ArduVoice-9x Voice Module with Arduino for the 9x Radio

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
fxshoppe

Re: ArduVoice-9x Voice Module with Arduino for the 9x Radio

Post by fxshoppe »

MikeB wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:52 pm The required fuses are described in the "instructions.pdf" file on Github for the amod.

1. The '128 is running at 5V. What voltage is your promini running on? If 5V, with a level converter to the SD card, then these connections are OK.
2. OK, but make sure the fuses don't then try to start in the bootloader.

If we can get the trims switches working, then we can get the amp side working later.

Mike
Thanks Mike

I assume the only way to enter bootloader is through trims so noted.

Really appreciate all the help, strangely I am zeroing it to a specific brand of promini bought them because they were with xtals strangely the same card reader is playing standard wave file using tmrpcm library and test wavefile on root of sdcard but when uploaded on this promini it is dud.

My entire gig is running on 5volts and the 3.3 volts conversion happening at sd card level

blessing in disguise learnt lots of things fuses,custom compile

If God permits and if am back in UK would like to take you out for beer
rgds Amit

fxshoppe

Post by fxshoppe »

Houston success at last

Compiled both the bootloader and program merged it to hex file as suggested.

The promini was not happy with twisted pair wires between card reader and promini.

Have not connected amp but a direct speaker to pin 6 and ground & voila have voice, trims working, backup & restore working.

https://youtu.be/ixSAVQ5b7dU

Now happy to help anyone who has abandoned this project.

Thanks Mike and everyone for patience and help
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hey, good news.. well done, wonderful.. I haven't messed with this again since I wrote the first post. I have only one radio with stock board and it has an arduvoice inside.. But I have no reason to open it as it is working well.. :) I know that this voice module can be problematic sometimes. I spent many hours trying to make it work when Mike was writing the code to support it.. Actually I have just found the first 2 ever Arduvoice modules inside my computer desk drawer :)

You could now try to connect your amp and see if it has any problem..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Wait a second, why did your radio say "Radio battery low"? Was the battery empty? Have you set an alarm for the radio battery? What firmware do you have installed on the radio??

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
fxshoppe

Post by fxshoppe »

fxshoppe wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm Houston success at last

Compiled both the bootloader and program merged it to hex file as suggested.

The promini was not happy with twisted pair wires between card reader and promini.

Have not connected amp but a direct speaker to pin 5(not pin 6 as posted earlier) and ground & voila have voice, trims working, backup & restore working.

https://youtu.be/ixSAVQ5b7dU

Now happy to help anyone who has abandoned this project.

Thanks Mike and everyone for patience and help
PIN 5 not PIN 6 as posted earlier

fxshoppe

Post by fxshoppe »

jhsa wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:55 pm Wait a second, why did your radio say "Radio battery low"? Was the battery empty? Have you set an alarm for the radio battery? What firmware do you have installed on the radio??

João
Er9x pr822 (test version of 128 bit proc)

Some teething issues need to fix :D
Have connected a 12v charger as was too difficult to open and shut back cover.

Amit
fxshoppe

Post by fxshoppe »

jhsa wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:51 pm Hey, good news.. well done, wonderful.. I haven't messed with this again since I wrote the first post. I have only one radio with stock board and it has an arduvoice inside.. But I have no reason to open it as it is working well.. :) I know that this voice module can be problematic sometimes. I spent many hours trying to make it work when Mike was writing the code to support it.. Actually I have just found the first 2 ever Arduvoice modules inside my computer desk drawer :)

You could now try to connect your amp and see if it has any problem..

João
I can understand sharing all this because lots of people abandon the DIY due to initial teething issue.

I started on night of 24th December with a target date of 15 Jan as deadline before i shelve it.

24 years in IT we are taught good network cable has data consistency due to number of twist in the wire pair which is not the case with sd card module to pro mini.

Also compiled everything afresh as for strange reasons my ftdi was not uploading @ 38400 baud rate. Even used latest optiboot binaries.

As the saying goes all well that ends well.

Backup and restore working like a charm

Will upload the demo video soon.

My target is to build a 128 processor tx with voice & oled and keep it below 30 usd which was not possible without using serial interface and ersky 9x

Thanks to You, Mike and Reinhart for all the help.

I will create a detailed work instructions for it and upload if you permit.

regards
Amit
Last edited by fxshoppe on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Of course, that would be cool. :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
plastinaf

Post by plastinaf »

Hello
I have a Turnigy 9x whith M64 processor.
I have build the 2 boards of Arduvoice but not voice listening and BackLight stay always On.
Trim Ok, backup, Restore, Delete Ok Beep Ok but very low.
i don't know why no Voice.
Radio Setup / Audio Haptic" menu set the "Sound Mode" to "MegaSound" Ok
"M'Sound Serial" Mike said for M64 is compiled to the firmware.
Where you put the wav files in the SD card (Root, Folder or Sub folder) and what name for the wave file (00x.wav or Gear_up.wav)
Please it is possible to share the last combinedSerial or the last Amod_lastSer16.hex - 16MHz
Thanks for help
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

First of all, Voice pack. Follow the link, download and extract the voice files to the root directory of the SD Card. There is a doc file with the file list..

https://www.openrcforums.com/forum/view ... f=5&t=7717
plastinaf wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:09 pm
I have build the 2 boards of Arduvoice but not voice listening and BackLight stay always On.
Trim Ok, backup, Restore, Delete Ok Beep Ok but very low.
i don't know why no Voice.
If trim, backup and restore are working, it means that your module is working. Please check the backlight connections again.
Check connections to the SD CArd module as well, and place the voice pack I have linked above in the ROOT directory of the SD Card.

Radio Setup / Audio Haptic" menu set the "Sound Mode" to "MegaSound" Ok
"M'Sound Serial" Mike said for M64 is compiled to the firmware.
This looks correct to me..
Please it is possible to share the last combinedSerial or the last Amod_lastSer16.hex - 16MHz
I think Mike has all that on his Github page, but I don't have the link at the moment.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
plastinaf

Post by plastinaf »

Hy João
Thank you for your quick reply.

I uploaded the wav files from the link given to me on the root of the SD card, and now the voice works.
The sound volume is low and not very clear on the output of the amplifier.
If i solder the same speaker on pin 5 and Gnd directly to the arduino
the voice is clear but the sound volume is a little lower than amplifier output.
in radio setup General i put Volume Control to P1 but he not control all the voices.
example Timer Cont Down yes P1 control the volume but if i select a switch on Voice VA1 Filetype Number Voice File 150(Landin gear Up) P1 not control the volume idem for welcome Message on radio power ON.
it is not simple to affect a voice file by number because you must remember the numbers corresponding to the requested action.
i see your video to explain er9x New voice menus this one is verry simple to use but not in my firmware i have er9xProv822k --> er9x-frsky-sv.hex
because i have telemetry Mod may be the m64 not enough memory for this option.

for the backlight if ON is selected it stay allways ON i put nothing (---) and now works

Thank you so much João for your help now i am happy
plastinaf

Post by plastinaf »

Hy João

All works fine i just replace my old speaker for an other and now P1 control All voice volume.

Thank you
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Great.. Bad speakers can happen.. Or perhaps that one had a higher impedance, therefore the volume was lower??
Anyway, well done. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
plastinaf

Post by plastinaf »

Hy João
what is the last realise of the firmware for my old Th9x M64 moded to telemetry and arduvoice ? i use the JP4in1 module multiprotocol
i have flashded er9xProv822k --> er9x-frsky-sv.hex but it sem's to be a test firmware
how can i put my radio in maintenance mode to access extra switch ?
it is possible to play music whith my radio ?

regards
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The test version is stable, you can use it.
Your radio doesn't have maintenance mode, and can't also play music.
Those are features of Ersky9x that runs on more powerful hardware, not on the Atmega64 :)

You might be able to get two extra switches connected to your voice module.
Then you can configure them in the hardware menu.
To activate the Hardware menu, which is hidden for obvious reasons ;) turn your radio on while holding the left horizontal trim to the left, for about a second or two. Then the hardware menu will be available in "Radio Settings".

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
plastinaf

Post by plastinaf »

hi João
ok i anderstand.
In the Hardware menu i have just 2 lines:
BandGap (ticked) What is this ?
and TelemetrEZ>=r90 (ticked)
Nothing to configure extra switches.
regards
François
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have a MEGA64 processor, then there isn't space in the flash memory for the other hardware options. However, if you read the EEPROM using eepe, you will find the other hardware settings available if you edit the general settings.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
imhotep14

Post by imhotep14 »

Help me please! I'm two whole days trying to get this to work without success. My radio is a Turnigy 9x with M64 processor, no telemetry mod. I've read and reread this whole topic over and over and over. I happen to be able to back up and restore models via sd card after selecting megasound card from audioHaptic menu, but trim, voice and backlight don't work. I've checked all the connections at least once 10 times. The backlight stays on all the time even setting to turn off after for example 10 seconds. The trim does not work either, although probing the signals with the windows serial terminal, when pressing the trim the voice module sends signals via serial to the radio. Using the file posted by mikeb to test the out-of-radio voice module, the voice comes out and the back light flashes at intervals as expected. Please, I don't know what to do anymore ... Sorry for my English, I'm using a translator because I speak Portuguese from Brazil. After testing various firmware on the radio at the moment I am using the latest version mbtx5a - mbtx-sv svn (er9xv2-pjr822) mod: NT.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It looks like the voice module is not communicating with the radio. Perhaps you don't have a version of er9x installed that supports the ArduVoice module?
Please go to www.er9x.com and download the version called "er9x for M64-FrSky with serial voice)"

See if that works

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
imhotep14

Post by imhotep14 »

Dear João, after putting in the suggested firmware "er9x for M64-FrSky with serial voice" the result was initially the same. But I had the idea to turn off the module tx and voilà :shock: !! The voice, the backlight, and the trim began to work. I plug in the tx module again just for testing, and interestingly it kept working :? ... But as I said earlier I don't have telemetry MOD let alone the FRSKY tx module, just the original 9x turnigy tx module. With this "M64-FrSky sv" firmware the THR and AIL switches are triggered directly. Well, after this little success I tested other firmwares and the result is, that voice, trim and backlight work with any "M64 FRSKY sv " firmware, with other "M64 sv" firmware, only backup and restoring by sd card works , the rest don't. I think this could be a bug in the M64 SV firmware without telemetry, or baud rate problem, I'm confused.. . Any idea? I'm confused. :x
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think there is only one firmware for the m64 that was specially compiled for the serial voice module. Having a radio with voice that doesn't have telemetry wasn't very common..... until now. :)
I don't know, let's see what Mike says about it. perhaps if he has some time, he would be able to compile a special,version for you.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Without the code for telemetry included, the standard er9x (er9x.hex) has space for both serial and non-serial voice drivers and a menu item to select which to use.
Just flash er9x.hex to the radio, then power on holding the left horizontal trim to the left (to enable the hardware menu).
Navigate to the HARDWARE menu and set "M'Sound Serial" to ON.
You may need to cycle the power after that to get everything working, but I think it should just work.
Also check in the AudioHaptic menu that the "Sound Mode" is set to "Megasound".

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
imhotep14

Post by imhotep14 »

João.
So I guess got it wrong ! :x I thought all firmware marked SV would work with serial voice module, not just FRSKY SV :oops: . Let's see what Mike says, and if can shed some light on what happened. One more thing, the sd card reading and saving mode via eepe also doesn't work, even with the module off the radio. Just disconnected characters in read, and write sync error ... but for me this is not a big problem, I can take out the sd card and put in the computer. Anyway I'll expect some response from Mike about this. Thank you João!
imhotep14

Post by imhotep14 »

MikeB wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:24 pm Without the code for telemetry included, the standard er9x (er9x.hex) has space for both serial and non-serial voice drivers and a menu item to select which to use.
Just flash er9x.hex to the radio, then power on holding the left horizontal trim to the left (to enable the hardware menu).
Navigate to the HARDWARE menu and set "M'Sound Serial" to ON.
You may need to cycle the power after that to get everything working, but I think it should just work.
Also check in the AudioHaptic menu that the "Sound Mode" is set to "Megasound".

Mike
Mike, I did as suggested, but with all er9x.hex tested the item "M'Sound Serial" does not displayed in the hardware menu, only BandGap and switches options :| . I tested ER9X (revision 821), r822c, mbtx-sv, and all that I found available, but nowhere was this option displayed :cry: .. As I said earlier I have already selected "Megasound" from the AudioHaptic menu. Please read my previous post. Thank you! Sorry for my bad english :oops: .
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I was looking at the source code and missed that option is only shown for M128 and M2561 processors.
Flash er9x.hex to the radio, then using eepe read the EEPROM. In eepe edit the "General settings". On the SETUP tab, there is a tick box for "MegaSound Serial". Tick this box then write the EEPROM back to the radio.
The serial voice should then work.

To access the SD card from eepe, you need to stop the radio from using the serial connection to the sound board at the same time. To do this, power the radio on holding both horizontal trims held to the centre. The display should show "STOPPED", then eepe should be able to access the SD card.

My only radio with a M64 in at has the FrSky (telemetry mod) and a serial voice module so I cannot easily test or check your configuration.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
imhotep14

Post by imhotep14 »

MikeB wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:24 pm I was looking at the source code and missed that option is only shown for M128 and M2561 processors.
Flash er9x.hex to the radio, then using eepe read the EEPROM. In eepe edit the "General settings". On the SETUP tab, there is a tick box for "MegaSound Serial". Tick this box then write the EEPROM back to the radio.
The serial voice should then work.

To access the SD card from eepe, you need to stop the radio from using the serial connection to the sound board at the same time. To do this, power the radio on holding both horizontal trims held to the centre. The display should show "STOPPED", then eepe should be able to access the SD card.

My only radio with a M64 in at has the FrSky (telemetry mod) and a serial voice module so I cannot easily test or check your configuration.

Mike
Is alive :!: Beautiful to see and hear :lol: ! I did exactly as you said and it worked perfectly! Wow this tip could be fixed in the initial post. Thanks so much Mike :mrgreen: !!!
citfta

Post by citfta »

Hi Joao,

I have read over several pages of this thread. I believe I can pretty easily build the ArduVoice module as I have over 50 years experience in electronics. My question is how would I connect the module to my radio as I already have the SmartieParts board installed and a Sparkfun interface between my DHT module and the SmartieParts board? The SmartieParts board and Sparkfun interface for the telemetry are all working fine now so I really don't want to remove either of them.

Thanks for any info you can give me.
Carroll
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Did you read the first post? See the pictures. The module connects to the 9x processor pins 27 and 28. These are the throttle UP and DOWN trim switches. You will have to move the trims to the voice module board to be able to use the pins for the voice module's serial connection.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
citfta

Post by citfta »

I have read all of this thread a couple of times now. I now understand what you meant about connecting to pins 27 and 28. I have ordered the atmega board, the micro sd card reader and the FTDI usb to serial adapter. Now I need to see how much of the other parts I already have on hand in my electronic stuff. I will probably be back later with more questions after I get everything put together. Thanks for this project. Of all the ways I have looked at for adding voice to my 9x this seems by far to be the easiest. I have been retired from my electronics job for over 12 years so it took me a little while to figure out how you were connecting everything.

Carroll
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

This was done a while ago, but I will try my best to remember and help :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “er9x”