Ten Deg. of Freedom Inertial Sensor w/ Dynamic Orientat

Are you in-to First Person Viewing? Got an interesting hack/mod? Let us know!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

New product from Analog Devices - ADIS16480. Not sure if it something evolutionary but was interesting to me. The weight 48G. The dimensions ~46x45x13 mm. The price for qty of 1 is a mere $2457 Probably woulda never started this post if I knew that :)

taken from http://www.analog.com/en/mems-sensors/m ... oduct.html

The ADIS16480 iSensor® device is a complete inertial system that includes a triaxial gyroscope, a triaxial accelerometer, triaxial magnetometer, pressure sensor, and an extended Kalman filter (EKF) for dynamic orientation sensing.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nope, pretty common, price has just gone down a bit (I integrated one for a customer a couple if years ago, was worth $5k however that one integrated a gps too).

If you don't need industrial precision and reliability, calibration certificates etc you can get a $150 open source IMU that will do pretty much the same :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rperkins

Re: Ten Deg. of Freedom Inertial Sensor w/ Dynamic Orientat

Post by rperkins »

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering why it was so expensive. My piloting skills need to come a long way but FPV interests me.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It doesn't have much to do with FPV, but nevermind - all you need for FPV is a camera, a video transmitter/receiver and a display :D

The sensor components are quite cheap, not much more than the $150 you pay for the hobby/DIY versions. But If you want to guarantee some level of precision and repeatability that is suitable for industrial use on an IMU that uses "consumer-grade" components, you need complicated code (many many development hours), extreme care during manufacturing, and individual static and dynamic bench calibration of each single unit that goes out of the factory. That's what drives the much higher cost.
domberti

Post by domberti »

Dear,
I see you have experience on ADIS16480.
I am integrating this inertial platform on an object. This object can jump and rotate any direction. How can i measure the height of my object?
I hope you can help me!
Thank you so much!!!

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Sorry I do not have any experience with this product. I was subscribed to an Analog Devices mailing list and this was a new product that came up over 2 years ago. A couple of years ago I was interested in their DSP's and joined the engineers zone at AD. I'd start at this website to find your answers. I was able to get responses from their engineers for my questions.

https://ez.analog.com/message/156264#156264
domberti

Post by domberti »

thank you so much.

I hope someone can help me!

Return to “FPV Projects”