(es) in error. Do you see any highlights?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Regarding the switch warning,the highlights are 6 and 0. In the "DiagSwtch" menu all trim move, the "+" value change from 0 to 1. The throttle stick direction and throttle trim are not same direction in screen after I tick " throttle reverse" in radio setup.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For the switch warning, you need to calibrate the 6-pos switch. This is in the hardware menu (enabled by powering on with the left horizontal trim switch held to the left).

Are you using mode 1 (throttle on the right) or mode 2 (throttle on the left)?
When I know this, I'll be able to ask more questions to help.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

I am using mode 1 AETR (throttle on the right).The hardware menu looks a little complicated.Does it have a user manual?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Here are brief instructions for calibrating the 6-pos switch: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... os#p110854.

To investigate the throttle reverse problem I need the answers to ALL the following.

RADIO SETUP:
On the DIAGSWTCH menu, the throttle trim is the third item from the top of the trim values. When you press the throttle trim up, does the 0 in the "+" column change to a 1?

On the DIAGANA, there is a 4-character value beside "RV". This is the raw value from the throttle stick. What values do you see when the throttle stick is fully down and fully up?

In the hardware menu, under "Stick Reverse:", there are 4 icons, one for each stick direction. Are any of these highlighted?

In the controls menu, is "Throttle reverse" ticked?

Now in "MODEL SETUP":
In the "General" menu, there is a "Throttle Reverse" setting, is this ticked?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Hi Mike,
I use hardware and change 4 icons again under "Stick Reverse:" same as initial value.And than calibrate again.Two problems solved.I don't understand how and why.Thanks a lot.
Arvycka

Post by Arvycka »

MikeB wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:22 am I don't have a T16S, only a T16, which is supported. I'm not sure at the moment what the differences are, but it is likely that the version of erskyTx for the T16 will run. I can see there is an extra button, which won't do anything.
If you are prepared to try erskyTx, and let me know what doesn't work, I should be able to get it fully running.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great work. Is the version of erskyTx for the TX16S still in development? Do you own the radio already? Would it help to continue if you had one? I have been using erskyTX on my AR9X for a few years now because I find OpenTX menu system infuriating :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The TX16S is now OK, I posted a test version on 06 AUG 2020. I need to make sure I include builds for the TX16S in future complete build posts!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”