Velleman Lab2 Three in One..

Want to ask about that much needed test equipment? Looking for something new? Check in here!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Velleman Lab2 Three in One..

Post by Rob Thomson »

So...

I purchased myself one of these off ebay.
lab2.jpg
http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?c ... &id=381248

Figured it would make a good general purpose tool for my growing electronic hobby work!

So...

First mistake. I accidentally purchased a 115Volt version. We use 230Volts this side of the world.
Second mistake. It was shipped from the USA; meaning that any saving in cost was lost on Export Duty :-(

Anyway.. after checking the unit over and seeing my miss-hap on the 115Volt issue, I consulted with a local supplier who indicated that swapping to 230 Volts was simply a case of re-soldering one wire to a different pin on the transformer. This I tackled easily a the pcb is clearly marked.

So.. pin soldered... time to power up.

Fizz Pop Flash Bang. The Power unit went up in smoke

I had no-doubt done something wrong :evil:

Well. Next thing I did was contact Velleman in Belgium to see if I could get a replacement power supply.

Now here is the really good part. Not only where they sympathetic to my problem; but they have sent me a replacement power supply for the unit for FREE! They have not even charged me shipping!

:o

I am very happy with the service. It is not often you find a company so willing to help and support it's end users!

Now.. just to wait 2 days for the part to arrive :-)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

rperkins

Re: Velleman Lab2 Three in One..

Post by rperkins »

great.
I love to hear when a company takes care of you. Looks like a cool piece of equipment also.
Right now Delta faucet is dicking me around on warranty replacement of a shower head :(

RE converting 220/110. I always get jealous cause I'm sure its cheaper to run things from 220v.
I mistakenly ordered a heat gun from HK setup for 220v. I modified it to work on 110. had to divide the heat element up to parallel paths to get the heat up. I got it up to smokin' temps now. :) makes me laugh just thinkin about it. I am afraid the case will melt if I run it too long at high temp. but I digress.

Return to “Reviews”