Companion / standalone TX simulator

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
mha

Companion / standalone TX simulator

Post by mha »

Hi,

I have Companion 2.3.14 installed. With the installation comes a standalone Firmware Simulator 2.3. Opening the Firmware simulator with the file box checked and feeding it an .otx file and a path to a SD structure a radio just like the one you get in Companion after pressing simulate comes up.

Checking the firmware version (SYS/About) it shows the released version 2.3.14. I was wondering if and how it is possible to have different firmware versions on this virtual radio. Would be nice to load and play with private build on the virtual radio.

There doesn't seem a lot of documentation on the Firmware Simulator at all. Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Michael

Kilrah

Re: Companion / standalone TX simulator

Post by Kilrah »

Just install the matching version of companion.
mha

Post by mha »

Ok, thanks, I think I get it. Companion and the radio simulator don't really include and interpret the radio firmware.bin but are built including the radio firmware sources. So for playing with modified radio firmware I'd have to build Companion with the modified radio firmware source code. Am I right?

I think I was a bit out of whack thinking the simulator had some sort of STM32 emulation built in.
mha

Post by mha »

Just tried compiling Companion using modified radio sources is the way to get your private firmware build into the simulator.

For anyone as new as me: How to set up the build environment for openTX firmware and Companion under Windows is well described in the OpenTx Wiki (https://github.com/opentx/opentx/wiki/O ... structions).

One minor point though. Wiki says for the QT portion:

Code: Select all

2. Install Qt, including the Visual Studio tools and MinGW
    Download the Qt Online Installer from https://www.qt.io/download-qt-installer
    De-select all components
    Expand the latest version (the top item) and select MSVC 2019 32-bit
    Expand Developer and Designer Tools and select MinGW 8.1.0 32-bit
    Click Next to install the selected tools
I guess the top item at the time of writing was version 5.15.2. Now there are higher QT versions available but they don't offer 32Bit versions of the tools anymore. Just select 5.15.2 and not the latest version. Maybe someone knowing can confirm this and maybe update the Wiki.

Return to “openTx”