How to use er9X with/as a buddy box trainer

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Crashmaster3939

Post by Crashmaster3939 »

I am so frustrated. I upgraded & flashed er9X recently, got two models programmed with 3 position flaps & gear etc, but I can not find anything about how to hook up my other 9X as a buddy box. I was previously able to connect my two stock flysky 9Xs with trainer cable, but I can find zero info on how to do this in er9X. I wanted to let my son fly in trainer mode tomorrow morning, but now I may have to risk handing him the single transmitter. Do I need er9X firmware on both transmitters? PLEASE HELP!

I have...
1. One Turnigy with er9X as master/instructor
2. One Flysky 9X with stock firmware, I remove the module from this one to be slave.

I turned "on" the "trainer" function in setup menu, that did not do anything noticable

I tried adding a mix on CH11 with source CH11 , weight 100 and switch TRN as a hail mary, only because I cant find any other references to the trainer function in the software. Is is something to do with PPM? It seems like SO many people would need the buddy box feature that I can't believe in all my online searching I can find nothing about basic buddy box setup in er9X. I'll stop ranting now, and hope for help. Thanks in advance. Greg
Greg

cre8tiveleo

Re: How to use er9X with/as a buddy box trainer

Post by cre8tiveleo »

I use two of my 9x boxes for buddy boxin. One is a spektrum modded, the other is a stock box with the ppm fix. I use a Mono cable between the two.

This is how I do it. After setting the trainer function to on (I did both, that's just me), I set what the trainer/slave box can control. After that, just plug in the mono cable into the back of the slave, slave off, then plug in the cable to the master/teacher box with power on, and that's it. Should work.

I'll take pictures tomorrow at work of all this, unfortunately that's where my radios are right now, been doing some mods with camera control joysticks.

Is your Teacher/master box with the ppm fix? Both need it. (you can remove the module from the slave, but the master needs the fix too)
Crashmaster3939

Post by Crashmaster3939 »

Thanks for responding so quickly! I have several questions which will show my newb status.

1. What is the ppm fix? (I have not done this, I'll look it up) I knew there was a resitor to add or trace you can cut on the slave, but my slave flysky has a removable module, so I thought I did not need that. Buddy boxing worked when I had stock firmware on both xmitters and removed module from slave.
2. How do I "set what the trainer/slave box can control" ????? I can't find anything in the menus or the wiki manual about settings for trainer funtion. This may be my big problem. (edit: I just found the ppm settings info in the wiki manual, oops. :oops: I got it working, I did not have anything set in the ppm trainer settings. I forgot where those were, long-left-press :roll: Apparently I don't need the ppm fix. Wiki manual is pretty clear on ppm settings)

I did not know about importance of turning on master before plugging into the slave, I'll be sure to do that too.

Thanks for your help.

Greg
Last edited by Crashmaster3939 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

No worries, we're all still newbs in one way or another, we're all still learning. If one person says they know it all, well, they haven't talked to me yet.. bwwhaha.. no seriously, askign questions is the best way to learn.

1. PPM fix, you cut a trace, and install a resistor. You need it in both master and slave, as you know, removing the module is like the ppm fix. so that's okay.

lhttp://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/PPM_In_Fix_for_the_9x

I'm working from memory here... waiting for the search engine in my brain to find something...

There is a video I saw that went through the entire process, I've been searching for it. It was really good too, explained the ppm fix, and had to be done on both.. etc.etc...

still looking.. the interwebz is huge...
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

The trainer config should be in the main setup menu (long left)
Last edited by cre8tiveleo on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you remove the tx module from the student transmitter, it is my understanding that the 2 9xs will work in buddy box mode without any hardware mods.
To connect them, turn on the master systemm, then plug the mono jack plug into it. Now plug the other end of the jack plug into the student tx, this will turn power on to the student tx. Do not turn the power switch of the student tx on. The student tx knows it is the student because the power switch is off.
Now have a look here http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ide#PPM_In. Go to section 3.2 PPM IN. This is a general setup where you configure and calibrate the four stick student inputs. You can select which of the 4 main inputs are transferred to the student so you could allow, say, just rudder and elevator to be transferred. You can also scale the student inputs so the student only has, say, 30% of the normal full control. You may also allow the student full control, option :=, or add the student control in to the master, option +=. If you give the student only 30%, but added, you can use a switch like the gear switch to switch the student in permanently, but the master controls, still at 100% (or even 125%) still work so the master can override the student.
Note, er9x uses the raw inputs. Any expo, mixing, trims, servo reversing etc. are applied by er9x to both the master controls and the student inputs. The student tx only needs to be setup to provide the four stick outputs.
When all the above is done, go to the model setup (section 4.2 on the above page), go down to trainer option and enable it.

Now, there is a second way to do some of this, and is needed for channels other than the main 4 controls. Each mixer has a source. You may choose PPM1 through PPM8 as the source. These are the student input values. You could set a mix up like:
CH01: 100% AIL
Replace 100% PPM2 switch TRN

Channel 1 will now be set to output from the aileron stick on the master, but from the channel 2 from the student if you switch the TRN switch. This is less flexible than the previous method as you have to configure expo and mixing for the student inputs to match the master controls.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

On the slave unit, set the trainer off from the model setup menu.

Turn the slave/student unit off.

On the Master/Teacher unit, model setup, scroll down,

and set the trainer to on.

On the main setup menu (not the model setup), you can setup what the slave/student can/can't do.

Plug the cable into the slave/student box, the unit is OFF, it will power on when the cable gets plugged in,

and you should see this on the screen that used to have the trainer setup on. (main setup, not model setup)

Plug in the cable to the Master/Teacher box, the Master/Teacher unit is powered on,

and you will see this on the trainer setup screen still ,

***pictures are from my poopy android phone, pardon the quality***
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The "ppm" fix is only needed if the stock FlySky or Turnigy rf modules is used in the trainer TX. The original modules load the 9x PPM circuit too much to be able to drive two loads, the master and trainer. The load it always there if the modules are plugged in. The resistor raises the load impeadance so tne trainer module can stay in. Not needed if Frsky rf modules are used In the trainer TX.

If you've installed the HK Backlight and not done the jumper "fix" on the HK connector board, the circuit error will fource the TX to "not" put out a PPM signal no matter what you turn on in the 9X menu with or without the resistor 1K mod.
Question?
Do you have the HK backlight installed and is it unmodified?
SM
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ster/slave

under construction, redunancy rules 8-)
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

ShowMaster wrote:..If you've installed the HK Backlight and not done the jumper "fix" on the HK connector board, the circuit error will fource the TX to "not" put out a PPM signal no matter what you turn on in the 9X menu with or without the resistor 1K mod.
Question?
Do you have the HK backlight installed and is it unmodified?
SM

What's the jumper fix? All my 9x's have HK led backlights, and all have the ppm fix in the module, non have this jumper fix, and they all work in a buddy box situation. Just want to add it to the wiki too.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

It's been posted here and on  for sure RCG. Charles a member, found that the HK BL board is etched wrong and ties pin 3 to pin 5 as well as the 470 ohm resistor. This puts tx battery on pin 5 full time bossing off the PPM out transistor as I remember it. The fix it to cut the trace from pin 5 and jumper the resistor to pin 3. Now the BL still gets battery voltage but pin 5 only does when the menu tells it to.
A look at the schematic with this info will further explain west's going on. I'm on my iPod now but will post the link later.
A search here or on the 9x or Turnigy under $80 RCG in my posts should find the original discussion Charles and I had about this some time ago. I'll do the same. He posted a picture of the HK  connector board error and fix at well in the 9x RCG thread.
If I'm in error I would like to correct my info on this.
SM
Look up posts by Charles B in the 9x RCG and hopefully you'll find the original post and postures several posts later.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Update to BL jumper post
Charles b worte

Read post 12512
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st19777202

Pin 3 is the power ON switch to + battery connection. Should be battery voltage when the power switch is ON.

Pin 5 is the training plug has a plug in it switch. That connect the battery to pin 5. That Pin 5 is connected to the Q1 base via resistors. The output of Q1 collector tells the MPU that there is a plug in the training connector.

On HK.
If the board has that resistor going only to pin 5 then the backlight would only come on when there's a plug in the training. That's why they added the jumper to that board. Pin 5 should only have power if a plug is in training connector.

The problem With the jumper and with that resistor to pin5 is when you power up with the power switch and there is no plug into the training connector.
The unit thinks it's in Master training mode and it removes the out going PPM to the training connector and makes it an incoming PPM to receive the Slaves PPM.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Sooo... it's not really an issue , unless you want to send out a ppm signal without a trainer plug plugged in. As soon as you power up with a trainer plug plugged in , according to what was just posted, it will still work as intended. PPM in is active even without the jumper mod, unless you don't have a trainer plug plugged in, then it's in master mode, which doesn't matter. *my brain hurts now.. or at least the last cell*

:D

I'll have to rip mine apart and see what is with mine then. I didn't do any mods to the connectors, and they all work as Master or Slave. *shrugs*

I'll add this info into wiki as an fyi, incase things don't work, look into this if you have an hk bl. :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

After rereading my post I too am now confused? I believe that I tested this and I got no PPM out with the unmodified HK BL and using it as the slave untill I did the jumper mod. I have everything I need to try it all again and document the results, even a scope. I'll do this as soon as I get home tonight.
The bottom line that started this is weather he has a PPM out or not with his current setup.
The ppm can drive a computer speaker if no scope is handy to listen to it.
SM
Charles b is the guy to contact for details as well.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Charles b original post RCG Turnigy 9x #12455

Training plug hardware ?
We was trying to get a PPM output on the buddy box plug on the back the 9x.
There is a PPM signal at pin10 of the Mega64 and my receivers work .

The Sim_ctr pin 19 is at 5V all the time no matter how we setup the training
menu. If I shorted the base of Q1 to ground then I get the PPM on the Training connector.

We tried with the main power switch turned off or on it didn't matter.

Tonight we took the time and found our problem why no PPM at the training plug.

We had installed the HobbyKing Backlight on our unit. The so called plug and play.Turnigy 9X LCD Backlight Kit.

Here is what we found.
On backlikghts kit red wires goes to a connector that has heat shrink on it. If you remove heat shrink you'll see that it has a little jumper wire
on the circuit board to a resistor that connects to a red power wire going to the LED pannel.

That makes a short for pin 5 to pin 3 of that 6 pin connector.
With that short from the two pins you all ways have power on pin 5 .
I cut the PC board trace into from that connector pins 5 and that goes to the PC board resistor.
That side of that resistor is were the little jumper wire going to pin 3.
Pin 3 is battery power.
with that short That makes it so pin 5 can never go to zero volts. That in turn keeps Q1 on all the time.

No PPM can go to the training connector

If some one need a picture let me know .
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

subscribed
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Transcribed!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yu0zto
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

so has anyone decided if the stock HK BL causes a trainer PPM out issue?
I'm not sure what the subscribed and transcribed post mean?
I'll be trying to find out today if it's true to be factual.
SM
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

I wanted to watch the thread and didn't see a way to do that without posting something. so I subscribed to the thread. I just ordered my first HK BL and am curious of the outcome of all this.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

On tapatalk, just subscribe. Should be a thread subscribe somewhere, i think...

Transcribed... Aka adrian (me) being fasiciously funny, and not at the same time.

:D

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ktuk0o
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I just made the HK BL ppm test. I'm happy to report that a new stock BL installed does not kill the trainer ppm out when the TX is off and a trainer cable is plugged in. What does happen is the BL does not light unless the power switch is on and this is not done when it's a trainer TX.
I even reversed my mod to the BL I've been using and it still outputs ppm.
So until further investigation this myth is "busted"!
If we all agree I'll delete my posts on this. I'm going to contact the originator of all this with my findings and ask him to recheck his work as a courtesy.
SM
More
His post does say that in his case HK added a jumper that shorted pin 5 to pin 3. I reread it and realize that this is not the case with the white I order. The resistor only goes to pin 5, no connection to 3 at all. This can be confirmed with a ohm meter with the shrink on if you/we want to be sure it's OK.
He must have gotten an earlier version or a mfg mistake.
Whew, glad that's off the trouble list. Sorry for any bad info but now we know.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

YEAH!!! WOO!!!

And I thought I was crazy. I was wrong, I am crazy.

Thank you for clearing all that up.

Cheers.

*just as a note: If you look at the pictures I posted, you will see the trainer that has 'slave' on screen, has no back light... but before, when you change teh trainer option to off on the slave machine, the backlight is on... okay, that's it. thanks again.*
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Waitwaitwait...

I just went to tackle the trainer plug on mine a couple of hours ago. Was looking for the plug's pinout and ended on this thread (didn't find the info though).
I looked up the pinout by plugging a 4-ring jack and beeping the connections. So what we have is actually a stereo plug, but with one unused connection (all the references I found to the trainer cable mentioned mono indeed).
I was actually interested in the input for use with a head tracker, so I haven't checked the output so far. However I've noticed is that the PPM pin would just give a regulated 5V when the TX's switch was on. Sure enough I have an HK backlight, a white one I received last week. My HT wasn't working. I had the BL on when the TX's switch was on, and not when it was off (but the radio was on because of the cable plugged in).
I did the mod (cut trace to pin 5, add a bridge to pin 3) on the BL PCB, and now my BL is on whenever the TX is on, there's no more 5V on PPM out, and my headtracker worked straight away.

I haven't measured the PPM pin when the radio's switch is off and the cable is in before I did the mod (because I was interested in input mode = with switch on), but now I'd guess there's no 5V. In fact, I'd think that due to that wrong connection there's 5V on the PPM pin at anytime the BL is on.
So, while it might work for the student TX with the cable plugged and the power switch off, there's still something very wrong with the HK BL. The PPM input wouldn't be useable. So the fix would be a good idea in any case.

That, or HK have a mix of different BLs (maybe depending on color and batches?) and it's a lottery whether you'll get one that's OK. But I doubt that, as someone who reports PPM out works has the same no backlight oddity when the switch is off.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Another trainer update.
I think I have the external trainer PPM level changer circuit working. My first attempts using an npn and Gruvins circuit he posted as a 9x hack wouldn't work externally for me but did work internally? The answer FYI is to move the 150k from the base to ground to the base and +5v. I've fiddled with the values a little to make the scope happy. 
My goal was/is to use a Spektrum and JR radios as trainers to my 9x since I own them and they are popular at the field.
The lower 2v ptp ppm out won't drive the stock 9x. The 9x wants to see 5v ptp as mentioned in my other posts. My testing so far with the 9x as a trainer to the other brands has been OK so I guess they don't mind the5v ptp ppm input.
It seems the 9x polarity ppm out is OK with my Spektrum. Im not inverting anything yet so I'll see what happens. Power will be decided to give me 5 volts and long battery life in a small box. 
Over all adding the small level changer circuit in my 9Xs will be the most efficient. My circuit is for those that are using the 9x with other brand radios and don't want to mod it.
I'll post the final working circuit after I've flown it and feel safe with it.
SM
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Can you do a wiki?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

A wiki for which?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xk0pen
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

A wiki for here level convertor showmaster is making :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah,
What color HK BL are you using? All my tests this week were white several month to several weeks ordered. Maybe Charles b posted his original fix with another color and did find a fix? My white ones with pin 5 or pin 3 connected to the resistor, not both, only come on when the 9x power switch is on and stay off when powered up because of a trainer cable plugged in. Interesting about you finding a stereo jack not a mono. I have my first year old Turnigy TX open so I'll check it all out, BL again and trainer contacts.
Please everyone, if you post any issues with ppm out or backlight, post the color, when you bought it, and if it's still stock so we can see what's king on if anything.
Stereo or mono cable being used and if it works with other TXs as a master or a trainer ir both.
For me
White HK BL with pin 5 only to resistor. I do have the fet switch mod installed.
BL on with TX, off as trainer. With or without the fet switch mod installed.
Mono cable used
Works as a trainer to my dx7 but not as a master. Channel order wrong but can be fixed in 9x mixes.
Will no work as a master stock with a JR or dx7 as the trainer TX.
I use Frsky DJT module and do have the 1k resistor ppm mod but I'm told mod only needed for stock 9x module, TBD?
After adding the 1 transistor internal ppm level changer (gruvins) in the 4066 ic circuit I can use most TX's as a trainer to the 9X now.
Not a simple fix for man but worthwhile if you're up to it.
SM
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ShowMaster wrote:Kilrah,
What color HK BL are you using?
White.
ShowMaster wrote:My white ones with pin 5 or pin 3 connected to the resistor, not both
Only pin 5 was connected on mine. I cut the trace and connected pin 3.
ShowMaster wrote:only come on when the 9x power switch is on and stay off when powered up because of a trainer cable plugged in.
Same for me.
ShowMaster wrote:Interesting about you finding a stereo jack not a mono.
The transmitter's jack is indeed stereo, but with one unused contact. Using a stereo or mono cable won't make a difference.

I actually took the opportunity to use it and wired switched battery power to it, taken from the module's connection:

This way I can directly plug in my video goggles, actually powering them while using their integrated head tracker. It's best to insert/remove the plug with the power switch off so that no power is applied, as jacks tend to to little shorts between the contacts. Obviously, never plug a mono jack in the TX and turn the power switch on again once this is done, or you'll be shorting the battery.
ShowMaster wrote:Please everyone, if you post any issues with ppm out or backlight, post the color, when you bought it, and if it's still stock so we can see what's king on if anything.
Unfortunately I read this thread in detail only after I modded my HK BL PCB, so I didn't do good observations before. And I'm not really motivated to reopen the TX, undo the mod and check :D
My 9X now works perfectly as a master with 2 different head trackers, my Futaba TX, and an FrSky D4FR in PPM mode (kind of wireless trainer setup). As slave it gives out a nice and clean 0-5V PPM.

What I'm sure of is that with pin 5 there's no BL if the radio is on only because a trainer cable is in. Even if that's actually the only difference and everything works otherwise, I'd still find it worth changing to pin3 - what's the point of having a BL if it's not on...
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

ShowMaster wrote:Another trainer update...
I'll post the final working circuit after I've flown it and feel safe with it.
SM

Post it, post it, i want to use my android or Itouch as a slave box... :D

No seriously, I want to test the ppm out of those apps to see if they work. Is it the gruvin fix? (I think I read that)

Cheers!

Return to “er9x”