DSM2 work

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
pmackenzie

Re: DSM2 work

Post by pmackenzie »

If you have done no other mods to the radio just use the "vanilla" ER9X.
Can't comment on the latest or stable, I am using a very old one myself right now with some small changes to it.

deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

pmackenzie wrote:If you have done no other mods to the radio just use the "vanilla" ER9X.
Can't comment on the latest or stable, I am using a very old one myself right now with some small changes to it.

:oops: :oops: VANILLA :oops: :oops: :?: :?:
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

gotcha :D
Wene001

Post by Wene001 »

Do you think there is a chance to read the firmware from my DX8 DSM-X HP Module (or even better from DX10T)
and flash it back to a DX4e Module to use more channels ?

Greets

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

It should be possible.
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

It should not be possible if the engineers at Spektrum have a clue what they are doing.
All they have to do is set a fuse bit to read protect the device.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Be optimistic... :O
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

If they knew what they were doing they would have designed the DX6i so that it has a throttle hold switch on Acro as well as Heli mode.

From a safety point of view there is no excuse for it. Anyone who flies electric power should have the facility if only to prevent injury.

I'm glad I'm moving to 9X after having a few interesting moments when setting up fixed wing and nudging the throttle by accident :)
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

Ok doing the dsm mode.Does this look right?
Also where does the ppm wire with the diode install go on the tx?
Thanks
Tom
Attachments
P3170056.JPG
superslow

DSM2/X in a module possible?

Post by superslow »

Ok. I feel stupid for asking this. I have read through this thread as well as the DSM one. I have been using DM9 modules with fly sky version of the 9x since early lastyear and I also would like to use frisky module. My firmware is

trunk-r 434
v1.4585-erez
may 08 2011

All I did was plug in the module in and adjust page 2 of model menu proto entry to 400uSec so the servos will center on the UM planes.

For the most part, I see folks here mod the TX so that it is DSM* only by soldering in the TX. Since I already have a DM9, My interest is purely gaining DSMX by adding another module via the instructions here to gain DSMX so I do not want to solder in the TX.

I can not find guidelines for module based install. I also don't understand why the protocol will need to change in the firmware (since my old firmware from last year works find with DM9).

Would someone please point me to module based install as well as what I would gain/loose by updating the firmware?

I guess I can always backup my current one since it has been working well. But I would like to know what I am getting my self into.

thanks everyone.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Simply continue using your DM9, AFAIK you won't gain anything switching away from it. It's actually the "cleanest" solution to control DSM* stuff.
The point of the "soldering into the TX" part is to allow using Spektrum RF transmitters scavenged from the lowest end radios (either the "toy" transmitters that come with some PNP planes, or DX4e that you can find for about $30-50 on eBay), making it a cheaper alternative to a ~$120 DM9.

The protocol changes for a simple reason. Any JR/Graupner transmitter with a module slot will output a standard PPM signal, which any module designed to fit in will expect. So normally, any module you'd plug in there would need no protocol adjustment (leave it on PPM).
The Spektrum transmitter that is found in the radios and extracted for the DSM mod however requires a different, digital serial data protocol. So when people do the mod, they then need to choose DSM as protocol in ER9x, so the transmitter gets what it expects.
This does NOT apply to your DM9, because it's a real, standard JR-format module, so Spektrum have included a processor inside the DM9 that will transparently take the standard PPM signal, and convert it to what the transmitter module wants.

So, in summary, you don't need to upgrade anything. When you want to use FrSky, take the DM9 out, insert the FrSky module, and you're done. No soldering and no upgrade needed.
Upgrading ER9x in itself would add you some transmitter functions (maybe check ER9x changelog to see what) and wouldn't break compatibility with your DM9, but would require you to reprogram your models.
Upgrade is only required if you want FrSky telemetry display on the radio's screen, and this would require soldering too.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

deadaim57 wrote: Also where does the ppm wire with the diode install go on the tx?
Here: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... source.jpg
Clivew

Re: DSM2 work DM9 or DX4e module?

Post by Clivew »

A couple of things spring to mind (well lurch into mind actually!)
By fitting a module from a DX4E into a 9x (or in a plug in module case)
you will get model match, 6 channels and DX7 latency.
Oh, and DSMx as well as a bonus!
Oh, and you can bind and range check without fiddling with the DM9 button.
Oh, and half the cost of a DM9, which doesn't do DSMx
Oh, and lower power consumption I guess.
This is beginning to sound like Monty Python.. "What did the Romans do for us?" :)
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

Does anyone know the trace dayron was talking about to cut for inserting a switch to go between dsm and standard moduals.
I understand how to wire it all up just not 100% on which trace to cut power to original module. My muly meter I thought I say two of these pins showing 5v. Going from some pictures crucial put up with his mod he uses the third down from top ,the ppm pin. I am only assuming that this is the trace dayron is talking about the third pin down trace. Pictures are always awesome

Have done a temp job for tomorrow to try and get it to bind to a orange micro dsm in my hk micro extra ,until my hobby king ubec shows up and just use power from 3.3G pole. I raided a dx4e but on the module it says dx5 sticker.
cre8tiveleo

DSM2 work

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Somewhere... I read that the dx4e has a dx5e module in it... Can't remember who wrote that or where...
*shrugs* maybe i'll read the wiki.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dxzvse
stretton74

Post by stretton74 »

was going to try bind to orangerx r415 but lipo went flat and funny thing is i realized i need to now make an adapter to fit my charger.grewat more soldering
It works did a run up on the blade mcpx and it bound, power is still running of the main board until HK UBEC shows up, should be soon. Will play around with a few different eepe setting i have gotten from this forum thankyou for the upload guys... i ended up finding the page about the dx4e being the dx5 modual. it is a HP module either way but i think this will allow for model memory if i'm correct.

If someone can confirm the trace to cut power to orignial signal so i can run a swtivh between dsm and original. i still think it is the trace conecting with the third pin down from the top where the PPM signal is taken.
DelDredd

Post by DelDredd »

On my FlySky TH9X thet 3rd pin ie the middle one is battery voltage to module so you should be safe using that as track to switch.
Used a pinout of JR module to check pins, only one not to match was pin 4 (+5V) which is not present when i measured it.

I put my DSM module in a case with header plug so that it replaces the Fly Sky module when required.

Uses ground from pin 2, PPM on pin 5 and Batt Volts on Pin 3 for the 3.3V regulator i added to power module.
TheSpirit

JETI and DSM within a TH9X

Post by TheSpirit »

Hi.
I have a Jeti TU EX Modul within my Turnigy (firmware er9x) and everything works great.
Now i wanted to install a DSM modul from a HP6DSM.
I followed the guide within the wiki.
To power the Jeti Modul or the DSM Modul, i have two switches. One switch gives 3,3V power to the jeti modul, and the other gives 5V to a adapter board with a voltage regulator and the diode on it.
After that, i measure 3,25V on the dsm board.
Now i wanted to buind a Orange Receiver which allready works great with a DX8.
But i was unable to bind.
I turned of the splash screen, the voltage trigger and the stick alarm.
During power on i hold the trainer switch, but without any success.
My only idea is now, that it is a problem, that both ppm wires (the one to the jeti modul and the one to the diode on the adapter board to the dsm board) are connected on the same time (while only one is powered).
Do you think that this could be the cause why it is not working?
Thanks for your help,
Andreas
Ufdah

Post by Ufdah »

Does the built in 9x module use 3.3V also? If so could a person just switch power between the stock module and the DX4E module without needing another regulator? Is the built in regulator sufficient for a DX4E DSMX module?
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Yes you can install a switch to turn either module off.

No the internal 3.3v regulator isn't going to power the module from a dx4e. You have to scavenge the regulator from the dx4e or use something like a 3.3v BEC.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Uh no, the stock RF uses 5V. There is a 5V regulator in the module case that supplies only the module from the battery voltage that's present on the module connector.
I reused it for my module-based DSM mod, I kept the existing 5V reg and chained the DX4e's regulator (It wouldn't take the battery voltage as input).
Crucial

DSM2 work

Post by Crucial »

My mistake. I edited the post.
Ufdah

Post by Ufdah »

Thanks guys! Makes sense. I'll just use the regulator from the donor transmitter which is actually a DX5E. Do you know if the 3.3V regulator powers anything else on the DX5E? If not I could still use that as a buddy box and simulator transmitter right?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The 3.3V Vreg powers the whole radio AFAIK.
icanfly

Post by icanfly »

I've got all the parts to do the mod but I just noticed that my 1uf and 10uf capacitors are 35 volts, not 16. Does that matter? I figured not but don't want to hose something up because I didn't ask the experts here.

Thanks.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nope, no problem :)
Crucial

DSM2 work

Post by Crucial »

The voltage rating is the maximum amount of voltage that a capacitor should be exposed to and can store safely.
rifled

Post by rifled »

I am about to install the dsm module from a hp6dsm into my turnigy 9x, could someone please explain to me how to install a switch to switch the power back and forth between the dsm and the factory module? I would greatly appreciate it I can't seen to find any info anywhere

Thanks, pictures would be great too. Lol
Daryoon

Post by Daryoon »

See this post. There are some photos with an overview of things wired up with a switch already in place. Albeit it's hidden from view.
http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/07/hp6dsm ... -wired-up/

I haven't got any request about a write up.

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”