ER9X and Tarot ZYX-S Gyro

nsf

ER9X and Tarot ZYX-S Gyro

Post by nsf »

Hey everybody. Before I start I just want to to say that I'm new in the hobby. I've been flying since February, so everything is kind of new to me, especially helis, which I'm just starting with.
After a little research, one of the first things I did, after buying my 9x, was to install this awesome firmware. Must say, the tx is completely different now, and the heli setup :shock:
So, all being new to me, and the amount of options ex9x has, I'm having some troubles setting up the gyro. I'm using a Tarot ZYX-S, but I can’t find much info about it in what concerns er9x setup. Found a video of a guy using a turnigy 9x with this gyro, but with the stock firmware in the transmitter.
In my search in the web I found a template in this forum for the ZYX-S (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1050), but I just cant make it work as it should. I'm tired of tweaking in the radio but nothing.
The swashplate doesn't move as it should. Pushing or pulling elevator stick it should tilt front or back, wright? And moving the aileron right or left it should tilt the same way, correct? Well, if that's correct, not with me. Pushing or puling I get the swashplate no move in that direction but tilts slightly to on of the sides, although in resting position it is leveled. Moving the aileron I get it to tilt back or front. Besides that, the collective pitch is not working. I move the stick (throttle) and nothing happens.
Could some one help me out? Would much appreciated.

nsf

Re: ER9X and Tarot ZYX-S Gyro

Post by nsf »

Hey guys. No one can help me out? I'm tired of downloading templates, tweaking and nothing. Just cant get the er9x to work with the zyx-s. The swashplate doesn't work as it should.
Here's a video of the swashplate working
[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBFQK9Cc ... r_embedded[/BBvideo]
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, it's one of these 3-axis stabilisation systems.

So as described in the manual, you need to disable all swashplate mixings on the radio. So on the 9x, just create a new blank model. It will have the 4 basic channels there, check the assignments on the mixer screen to see where you have to connect the wires from the ZYX on your receiver.

Then you need to do all the swashplate configuration and all on the ZYX itself (either with the PC software and interface or with the transmitter as described in the manual in chapter 6).
Come back when that's done to add your pitch/throttle curves and gyro gain control, or have a look at the heli template to understand how to add that :)
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I just set up a hobbymate flybarless. It should be similar to yours. First it sounds like maybe you have the Aileron and elevator inputs switched to the gyro. Note I didn't watch your video, I'm just going from the description above. Second since it is a flybarless controller you won't be using any heli mixing in the radio. So very simply 100% AIL, ELE, RUD should just go to the gyro. The gyro itself will handle all of the mixing, and that should be part of the gyro's setup. The pitch will be all by itself on a separate channel, mine is on CH6. That will be simple also just put 100% THR on CH6 to get you through setup. The throttle channel will bypass the gyro and go directly to the esc. We can cover that once you get the controls working correctly.
To set the tail gyro gain I use the channel endpoints. I have this on CH5 (tail gain input to the gyro)

Code: Select all

100% FULL Switch(GEA)
Then I set the limits for channel 5 to + and - 50 as a starting point. Once you have the gyro setup then come back to this setting to determine if the gyro is in the right mode for how you have the switch. Personally I like HH mode to be switch back. To reverse the switch operation just change GEA to !GEA. The nice thing about using the limits to set the gain is they don't move, like if you set the gain on a pot, that can get bumped.

I see someone else has replied, I guess I'm off to a slow start this morning.
-Gohst
nsf

Post by nsf »

Thanks guys. Did all that but no go. I think the wiring is all ok. Followed the instructions manual (the same kilrah linked), but nothing.
All the templates I’ve downloaded are similar, I even tried to start with a blank model, but even so, couldn’t get it to work.
I’m not at home at the moment but I’ll try to remember the channel assignments.
Ch1- +100%CYC2
Ch2- +100%CYC1
Ch3- +100%THR switch (ID0) no trim curve (c??)
+100%THR switch (ID1) no trim curve (c??)
+100%THR switch (ID2) no trim curve (c??)
Ch4- +100%RUD
Ch5- +50%P2 switch (GEA) offset (100%)
+-50%P2 switch (!GEA) offset (100%)
Ch6- +100%CYC3

Tried all swash type and still nothing.
Collective is set for channel 11 (can’t remember the settings, and I can’t remember the curves either).

From the receiver (using the stock 8ch turnigy) to the ZYX-S gyro
Ch1- (Aileron) to Aileron on the gyro
Ch2- (Elevator) to Pit/Ele/Aux on the gyro (red wire-elevator)
Ch3- (Throttle) to the esc
Ch4- (Rudder) to the Rudder on the gyro
Ch5- (Gear) to Pit/Ele/Aux on the gyro (black wire-tail gain)
Ch6- (Aux) Pit/Ele/Aux on the gyro (white wire collective pitch)

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I think you have misunderstood about not using the heli settings. The flybarless controller will take care of the mixing. You simply need to send it straight AIL, ELE, Pitch, and RUD inputs.
Try this file as a template:
-Gohst

Note I set up the sticky throttle cut (heli style). To enable the throttle you will need to be in normal mode(ID0) and put the throttle stick all the way down before the throttle output(CH3) will increase.
Also when setting the pitch ranges in your flybarless use mode ID1 or ID2. ID0 does not go to full negative pitch.
Attachments
FBLTemp.eepm
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 1489 times
nsf

Post by nsf »

Thanks gohsthb. Will try the template and report
nsf

Post by nsf »

Ok. So, got the ciclic working with gohsthb template. Thanks. Just had to switch elevator to channel 1 and aileron to channel 2 and then invert the channel 2 servo. All working fine, I think. Will post a video soon for you guys to see, and let me know how it looks.
However collective isn't working. moving the throttle the swashplate tilts to one of the sides.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

In mine I had to set the swash type. Make sure that you have yours set to 120 degree type. Or check the servo reversing, see page 10 of your manual. It will be one of these 2. For servo reversing don't worry if the aileron or elevator function is backward that can be changed in the Tx. Get it to move correctly for pitch.
-Gohst
nsf

Post by nsf »

Thanks everybody, specialy gohsthb, I finnaly got it working. Put back aileron in channel 1 and elevator in channel 2, and after some tweaking and reversing in the tarot gyro software got everything to work. Now cyclic and collective pitch are fine.
Tanks again everybody for all the help.
fabric8

Post by fabric8 »

NSF, could you please share your working eepm file?
In the heli tab, did you have to set the swash type to 90 or 120? And did you have to set a collective channel?

And are these wiring settings still valid?
From the receiver (using the stock 8ch turnigy) to the ZYX-S gyro
Ch1- (Aileron) to Aileron on the gyro
Ch2- (Elevator) to Pit/Ele/Aux on the gyro (red wire-elevator)
Ch3- (Throttle) to the esc
Ch4- (Rudder) to the Rudder on the gyro
Ch5- (Gear) to Pit/Ele/Aux on the gyro (black wire-tail gain)
Ch6- (Aux) Pit/Ele/Aux on the gyro (white wire collective pitch)

thanks!!!
Measuredpath

Post by Measuredpath »

I am curious myself as I'll be setting a new heli in the weeks to follow with a FBL setup
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Here is my working setup. I have a Trex450(clone) and a hobbymate HB800 FBL gyro. Also I have a castle ESC setup in governor mode. That is why my throttle curves are flat lines.
-Gohst
Attachments
450FBL.eepm
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 1208 times
kaos

Post by kaos »

hmm, may be we should have a separate template just for FBL heli set up so the new user won't get confused.
or put the FBL set up eepe from Gohsthb in the template section as FBL set up (a big separate thread/title) with some explanation of governor mode or none governor mode.
After all, er9x is most confusing (for new user) for heli set up, compared to other tx software.
Measuredpath

Post by Measuredpath »

Kaos, you hit the nail on the head with that. I am just wrapping my head around everything and its slowly coming together and now I went FBL. If you folks would be kind to do so that would be fantastic.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Because I am still one of you NORMAL people, not NERDISH yet. :mrgreen:
but I think I am getting infected by the Nerdish virus already. :lol:
Measuredpath

Post by Measuredpath »

Forgive my ignorance, but why am I unable to view this on Companion9X even if I were to change the file type to .eepe.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

It seems that companion 9x doesn't do eepm files. Which are just the model without the rest of the eeprom, general settings, etc.
Here is an .eepe version. Companion opens this on my computer.
-Gohst
Attachments
450FBL.eepe
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 879 times
Measuredpath

Post by Measuredpath »

Thank you, I'll try it at home later today
Measuredpath

Post by Measuredpath »

Works great, however it appears it is setup for a Mode 1 setup and not a Mode 2. What and how can I reverse that mix so that I can setup the heli ;) . I am clueless in this sense.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

That's odd?? I only fly mode 2. Maybe when I imported the model to a new eeprom file I didn't change the general settings to mode 2. Simply try changing that setting and then I think it should work.
-Gohst
Measuredpath

Post by Measuredpath »

What software did you use originally to load it onto the Tx? I do run a windows platform as well. I can load the settings there.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Eepe

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
nsf

Post by nsf »

sorry to bother again guys, but need you help.
Dont know if this is the right topic, thought it would be ok instead of opening a new one.
Every thing was working fine with er9x and the ZYX gyro, but I decided to instal open9x and give it a try, and it's starting to grow on me.
Since then, something is wrong. The collective pitch is not working. I had to change channel 1 and 2 to get the cyclic moving in the proper way. Aileron is now on channel 2 and elevator in channel 1, but something is not right. moving the aileron stick the swashplate tilts to the same side, but the rear servo (ch3) also moves up or down.
I'm using the template provided by gohsthb.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Sounds like you have maybe inserted an additional mix that you don't need?
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hey, where has my post gone lol.

Check stick mode in the radio settings.
nsf

Post by nsf »

Already checked, it's in mode 2.
I will look the mixes carefully
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Converting complex models between er9x and open9x requires lots of attention. Basic things translate well, but some advanced functions are very different or don't exist at all, so can't been converted automatically.
nsf

Post by nsf »

ok Kilrah. Didn't know that, and it could be the problem since I opened the template provided by gohsthb in companion9x and send it to the tx.
Could you guide me through the conversion of the template to use in open9x?
Thanks for all the help and info. Always learning.
nsf

Post by nsf »

Could someone please enlighten me what is the mixing in open 9x for collective swashplate movement.
I have been cracking my head and trying all that I can think of and cant make it work.
Using the above templates the colective doesn't work, and the cyclic isn't perfect. I had to change channel 1 and 2 to get the cyclic moving in the proper way. Moving the elevator stick it tilts the same way, but when I move the aileron it doesn't move to the right.
Could someone explain how mixes work in open 9x or give me a link aimed at newbies.

Return to “Helicoptor Programming”