HP6DSM module doesn't bind

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
jjacks85

HP6DSM module doesn't bind

Post by jjacks85 »

Hi,
I did an unsuccessful attempt to get my 9X working with module brought from DX4e.
Power comes from 3.3V UBEC, the only difference from an original circuit is that I used 1N4148 instead of 1N914 but I've been told that they are interchangeable.

No luck with binding to my mCPX and OrangeRX receiver either. Even worse is that external module stopped working as well (both were powered at same time, i didn't put module switch yet).

External module gets back to work as I disconnect UBEC from power OR desolder signal wire from DSM module. Seems like diode + resistor is messing up with PPM signal coming from 9X.

What could go wrong? Maybe i fried an DSM module up during desoldering from DX4e(it took a while to get it from there).
Or 1n4148 diode doesn't fit there?
Any help?

pmullen503

Re: HP6DSM module doesn't bind

Post by pmullen503 »

We'll need some more details. Where are you getting the ppm signal? Have you checked your DSM mods to make sure its done correctly? Diode in the right direction? Using the right settings in your firmware?

Since both the DX4e and HP6DSM mods failed, there might be something wrong with how you are trying to hook things up.

Here's my HP6DSM mod: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1691703
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As a start, don't connect the PPM signal to both modules at the same time.
Then, do you have the 1k resistor mod? It can cause problems with DSM. Even more if you leave the PPM signal connected to both modules, and with the 1N4148 that has a slightly higher voltage drop.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Where is the bec drawing the power from?
jjacks85

Post by jjacks85 »

Thanks your your feedback guys, problem is solved now. I just got back from Maplin with a multimeter and found out that UBEC wasn't grounded properly. I did a quick binding test and it's fine :) I need to tidy things up now, fit a switch and DX4 antenna

daklein

Post by daklein »

Ha!! It works! :lol: Have an HP6DSM module hooked up and now working! with er9x r780, DSM, DSM2only settings, bench 3.3v supply until a ubec arrives. wired this way: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... hifter.jpg with a schotty diode and 4.7k resistor.

I've been hurting myself for hours now until 4 am, checking everything and checking twice, why it would not bind.

So, the yet another reason why it may not bind? Pull the correct trainer switch dummy! :oops:

If I recall correctly, my 9x was originally a mode 1, and the trainer momentary switch was on the right. Along with the stick centering, I swapped the switches way back, to get the mechanical momentary switch on the left, and click on/off switch on the right for throttle hold on helicopter, what I was used to so far. But never swapped the wires, and haven't used it for heli until setting up one now. So I was pulling throttle hold, not trainer switch. Check the front screen and make sure it's the trainer switch being pulled.

Probably there's a way to swap the switch functions? That would solve it also?

Found a nice old C&K error-proof pull and flip DPDT switch. (from an old $10 item from Skycraft in Orlando, it's been waiting decades to be used). This will swap power and signal between the DSM module inside the 9x case, and the external module socket. It'll look pretty neat, AND, I am not likely to flip it accidentally.

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”