Turnigy 9XR (not PRO) + FRsky R9M HELP!

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
caf1971

Turnigy 9XR (not PRO) + FRsky R9M HELP!

Post by caf1971 »

hi, i download and load the firmware and i see this in version windows:
VERS: V1.
DATE: 30.07.2019
TIME :13:13:10
SVN: er9x-pkr822
MOD:

Anyone can help me please. ?

Thx

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Turnigy 9XR (not PRO) + FRsky R9M HELP!

Post by MikeB »

You need a more recent test version (latest is currently pur822), from the er9x, test versions thread.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
caf1971

Post by caf1971 »

Thx MikeB,

https://openrcforums.com/forum/download ... p?id=19773

This version work fine with my setup?
inside the ZIP , have somes files wich one i need? my chip is a ATMEGA128A,

Thx again ( sorry for my english , i speak spanish)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For the ATMEGA128A, use er9x-128.hex.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
caf1971

Post by caf1971 »

i put er9x-128.hex but send me error and the radio is frozzen (not turn on)
now i put er9x.hex and the RX work again.
My version screen say :
VERS: V1.
DATE 19.08.2020
TIME: 22:11:15
SVN: er9x-pur822

In protocol setup , i can put XJT, but in TYPE only have: D16 / D8 / LRP (what it this) and dont have r9m option.
Chans 16
Country Ame ( my version es 915 Mhz)
Inside my Turnigy 9XR (Stock)
Inside my Turnigy 9XR (Stock)
Thx Again.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you flashed er8x-128.hex, what was the error you got?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
caf1971

Post by caf1971 »

Hi ,i again:
Error when try with ATM version
er8x-128 error.jpg
and with the other version.
er8x- stock.jpg
IMG_20200828_191928.jpg
IMG_20200828_191932.jpg
IMG_20200828_191936.jpg
IMG_20200828_191942.jpg
the Module dont turn on the light and dont bind

Thx
Attachments
IMG_20200828_192013.jpg
IMG_20200828_191837.jpg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Since the .hex file does not have any data for the EEPROM memory in it, I do not understand why your programmer is reporting the file is too large for the EEPROM memory, not the FLASH memory. Maybe the error message should say "FLASH" memory!
Is there a setting in your programmer to select the '128 processor instead of the '64 processor?
Is there a setting in your programmer to only program the flash memory, not the EEPROM memory?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MysteriousWolf

Post by MysteriousWolf »

I have a similair issue and this is the AVRDUDE output I'm getting:

=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbtiny -p m128 -P usb -U flash:w:E:/PATH_TO_FILES/er9x-128.hex:i
=================================================================================

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9702
avrdude.exe: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: reading input file "E:/PATH_TO_FILES/er9x-128.hex"
avrdude.exe: writing flash (131070 bytes):

Writing | ###############################
avrdude.exe: error: usbtiny_send: libusb0-dll:err [control_msg] sending control message failed, win error: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

(expected 128, got -116)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Does this always stop at the same point (same number of "#" characters)?
I'm wondering if this is a problem with the usbtiny. The hex file contains both the main program and a bootloader, with a gap between them. It looks to me as though it is writing the main program (a bit over half the flash memory), then failing to jump to near the end of the flash memory to write the bootloader.
Does the radio actually operate after this flash attempt?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MysteriousWolf

Post by MysteriousWolf »

Yes, it always stops at pretty much the same point (at the same bit write attempt and always returns -116). As for the radio turning on, no, it just prints random dots on the LCD and beeps randomly and sometimes doesn't even turn on. Also after this, all the flash attempts fail, so I needed to do a manual full erase from the AvrDude console and after that, I successfully loaded OpenTX (which looks like it doesn't support anything other than PPM, PPM16 and PPMsim). I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with the usbtiny (not the exact programmer, but one based on it: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825), however, OpenTX always flashes successfully. To make sure it works, I also cleared the flash and read it into a file and it was all ones. I also tried programming a random Arduino UNO with it and the blink flashed successfully, so I'm not really sure what could be wrong.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I've posted a version er9x-128 that doesn't have the bootloader included, so no gap in the flash memory image.
Please try flashing that.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Are you using companion to flash Er9x?
I think you should use Eepe instead. Get it here:

www.er9x.com

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MysteriousWolf

Post by MysteriousWolf »

jhsa wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:34 pm Are you using companion to flash Er9x?
I think you should use Eepe instead. Get it here:

www.er9x.com

João
Tried both, didn't work with either one of them. I'm in the process of uploading the version stripped of the bootloader posted by MikeB on the tx and will report asap.
MikeB wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:01 pm OK, I've posted a version er9x-128 that doesn't have the bootloader included, so no gap in the flash memory image.
Please try flashing that.

Mike
The flashing part worked, however verifying failed on a seemingly random bit. After the radio restarted I successfully booted into the provided er9x, however, every switch/pot/gimbal except the ones used to traverse menus don't seem to be working anymore. If there is any other information that could help solve this I'll try to supply it asap.
Last edited by MysteriousWolf on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For the pots and gimbals, have you run calibration?
For the switches and trims, please navigate to the "DiagSwtch" menu and see if they are responding there.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MysteriousWolf

Post by MysteriousWolf »

MikeB wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:19 pm For the pots and gimbals, have you run calibration?
For the switches and trims, please navigate to the "DiagSwtch" menu and see if they are responding there.

Mike
After restarting the radio today they seem to have started working. I tried calibration yesterday without success, but now everything seems to be working. The R9M module just shipped and should arrive within 2 weeks, and I'll report if everything works here. As for the potential future updates, how would I go around updating the image since the bootloader segment at the end seems to cause errors? Do you think a different programmer could help? Maybe if I make one with the UNO I have and using the Arduino ISP programmer template it could work? Or do you think this is an unrelated issue?

Either way, thank you for your dedication to this project and all the provided help. It means a lot that you basically give a second life to older TXs like the 9XR, all pretty much for free :D
MysteriousWolf

Post by MysteriousWolf »

So I just received the module and started testing the combo, but no options seem to do anything for the module (tried binding and range check, which should be indicated by green/red flashing lights), only the red light is on on the module and the green light flashes once when I turn the tx on. The same happens when I have a PPM model active. I might have the settings messed up, so this is what I have on the protocol page:

Protocol 1st Chan 1
Proto XJT RxNum 0
Type R9M Power 25-8
Chans 16 Flex OFF
Failsafe (Not Set)
Country EUR

I am from EU, so I have the EU LBT module. Any ideas on how to get this to work?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is the module the (older) ACCST version or the newer (2019) ACCESS version (which has 2019 printed on it)?
If it is the 2019 version, then you will need to flash it with ACCST firmware.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MysteriousWolf

Post by MysteriousWolf »

MikeB wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:20 am Is the module the (older) ACCST version or the newer (2019) ACCESS version (which has 2019 printed on it)?
If it is the 2019 version, then you will need to flash it with ACCST firmware.

Mike
Yes, I bought the 2019 version (R9M and R9MM combo). Looks like I can get both ACCESS and ACCST firmware on their website, so I'm cool with doing that.
So I found their STK, but there are 2 versions of it, which one is suitable for updating using a USB serial interface (I have one with a rs232 connector laying around from a CISCO router, should be good). Also for the R9MM, there are 2 LBT firmwares, one has something like FPort next to its name, so I'm not sure which one is the right one there as well. :?

Thank you in advance.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You don't want FPort! That is an enhanced SPort.
The STK device is USB at one end and SPort connections at the other. SPort is a one wire, 5V, serial signaling system, so a "normal" USB to serial adapter doesn't work. I wasn't aware there was more than one version of the STK!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MysteriousWolf

Post by MysteriousWolf »

MikeB wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:07 pm You don't want FPort! That is an enhanced SPort.
The STK device is USB at one end and SPort connections at the other. SPort is a one wire, 5V, serial signaling system, so a "normal" USB to serial adapter doesn't work. I wasn't aware there was more than one version of the STK!

Mike
Do I need to buy the FrSky's adapter or can it be done using an Arduino or something?

I also found this tutorial on how to flash your receiver using the FC. Do you think this could be used to flash the module as well?
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzf-EuQZYsE
MysteriousWolf

Post by MysteriousWolf »

Okay, so I managed to flash the R9 MM using that exact method, but then I needed to invert the uart in order for it to support the module that doesn't have the uninverted S.Port. I tried using the F4's softserial, but it looks like you cannot update firmware through it.

At this point I'm starting to give up a little because I tried multiple UART inverter circuits and none of them seem to work. The module still seems to react the same when powered on, so I hope I didn't fry anything yet (never used any logic levels over 5V so I think I should be fine). The obvious choice at this point would be to just buy the STK and hope that everything still works.

The other option would be to buy a transmitter that allows updating external modules, which would be the FrSky's or the Radiomaster t16s that I wanted to buy at some point in the future anyways. The one thing I'm not sure about is whether the OpenTx version on the Radiomaster supports updating external modules. Would you happen to know anything about that?

One of the inverter circuits I tried: https://quadmeup.com/hardware-smartport ... ansistors/
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't like the resistor values being used in that circuit. I would suggest the 47K from the TX signal should be 4K7, the 100K to the base of the other transistor should also be 4K7, and the 33K probably reduced to 2K2, although 4K7 will likely be OK there.
Bipolar transistors have a small capacitance between the base and the emitter, and this needs to be discharged in order for them to turn off. If the resistor in the base circuit is too large in value, this takes too long and the whole circuit won't switch quickly enough for reliable operation.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “er9x”