Looking for help with fixing/improving Trainer/Student behaviour.

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
Jthornton

Looking for help with fixing/improving Trainer/Student behaviour.

Post by Jthornton »

I'm trying to create some logical switches and special functions to change the behaviour of the Trainer/Student mode. Currently, I have two choices:

1. Trainer has control at the same time as student. I think this is dangerous.

2. Trainer has control OR student has control but the switch was to be turned off for the trainer to take control again.

I would like to replicate the Spektrum handles this. The switch is in, the student has control but as soon as the trainer touches the sticks, the student loses control until the switch is cycled off and back on.

I don't want to use the momentary switch as I have that setup for panic mode.

I've got the logic and switch working correctly. For example:

L01: |a|>x Sticks/Ail 1 AND SE(down)

This successfully activates when the aileron is moved more than 1 position. It works well, except that the system can't "see" the difference between Trainer sticks and the student sticks.

For obvious reasons, I only want to cancel the trainer mode when the TRAINER sticks are touched and now the student sticks.

Any ideas?

ReSt

Re: Looking for help with fixing/improving Trainer/Student behaviour.

Post by ReSt »

Have a look here for a possible way (done with ER9x/Ersky9x, but should be possible with opentx also)
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=13313&p=153616#p153613

Reinhard
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

I use this system for training, plus I also have a switch so that the student only has control of aileron and elevator as an alternative to full control. To give control, I use one of my two momentary switches. I find the momentary switches really useful with OpenTX for a variety of applications, and thus I replaced one of my 2 position switches with a second momentary switch.
Jthornton

Can't get Trainer switchless system working

Post by Jthornton »

I'm trying to get an auto-takeback function working with OpenTX 2.3.14-otx.

I've tried setting up logical switches to override the trainer switch (or just use a logical switch to turn on/off trainer mode). I can get it to kind-of work, but I can't get the radio to tell the difference between the MASTER and STUDENT radio/sticks.

For example, I have tried the following:

AETR setup.

MIXES:
CH 9: Ail 100%
+= TR1 -100%

LOGICAL SWITCHES:
L01: |a|>x CH9 20

So... The expected behaviour for this is that CHANNEL 9 will calculate the difference between Ail (Ch1) and TR1 (Student Ail). When the difference is more than the absolute value of 20 that the L01 will TURN ON.

TRAINER SETUP:
Ail += -100% CH1

I need the -100% to match the direction for the aileron, so that is fine, but with this setting the system correctly calculates the difference between the master sticks & student sticks. However, the problem with this is that L01 fires as TRUE regardless of whether the MASTER sticks are moved or the STUDENT sticks are moved. For example, the master sticks can stay at 0 and the trainer moves to -20 (or +20) and then L01 fires TRUE. Obviously, this is not what I want to happen.

I need to figure out how to differentiate between the master sticks and student sticks. Can someone please advise?
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

At least for ER9x/Ersky9x (and I assume, Opentx works in a similar manner):
as soon as you activate the trainer function via the trainer menu the value of a (master) stick is replaced with the value of the student channel value. That means stick value and student value are identical. But at least in ER9x/Ersky9x in addition, the student values are available as mixer sources via PPMx names.
The possible solution is not to use the trainer menue but add mixer lines, one for the stick value and one for the student channel value and select one or the other with a switch.

Reinhard

cbf123

Post by cbf123 »

Jthornton: take a look at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=9

It basically bypasses the built-in "trainer sticks" functionality and chooses either the student or the instructor signal in the "inputs" page. (Note that they're using RETA channel order.)

They sum up the absolute value of Rud/Ele/Ail on the instructor radio to decide whether to use the instructor's sticks.

There are some fancier versions in the last couple pages of that thread that do things like automatically switch control to the instructor if the student signal is lost.
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

cbf123 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:58 pm Jthornton: take a look at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=9

There are some fancier versions in the last couple pages of that thread that do things like automatically switch control to the instructor if the student signal is lost.
OpenTX will give an audio warning if the trainer signal is lost and automatically return control to the master transmitter. Its clever stuff! You don't need to program anything.

Return to “openTx”