Displaying Text From Arduino on OpenTX Transmitter Screen

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
cchobbyfun

Displaying Text From Arduino on OpenTX Transmitter Screen

Post by cchobbyfun »

TLDR version: How do I display the content (text) of a variable from an Arduino on the screen of a Jumper T18?

I'm working on a Knight Rider RC car project. The idea is to have the Jumper T18 control an Arduino in the car and trigger it to play different sounds. I'm using the Servo Input Library to successfully read the state of my TX switches. I use the state changes to trigger a DFPlayer Mini to play sounds. There are about 10 sounds that can be selected. I use one switch to scroll through the list and the momentary switch to trigger playback. What I would like is to have the text of the current selection , say "Turbo Boost" display on the TX screen. So as you press the one switch to scroll through the list the display would change to show the sound clip you have selected. I think this can be done by connecting the Arduino to the Sport on a Frsky receiver. I'm not clear on if I can have a direct UART connection from the Arduino to the Sport or if I need an UART to Sport converter.

I also don't have any Lua Script experience. I see that there is a sportTelemetryPop function that reads data from the Sport. Would that be used to pull the data of the variable?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Return to “openTx”