Turnigy 9x and the multi-protocol module - some queries ...

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Taipan

Turnigy 9x and the multi-protocol module - some queries ...

Post by Taipan »

I have an original Turnigy 9X with the M64 processor. It has er9x ver pkr822 (30-07-2019) installed and I am using eePe version p423 (24-07-2019).

I have just fitted an IRANGE X Plus multiprotocol module, connected using serial mode. I have updated the firmware to ver 1.3.0.53 (12-01-2020) using multi-stm-ppm-aetr-noinv-v1.3.0.53.bin.

1 - I assume that this is the correct MP module firmware for a Turnigy 9X running er9x?

2 – I notice that when I select, for example, AFHDS2 in the model setup screen on the 9X and then later import the models into eePe there is nothing listed in the “subprotocol” fields. I think it should list 28 for FlySky AFHDS2?

Similarly, if I setup a model using eePe and choose AFHDS2 (subprotocol 28) it will be listed as Q2X2 when I disconnect and view the model setup in the 9X screen.

2.1 - This is not a big deal, but is it a bug in eePe, or do I have the wrong firmware on the IRANGE X Plus multiprotocol module?

2.2 - And, when I select AFHDS2 in the 9X model setup screen, I can then only select PWMIBUS. I thought I should also be able to also select PPM_IBUS, PWM_SBUS, or PPM_SBUS?

3 – AFHD2S receivers like the FS-iA10B have telemetry. I assume that if I make the required changes to my 9X, I will be able to view telemetry values on the M64 9X screen?

4 - The information about how to modify the 9X to enable telemetry that is linked here takes me to Oscar Liang's article here.

But, I think that the instructions in that article are incorrect.

Oscar states that pin 5 of the MP module should be connected to pin 3 of the M64, which is the Tx pin.

However, I think that pin 5 of the MP module should be connected to pin 2 of the M64, which is the Rx pin. Am I correct?

Once I get telemetry working, I plan to do the following upgrades:

ArduVoice module
MCU control of LED backlight
Haptic feedback

I have found all the instructions for the ArduVoice module and for the MCU control of LED backlight, but I cannot find the instructions for adding haptic feedback to a 9X with the stock PCB.

5 - Could somebody please point me to the haptic instructions?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Turnigy 9x and the multi-protocol module - some queries ...

Post by MikeB »

I'll get my M64 radio out and see what is happening with eepe. er9x should be able to select anything for the multi protocol module, but some thing may need to use numbers rather than names. The M64 is rather short on flash space to store all the names, although I thought I had most of them in. I see I have more recent firmware on my M64, partly due to trying to save some flash space, but I may have updated the multi test as I can select 4 sub-protocols by name under AFHDS2A.

I don't think the M64 version supports the AFHDS2A telemetry, I may not have that in for the M128 or M2561 processors. I don't think there will be enough flash space in the M64 version to add it either, I will take a look however.

You are correct that the Rx signal from the telemetry should go to pin 2 of the processor.

1. Yes, that is fine.
2.1. The protocol numbers are fixed, so do not depend on the firmware installed.

You could consider replacing the processor with a M128 or a M2561.

I'll get back when I've done some more testing.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Thanks Mike ... :) I appreciate your prompt reply.

I have installed the updated eePe.exe and it has resolved the sub-protocol issues.

For the telemetry functionality, it looks like I need to upgrade the processor, as you suggest. I have never replaced an SMD like the M64, so I am about to learn a new skill.

Thanks again for all your help.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

To desolder the old chip I used "ChipQuik".
It is a low temperature alloy that mixes with the solder and keep it molten for a longer time. The chip will just come out without harming the PCB.
It is quite expensive though but it will last long.

A good soldering iron with temperature regulation, desoldering braid, a good magnifier lens or reading glasses, and a lot of calm and patience are the other tools you will need :D

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Thanks for the advice João ... ;)

I particularly like this bit "a lot of calm and patience are the other tools you will need". Luckily, I have those two tools in abundance. And I have the other tools, plus many, many years of soldering experience. So I am prepared to give it a crack, as us Aussies say ... :lol:

BTW, can you help me with this query from the first post:

5 - Could somebody please point me to the haptic instructions for a Turnigy 9X M64?

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That was on the wiki that is no long available :(
I am not sure, but I think haptic connects to pin 43 of the Atmega chip. I will have a look later when I turn my computer ON.
Also you can probably use the same circuit I have used when installing haptic on my other boards. Will post the link also. Please reming me if I forget it. Been really busy later. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, for the haptic circuit please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7987

Scroll down the first post..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

That link shows the haptic circuit connected to the 9Xtreme board's Expansion Grid pin 12. I assume that, since I don't have a 9Xtreme board, I connect that same point to pin 43 of the Atmega chip instead?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes. But please let someone else confirm that pin 43 is the correct one as I am not 100% sure..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
miklelv

Post by miklelv »

Hi. Multimodule Jp4In1-se work with er9x ver pkr822 (30-07-2019) ? I have this module flashing red and can't find the signal from the transmitter.
Which firmware of the multimodule Jp4In1 was the pkr822 version tested with ?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I recommend that you flash the latest version of Multi-protocol module from here.

I flashed multi-stm-ppm-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin, but I think that I should have flashed multi-stm-erskytx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin for the Turnigy 9x running er9x, which I am off to do now ...

Here is the information about the LEDs.
miklelv

Post by miklelv »

Well, it's just not clear what to flash and what changes it works with.

Simply i woud like to run on Tutingy 9x(m64 stock) miltiprotocol module jp41in1-se(only serial mode)

Transmitter - Which file ? (er9x.hex, er9x-frsky.hex)
TX module jp41in1-se ? (multi-stm-ppm, multi-stm-erskytx,multi-stm-opentx) Invert or not ?
Turingy 9x(m64) need frsky mod or not ? In serial mode need pin5(turingy board) connected to m64 chip ?
Or ony one pin1(turingy board) needed ?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yes, I found it somewhat confusing, too. That is why I started this thread to make sure that what I had done was correct, even though I found some issues.

Anyway, I have a Turnigy 9x M64 and this is what I have done and it seems to be working fine:

On the Turnigy 9x M64 I have flashed er9x ver pkr822 (30-07-2019) from here.

On the IRANGE X Plus multiprotocol module I have flashed multi-stm-erskytx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin from here. On that page you can set a filter to find the exact firmware file you need for your hardware.

For your JP4in1-se, this is what you will see:
Multi-module.png
which suggests that you can flash the same firmware as I have flashed - multi-stm-erskytx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin.

I assume that you are aware of the Muti-module documentation page?

On my Windows 10 PC, I have installed the latest eePe update (Feb 2020) from here.

I have not done any other mods to the hardware, so I don't think that you need to do any of these:
miklelv wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:57 pm Turingy 9x(m64) need frsky mod or not ? In serial mode need pin5(turingy board) connected to m64 chip ?
Or ony one pin1(turingy board) needed ?
I hope that helps?
Last edited by Taipan on Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miklelv

Post by miklelv »

Hi.
IRANGE X Plus works in serial mode on er9x ?
The rotary knob must be in the zero position.
The red indicator on the module does not blink when the MULTI mode menu is selected ?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

miklelv wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:48 pm IRANGE X Plus works in serial mode on er9x ?
Yes ... :)
miklelv wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:48 pmThe rotary knob must be in the zero position.
Yes ... :)
miklelv wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:48 pmThe red indicator on the module does not blink when the MULTI mode menu is selected ?
Yes ... :D
miklelv

Post by miklelv »

Very interesting. It turns out that the Jp4In1-se module is not compatible with er9x firmware. Although the hardware differences are minimal for these modules. Can you take a picture of your module, preferably with the internal Board on both sides.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

miklelv wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:05 pm It turns out that the Jp4In1-se module is not compatible with er9x firmware.
In what way is it not compatible with er9x? Can you give specific examples?
miklelv wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:05 pm Can you take a picture of your module, preferably with the internal Board on both sides.
Do you want me to open the module and photograph the PCB?
Why?
miklelv

Post by miklelv »

My module blinks red every 0.5 seconds. Photo at least external, if you can not take a picture of the Board inside.
20200221_013038.jpg
20200221_013024.jpg
20200217_223149.jpg
20200217_223244.jpg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Flash "multi-stm-erskytx-aetr-noinv-v1.3.0.53.bin" to the module.
Go here: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598 and download "er9xProv822m.zip".
Initially, extract er9x.hex from this .zip file and flash it to the radio.
Test to see if the module works with that combination.

Have you done any mods to the radio?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
miklelv

Post by miklelv »

It's working ! A modification was made for the trainer to work on the Jack connector. The 4.7 k resistor lowered the signal level and the module flashed red. Removing the resistor fixed everything. Thanks a lot.

9x Trainer mod done.jpg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Trainer should work with er9x without any mods.
Do you want telemetry from the multiprotocol module? If so, you need to do mod to get this connected.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
miklelv

Post by miklelv »

The resistor was installed a long time ago to work on the native Turingy firmware. I don't need telemetry yet, I don't have a receiver for it.
phos

Post by phos »

Thanks to all in this thread. I am another one who has recently dusted off my old 9x and have replaced the old DJT module with a new multiprotocol module.

I bought the Radioboss JP4in1 which looks exactly the same as the Jumper unit. I must say build quality is not the best with this unit but I finally have it (mostly) working. Out of the box it didn't seem to have an appropriate bootloader so after installing a jumper on BOOT0 I have now updated to multi-stm-erskytx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin as recommended. The connector for the 5 pin module bay header had appalling solder joints that fractured and caused me all sorts of intermittent connection issues until I discovered it but that is sorted now too.

My 9x had previously been modified for FrSky telemetry so I am running the er9x-frsky build 822n. The only thing not currently working is the telemetry display. I have a FrSky R-XSR connected to an Omnibus F4 V3 and it is otherwise working fine but there is no RSSI telemetry display on the 9x (I'm not using any other sensors) using protocol 15 sub-proto 0. I have connnected the module bay pin 5 to the m64 pin 2 (Rx) as described above, but no dice so far. The track to pin 5 is definitely severed so electrically it looks fine. At this stage I haven't had time to really dig into it but I'm assuming there may be a problem with the module. Any advice on things I might have missed would be appreciated.

I've ordered a couple of m2561 micros to replace the m64 so when they arrive I'll change it over and look a bit harder at the telemetry problem. For those who've done this, I'm assuming I can update the fuses after soldering in - it looks like the default fuse settings use the internal RC oscillator so the ISP should work, even with the 9x crystal connected?

Taipan, keep us posted with your progress with the other mods. It seems there's very little happening with these radios any more as most who have them are happily using them in whatever state they got to mod wise. With the wiki now down it's nice to see there are still a few people offering support. Big thanks to Mike and jhsa.

Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have the bottom pin of the module connector connected directly to the M64 (no inverter circuit), then you need the 4-in-1 module flashed with "no-inv" firmware.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
phos

Post by phos »

MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:44 pm If you have the bottom pin of the module connector connected directly to the M64 (no inverter circuit), then you need the 4-in-1 module flashed with "no-inv" firmware.

Mike
That solved it, thanks Mike.

Phil
ncoy

Post by ncoy »

miklelv wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:18 pm It's working ! A modification was made for the trainer to work on the Jack connector. The 4.7 k resistor lowered the signal level and the module flashed red. Removing the resistor fixed everything. Thanks a lot.

9x Trainer mod done.jpg
I'm using mcu m64 ,and it looks like yours. but i have a red light problem flashing every 0.5s on my jp 4in1.

Return to “er9x”