Orange RX

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
CGFlyer

Orange RX

Post by CGFlyer »

Hi all,

New here and just got my er9x going. I'm currently configuring it for my Pawnee. When I bought the transmitter, I also ordered the Orange RX module to use with my DSM BNF foamies. I have a DX5e that I previously used, but figured this module with er9x would bring much greater capability than the DX5e will ever have.

Ok, so is there an easy way to swap between the stock 9x antenna and the Orange RX module? I was wondering if I could have a quick disconnect, or a switch, to turn off the stock antenna while using the DSM antenna. Ideally, they would share the stock antenna, bit I don't think that's even a possibility.

I've been searching, but I'm not clear on how folks are installing the module or incorporating it into their existing set-up. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cgf

ShowMaster

Re: Orange RX

Post by ShowMaster »

The quick answer to adding a switch to the antenna system is NO.
The antenna and coax is a 50 ohm system. Anything added to this path has capacitance and/or inductance that can detune the system. The basic RF rule is if the source ( RF output circuit) and the load (the tuned antenna) are 50 ohms and the coax is 50 ohms, all output power should be radiated by the antenna. Anything that alters this 50 matched circuit results in an unbalance that results in lost RF power that stays in the coax (transmission line) or returned to the output circuit as SWR.
RF is AC so inductance and capacitance come into play here.
In a DC circuit impedance (AC resistance) isn't an issue so wiring can be switched with few consequences.

Long explanation to answer no but hopefully you'll get the idea.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

I assume you bought a Turnigy 9x from HK with the flysky module. Unfortunately, it's hard wired to the antenna on the case and so you can't use your OrangeRX module without removing the stock antenna and the Flysky(Turnigy) module. (Yes, it was really dumb of HK to sell a module based radio where you can't swap modules.)

If you don't plan to use the Flysky module and receiver at all, I would carefully desolder the cable from the module and remove the antenna. You could then sell the module, antenna and receiver. With the release of the new 9XR, there seems to be a market for the Flysky module.

If you want to use the Flysky module you have a couple options. One, remove the stock antenna and relocate it to the Flysky module (somewhat tricky desoldering and resoldering of the antenna cable involved). Or you can buy a Flysky module with the antenna on it (FS TM002). Cut or desolder the cable and remove the stock antenna and module.

HK doesn't sell the Flysky TM002 module so you'll have to find it elsewhere (which also makes no sense.)
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Orange RX

Post by dvogonen »

Only cut the wire if you have no solder equipment at all. Cutting the wire makes it a great deal harder to put it back together. Removing the wire with a soldering iron is easy.

If you plan to reuse the antenna you should start by looking at the solder point of the antenna wire with a magnifying glass. The wire is actually a coaxial wire and both the lead and the sleeve are soldered to the module PCB. Hard to see with the naked eye.
CGFlyer

Post by CGFlyer »

I bought my controller from hobbypartz, and my led and orange rx module from hk.

Ok...so if I got this correctly...the antennas are incompatible. If I want to use the controller for both DSM and FS receivers, then the easiest way would be to relocated the FS antenna onto the FS module...but I'd still have to due solder a coax cable within the FS module. Hmmm...looking at the orange RX module I thought this was gonna be a simple plug and play. I don't know if the orange RX module is worth it then....

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

CGFlyer wrote: If I want to use the controller for both DSM and FS receivers, then the easiest way would be to relocated the FS antenna onto the FS module...but I'd still have to due solder a coax cable within the FS module. Hmmm...looking at the orange RX module I thought this was gonna be a simple plug and play. I don't know if the orange RX module is worth it then....
That's right. If you want to be able to switch modules, both have to have the antenna mounted on the module. That means you either have to modify the existing FlySky module or you have to buy a new one (about $20).
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Why not build the FlySky module into the radio freeing the place for the module?

Reinhard
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Or disembowel the orange rx unit and install that internally :)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

:mrgreen: disembowel :mrgreen:
I like it :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Lol... It was rather descriptive :)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

OK, I've finished all of the mods. Now all I have to do is plug in the battery and do a range check. :?

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I think I've repaired a few like that, just take it slow.
Here's a typical day for me at the button factory.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357359310.120865.jpg
Easier to trace when they're color coded wires.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”