Using DSM module from a recalled DX4e?

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I have obtained a used DX4e with the intention of harvesting the module for use in a 9x. Unfortunately, I now discover that it is one of those early ones recalled by Spektrum as a result of problems when in DSM2 mode and that it was never sent in to Horizon Hobby for the fix.

Should I assume that the module is where the fault resides and that I therefore should not use it unless I first send the transmitter to Horizon for upgrade? Or was the fault elsewhere, meaning that the module is usable as is?

rperkins

Re: Using DSM module from a recalled DX4e?

Post by rperkins »

Here was a thread about it from last year. Unfortunately the link I'd posted at that time to the spektrum website is no longer valid.

I think the answer to your question may lie in whether you plan to utilize dsmx or only dsm2. I cant remember much more than the fact that this post existed. sorry.
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... all#p19378
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Thanks for that link. It confirms my conclusion that I should not use the module. Right now I have an HP6DSM from which I can steal the module, and DSM2 is really all that counts. I might also send in the DX4e for the fix.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

FYI
HK has a plug in orange dsm/dsm2/dsmx module as well as a new solder in version.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Daedalus66 wrote:Thanks for that link. It confirms my conclusion that I should not use the module. Right now I have an HP6DSM from which I can steal the module, and DSM2 is really all that counts. I might also send in the DX4e for the fix.
I used the HP6DSM module and antenna. Very easy to extract and use. See here:9x gets a Spektrum module from a HP6DSM

It works fine and has the same range as my 6DXi.

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

pmullen503 wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote:Thanks for that link. It confirms my conclusion that I should not use the module. Right now I have an HP6DSM from which I can steal the module, and DSM2 is really all that counts. I might also send in the DX4e for the fix.
I used the HP6DSM module and antenna. Very easy to extract and use. See here:9x gets a Spektrum module from a HP6DSM

It works fine and has the same range as my 6DXi.
Thanks for the reassurance and link. That's the way I'll go.
Nurffe

Post by Nurffe »

Daedalus66 wrote:I have obtained a used DX4e with the intention of harvesting the module for use in a 9x. Unfortunately, I now discover that it is one of those early ones recalled by Spektrum as a result of problems when in DSM2 mode and that it was never sent in to Horizon Hobby for the fix.

Should I assume that the module is where the fault resides and that I therefore should not use it unless I first send the transmitter to Horizon for upgrade? Or was the fault elsewhere, meaning that the module is usable as is?
How did you know it was one of early ones which should have been replaced?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Spektrum had a list of serial number ranges that were affected.

Envoyé de mon SM-G900F en utilisant Tapatalk
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”