Trainer/Student (Buddy Flying) Advanced Settings

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
ChrisOhara

Trainer/Student (Buddy Flying) Advanced Settings

Post by ChrisOhara »

Hi

we intend to offer more Buddy Flying in our club.
So I did some research on existing methods and put some work in testing different settings for OpenTX (or EdgeTx).
The result is a paper with three different types of settings.

Whats new:

They share in common that all settings (including calibration) are stored in the model definition (and not in the basic trainer settings of the radio)
So it is very easy and fast to switch from one student radio to another and also to adapt to a new student radio.
You do not touch the normal mixers of an existing model so no big risk of messing something up.
90% of the programming is "copy and paste" from one model to the other.

Using LUA:
I've done some LUA script to do all the programming and settings.
Contends: creating logical switches, creating mixers, modify input sources
There are also four scripts to calibrate the students sticks. (channel-mapping, weight and offset are written to mixer)
Cause it's using "magic numbers" it does not work for every hardware.
(at the moment: all Frsky radios with OpenTx should be supported)
There's also the bin file of a model and a script to make it easy to find out how to do for other radios.

Please read "readme.txt" and "Trainer-Student-Engish.pdf" for details.

I would appreciate every feedback or good idea (even it there is a problem I haven't thought of)

Regards ChrisOHara
Attachments
trainer.zip
(991.3 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Trainer-Student-Engish.pdf
(507.77 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

ChrisOhara

Re: Trainer/Student (Buddy Flying) Advanced Settings

Post by ChrisOhara »

This new version of scripts has no new functionality.
It was done for program optimization.

It should run now on all Radios with OpenTX that are accessible in Companion 2.3.15.

Additionally it should also run on all Radios with EdgeTX version 2.6.0 or higher.
Attachments
trainer-2.zip
(990.21 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
ChrisOhara

Re: Trainer/Student (Buddy Flying) Advanced Settings

Post by ChrisOhara »

Hello

After one complete season (2 trainers, 5 students, 5 planes) I've finally worked out my favorite version and have done a new lua script.
It is a mix of two of the old versions.
The control of rudders is switched from student to trainer when one of the sticks (ail, ele, rud) is moved.
Control of throttle is handled separately. (Throttle for student when trainer stick is at minimum position.)
There's also a simple way to switch throttle to trainer completely.
And there's a lua script that writes a new lua script to save and recover the calibration of the student radio.
So it's possible to cover different student radios and throttle ON/OFF with a single model.

Please read "readme.txt" and "Trainer-Student-Shortversion-English 2023-10-08" for details.

I appreciate every feedback or good idea (even if there is a problem I haven't thought of)

Regards ChrisOHara
Attachments
Trainer-Student-Shortversion-English 2023-10-08.pdf
(530.12 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
trainer V14.zip
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 11 times

Return to “openTx”