The end of the DSM mod...

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
Scott Page

Re: The end of the DSM mod...

Post by Scott Page »

Or realizing you forgot to remove the battery on one model (with landing gear) as you're hand launching the next.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:I may get the orange module just because of that and put my DX4e module to sleep. ;)
You may want to try open9x. There the "model match number" isn't tied to the model memory number, it's a freely definable number in each model's settings. So no rebinding when moving a model, you can set several models to the same number if you wish, or leave them all on 0 like I do to effectively disable the feature.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Hmm, definitely is going to see that when the Open9x get on the Sky9X V3. ;) but, isn't that just defeated the purpose of model matching to begin with? If you have 2 rx set up in two spot, you still end up flying the wrong model by selecting the wrong model? I guess I am asking how the 'model match' info is communicated then? the DSM rx is two way?
Scott Page wrote:Or realizing you forgot to remove the battery on one model (with landing gear) as you're hand launching the next.
Better than forgetting to land. :mrgreen:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:but, isn't that just defeated the purpose of model matching to begin with?
It jsut lets you do what you want with the feature, your call to (mis)use it or not. For example I have a model for which I use 2 model memories, where the auxiliary features are configured differently.

Model match simply gives a number to the TX module, that it combines with it's own ID. So if the number is different than when the receiver was bound, the receiver will see the same as if it was another radio than the one it's bound to that was transmitting.
kaos

Post by kaos »

so the open9x will attach a number to that specific set up to do the model matching, intstead of automatically use the number from the model setup number? If so, that is more like what I call 'model match' should be - model setup match. Definitely will look into that when my open9x is up.

for the current DSMX model matching , it is annoying. Can't ever remember what the number it was on ;) , once I move the setup around while I am still not settled on one single tx to use yet. To get around that I have to set it up at the last model every time (don't have 16 model yet) so I won't forget what model number I set it up.
I guess all this is because there are more than one Tx and moving models from Tx to tx. If someone use only use one Tx then it would be better.
But like you are doing, one rx with different setup. only the open9x as you described can do that. otherwise it won't work without rebinding.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes as I said, when Protocol is set to DSM on the model setup page there's an "RxNum" parameter under it that appears and that you can set to whatever you want.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Perfect! :)
xrw1234

Post by xrw1234 »

I just got one of the HK DSM2/DSMX modules for my TH9X, it only works in PPM mode. I can say at his point I'm not impressed with it. I've bound it to a couple of receivers both DSM2 and DSMX and the servos on a couple of the channels are slow and eratic. I tired both analog and digital servos with the same outcome. Has anyone else observed this behavior? I put my Frsky DJT transmitter module back in and checked it on a D8R-IIplus receiver and everything is fine.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I think only one other person has got his on here at this point, and he didn't mention a problem - might not have tested enough. I'm still waiting on mine.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If someone's interested, I just got an in-stock notification.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I have 2 on their way for a week now. Maybe another week for 1 to arrive? I have a 6 year old dx7 that I don't use much since I went to Frsky but several BNF planes are calling to me. I would rather use my modified 9X TX so I'll compare the HK DSM to my DX7, to my DX4e dsm module I made when I have them all together.
SM
Angoradreng

Post by Angoradreng »

Just got an email from HK , saying that there is a problem with the modules, and that they would give me the opportunity to cancel the order ?

Anyone that knows what the deal is ? Or have I misunderstood the mail?
I have had a few order in Backorder, but this is the first email that I have gotten regarding this issue.

Dear Customer

We have been unable to ship your order right now because of an issue with one of the items purchased.
Please log into your account in our website to view the status of your order.

If one of your items shows 'backorder' this may be due to an issue with the product in stock. In this case you can request to have the entire order cancelled, or cancel the item and have it refunded. You can do this quickly and easily through your account section in the website.
We appologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Why did this happen? Sometimes stock may be damaged, or missing a component (arrived from factory without accessories etc.) or for some other reason it's unable to be shipped. HobbyKing staff check each item before it's shipped, and they must have found an issue with 1 of the items you ordered, thus we're sending you this email to let you know.

Regards
http://www.hobbyking.com
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Doesn't necessarily say there's a problem with the module, but that they can't supply right now for some reason they're not telling precisely...
Interesting, it went back to BK. Maybe they set it as "in stock" again by mistake and retracted it?

I should receive mine probably tomorrow, will see if it works... There's one guy who posted a video of CH2 not responding anymore after a while...
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Mine shows it's 25 mikes away at 3:18 am at a postal receiving depot. Hopefully it gets to my local post office today. If not I'll get it tomorrow for sure.
Hopefully with more of us receiving ours we'll be able to give some factual reviews.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok just put the new oranfe module in my Sky 9x and fired it up. It bound dsm2 and is working. I did notice that the Ail would hesitate at center and studiers and then moves, it happened either direction. The other channels were OK.
My frame length was set to 22 Ms so I reduced it and when I got to 16-18 Ms it was ok. All channels seem smooth to me now on a 6200 RX
I guess the next this to do is to fly it and also see if I can find someone with a DSMX RX to bind to to test that mode.
SM
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Be sure to check it thoroughly. It does seem there's an issue:
RENATOA wrote:Already they are in damage minimizing mode... the DSM module launched some days ago was reported defective by many purchasers.
Wondering if 11/15 date is still to consider...
There are a couple of reports of the same AIL problem on the product page too.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I be careful on the first flight, thanks. Punishment for being first on the block to have it I guess.
Thanks to er9x I'm able to modify/reduce the frame rate. It does seem to act normally now. Any ideas of a down side to running a 16-18Ms frame rate instead of the 22Ms default I've been using?

I can see why those with fixes frame rates are I'm trouble. I'll try it in my older pcm 10 tx and see what happens.
SM

ShowMaster
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ShowMaster wrote:Any ideas of a down side to running a 16-18Ms frame rate instead of the 22Ms default I've been using?
You should reduce the number of PPM channels to 6, then you'll be fine. If the module plays nice that is ;)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Reducing the channels to 6 doesn"t do it?
I posted this on the HK site. We may get a lot more 9X owners over here real soon!

Any frame rate over 20 Ms will cause this to happen I've found. I'll be test flying this week this way.

Setting your frame rate to under 20Ms like 16-18 will make it work fine no and dropout as far as my setups go. My pcm10 acts the same way with this module only it's Ail Ch.
If you verify I’m correct please post it so we all know I’m not just lucky.

My er9x flashed 9x tx will allow frame rate setting.
All is OK once I go under 21Ms frame rate.
In my case I bought this module to use with an er9x flashed 9x so I think it's a win win for me!
I bought this only to use some BNF indoor planes. For real reliability I switched to Frsky along time ago and haven’t looked back, until now UGH!
So if you can alter your frame rate you could be a winner until a fix comes along. I hope it’s a flash update or we all will be unhappy we jumped in so soon.
I did buy an extra one for my PCM 10 but now it may just be a spare or a resale item.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ShowMaster wrote: If you verify I’m correct please post it so we all know I’m not just lucky.
I will once I get it. Still stuck at customs according to the tracking no, it's been there for 2 days already.
ShowMaster wrote:Reducing the channels to 6 doesn"t do it?
What I meant is, IF you set frame rate to 18ms or less, ALSO reduce the no of channels to 6. 8 channels with 18ms can cause drops when servo positions are too much towards the high side.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, I understand. The most I'm going to use is 4 ch so I'll reduce it in the menu to 6 and try that. Actually 21Ms seems to be Ok as well so maybe as other er9x owners get theirs that will be tested.
I sure hope it's a flash fix. I don't want to send this all the way back to China. Maybe an exchange in the US store, dreamer that I am.
My always works first time Frsky is sure laughing at me sitting here.
SM
Angoradreng

Post by Angoradreng »

Dont want to bother with it, cancelled my order :-)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If your order hasn't left then you're OK, they know about the problem and put orders on hold, so they won't ship before it's fixed (hopefully at least)...
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Just my luck that I ordered the second one and it shipped. Thankfully er9x came to my rescue while this gets worked out.

ShowMaster
rabono

Post by rabono »

I was lucky and was able to canceled it. I will wait for the next batch
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm glad we early birds could do the beta testing HK should have done.
I've been doing this for years for Microsoft. Ha Ha

ShowMaster
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

A look inside the HK orange DSM module.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353081958.240046.jpg

If there is a way to update the FW to fix the ch 2 issue it's not going to be easy thinking. Back to the factory or HK I'm afraid.
SM

ShowMaster
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353081979.686257.jpg
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Backside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353082874.792014.jpg

ShowMaster
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Frontside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353083708.425252.jpg
SM

ShowMaster
kaos

Post by kaos »

ShowMaster wrote:I'm glad we early birds could do the beta testing HK should have done.
I've been doing this for years for Microsoft. Ha Ha
\
You really mean 'Guinea Pigs', as we all use Windows! :lol: :lol:

Keep the test result coming. ;)

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”