Switchless trainer mode?

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
interestingfellow

Switchless trainer mode?

Post by interestingfellow »

Is there a way to set up automatic control hand off for buddy boxing and open TX?
What I mean is, I'd like to take off with my helicopter, push/release a momentary button to hand control off to the slave, and if I move one of the sticks/a certain amount then I want control automatically handed back to the master.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Jeti's do this.

Does this exist in otx?

Kilrah

Re: Switchless trainer mode?

Post by Kilrah »

Don't have a reference at hand, but some people have definitely been setiting things up that way.
interestingfellow

DO you have any links or specific search terms? i don't know what this is called or referred to and I'm drowning in a sea of useless search results.

Thanks, K!
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I have done that for ER9x, but I assume it is possible in OpenTx also

It's done mostly in the trainer menu where the slave channels replace the radio channel under certain conditions
that are made via some logical switches.

L1 |v| < val Rud 5 AIL
L2 |v| < val Ele 5 AIL
L3 OR L5 TRN AIL
L4 |v| < val Ail 5 AIL
L5 v<val THR -95 AIL

in the Trainer menu
Rud := 100 CH1 L1
Ele := 100 CH2 L2
Thr := 100 CH3 L3
Ail := 100 CH4 L4

and in Model Setup - General - activate option "Trainer"

First of all, L1-L5 can only be activated when Ail switch is activ. This is the master switch to allow the students radio to do anything.

L1, L2, L4 are active, as long as the absolut value of the corresponding stick is less than 5 (untouched neutral position).
Trainer menu says, replace the radio stick value with the student's stickvalue, as long as the corresponding teacher switch is active (stick in neutral position). In other words, as soon as the teachers stick is moved, the switch is deactivated and the students channel value is no longer used, teacher has control.

The throttle channel must be controlled a little bit different, as it's "neutral" probably is at minimum position. Therefore L5 is activated as long as the value is less than -95. But that also means, if you take control over the throttle channel, you have go to minimum position stopping the motor for a short moment to give control back to the student.
That's the reason for logic switch L3.
Basically the output is the same as L5, because it is an OR. As long as one of the two switches (L5, TRN) is active, L3 is also active (and allows the students control). But, if you want to give throttle control back to the student when your throttle stick is, let's say at 80% (L5 is inactive), you toggle and hold the trainer switch. L3 is activated again and the student controls the throttle. Holding trainer switch still activ, pull your throttle stick back to mimimum and release the trainer switch. That gives you a smooth transition from teacher to student.

Reinhard
interestingfellow

Well, I'm overwhelmed as I've done nothing so complicated with logical switches. I will take some time to carefully read that.

I also found this thread that may be what I'm looking for, as well, but will have to take some time to more carefully read it.

Thanks, y'all!
I'lll report back my findings/solution when I get one.

thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

Yes it can be done, I use it and it works well. I use the version provided by Lapinfou further down the topic. Checked it with the latest version of OpenTX, 2.3.11

See here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... k-Takeback

Return to “openTx”