Radioking TX18S Radio

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
wbs1979

Radioking TX18S Radio

Post by wbs1979 »

Gentlemen,
I have been trying to get my radio to bind to a Flysky FS-iA6B receiver.
Good tutorial on you tube concerning this.

I follow the multi-protocol setting Flysky2A (PWM SBUS) as instructed but will not bind to my radio.
The internal RF is set to on and I am running open tx 2.3.10 that came loaded in my radio.

I noticed that my module status showed V1.3.1.13 AETR; the guys in the video shows V1.3.1.36 AETR.
Does that matter?

I tried binding to a couple of my park flyers Super Cub 500 protocol (V761) and XK A800 Glider protocol (KN WLtoys) with no success.

Really frustrated, this is not hard to understand. Does this model radio have some issues binding.

Please help.

Cheers

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Radioking TX18S Radio

Post by MikeB »

Do you have the standard or the Lite version? I believe the Lite version only has one of the 4 Rf chips in it.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
wbs1979

Post by wbs1979 »

Mike,
Thanks for your response.
I have the lite version.
Very frustrated right now this radio will not bind to any of the receivers mentioned at the start of this post.

Nothing binds.

I can 't figure why no binding; radio says binding and makes a beeping sound but will not bind.

Any suggestions.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

AFHDS2A uses the A7105 chip, which isn't present in the Lite version.
If you wanted to use FlySky receivers then you needed the "full" version.

wbs1979

Post by wbs1979 »

Kilrah,
I understand now I do not have a 4 in 1 module.
I have the just the CC2500 as you listed .

Can you recommend out of the brands of receivers listed which you may have used and would recommend to use for 4 channel plane?
I did notice the Futaba receivers are pricey.

I am learning something new everyday.

Cheers.

richieg66

Re: RE: Re: Radioking TX18S Radio

Post by richieg66 »

wbs1979 wrote:Kilrah,
I understand now I do not have a 4 in 1 module.
I have the just the CC2500 as you listed .

Can you recommend out of the brands of receivers listed which you may have used and would recommend to use for 4 channel plane?
I did notice the Futaba receivers are pricey.

I am learning something new everyday.

Cheers.
I use Frsky RX6R and X8R receivers with my Radiomaster tx16 se which has the same CC2500. Note The RX6R is tiny with a miniscule bind button. The X8R is bigger and enclosed in a plastic case. The new Radiomaster receivers look good as well but I'm not sure about availability.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

sfjuoccekr

Post by sfjuoccekr »

Get this: https://www.banggood.com/Original-Jumpe ... mds=search

Plug it in and you will have R9 as well!
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

Personally - if you have a rear external module bay - buy a multi module for about $40 and plug that in ... saves messing about inside Tx ... and gives you a proper antenna.
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

As some know - I have tried erskyTX on the RK TX18S and it worked as per MikeB's advice. But my testing ability and knowledge is very limited - so I am waiting for someone more able to work with MikeB on it ...

While waiting _ I have been trying to get along with OPENTX ... and the more I try to use it - the more I find it frustrating.

Lets give an example :

I 3D printed the 50mm EDF Vulcan from RCGroups ... it has 4 surfaces to create the elevons. Each side has one inner large and one outer narrow control surface. Because of the different chords - they cannot be fed by one servo each side without a sliding peg system. I decided to go with alternative of 4 servos ... one for each surface. Ail R on Ch 1, Elev R on Ch 2, Ail L on Ch 5, Elev L on Ch 6
With erskyTX ... simple and when I set Dual Rates / Expo ... they all fell into line and worked in unison. I even could add a few lines to have the ID switch give reflex up ... This was all on my old 9xr radio ... easy peasy.

https://youtu.be/MVh5JmrScoE

So I thought - lets give openTX a go at it ... Oh Dear !! erskyTX did it easily but openTX was a nightmare.

With what appeared to be simple programming ended up with aileron function on all 4 ... but elevator only operating on 3 surfaces. Trims and Dual Rates only operated on 2 sets ...
Loading up in Companion - it then showed that Ch 5 and Ch 6 even though programmed via radio screen as same as 1 and 2 ... had in fact different source names ! Without Companion - it would have been near impossible to sort.

I still don't have the switchable reflex with openTX ...

I will persevere - but I really cannot see how openTX became preferred system ... the only factor that I like so far is the colour screen and presentation. But so far the programming itself sucks.

Sorry but that's my honest opinion.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx should be OK on the TX18S. Most of the firmware is common to all other radios running erskyTx, it is just a few things like the odd switch and/or button that is different and I think I have those sorted. As long as the internal module is controlling the servos you should be good to go.
With openTx, I believe you need to use INPUTS to set up dual rates, then set mixes to use an INPUT instead of a stick.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

Yes that's the rub ... where erskyTX is nice and straightforward - openTX splits Inputs and mixes. This split causes interactions that make it hard to find where an error lies.
When setting up first simple 4ch model with openTX - I could not figure out why Trims were operating opposite to stick direction. Reason ? I hade put -100% in wrong section INPUTS ..... where you should only have +ve range. If need to reverse output - it should be done in MIXES ....
Why the need to split ? Seems to just add an extra level unnecessarily.
Safe Motor Cut ... where erskyTX has a one line safety Switch entry - openTX uses THREE lines to achieve same !!

What I find hard to understand is why openTX which was originally derived and split of from er9x became so un-user friendly !

I know it sounds daft ... but if the presentation colour and graphics of openTX was married to the far better workings of erskyTX - then I reckon not only I but many others would be very happy. I also understand that is no easy undertaking.
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

I have a strange problem comes up now and again ...

Radio is on and I want to switch off .... I can use TWO buttons for instant OFF or my preferred way is ONE button with the slow switch off. I tend to think that anything 'computerised' prefers slow shut-down ....
Anyway - I hit one button ... the screen shows the segments circle shutting down .... then instead of full power off - I get Function 1 chicken foot lit up RED ... with nothing else - no screen etc. I hit both buttons .. left ... right button ... any switch / button ... still that F1 chicken foot lit up - then fgor no reason while pressing buttons - it will restart openTX ... where I can then shut down fully.

There is nothing I did different to switch off ... it happens occasionally ....
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In the Radio Setup|Display menu you may set the background colour and text colour:
screen1.jpg
screen1.jpg (20.08 KiB) Viewed 9582 times
I've been improving the layout of a couple of the main screens, and I've changed (improved?) the mid sized font (see the battery voltage and timer below):
screen2.jpg
screen2.jpg (38.89 KiB) Viewed 9582 times
screen3.jpg
screen3.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 9582 times
I'm looking into the creation of custom main screens, I have some very initial code that allows the layout to be chosen, now I need to allow the choice of contents.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
solentlife

Post by solentlife »

Hi Mike .... very much appreciated .... I really do not mean to be ungrateful in my posts.

I have 5 radios with your erXXX on them ... and the one TX18S with openTX on ...

I load up erskyTX on it when you say there's a change ... test as much as I can ( I really am not that good at it ... ) then put the openTX back on and try to come to terms with it ... I know - sounds daft !!
cbf123

Post by cbf123 »

solentlife wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:16 am Yes that's the rub ... where erskyTX is nice and straightforward - openTX splits Inputs and mixes. This split causes interactions that make it hard to find where an error lies.
As a computer programmer, what basic stuff I've seen of OpenTx makes sense to me. You have the inputs (the various switches and sticks/trims and sliders with expo and such), then the various mixes that can make use of any inputs, then the various outputs (with things like endpoint limits and subtrim that are related to physical things like servo centering and deflection).

I suspect the added complexity of openTx is related to added capabilities, such as being able to mix a stick with or without it's corresponding trims.

In your particular example an argument could be made that a weight of -100 on a stick input should probably result in the corresponding trims being reversed as well...although maybe there's a valid case where this would be wrong.
Nich61

Post by Nich61 »

So I'm hoping I'm at the right place to post this and I apologize if I'm not. I flashed my TX18s radio with open TX using the jumper 16. Yes I know, big mistake. When I push the power button B crow's feet move across the radio like normal right before the powers on, and then just goes out will not power on nothing. Now when I connect to my PC, It doesn't even recognize anything has been connected it just makes the sound. I cannot get it to go to Bootloader mode I cannot get it to do anything. There is no information on the SD card whatsoever. And it was working just fine before I flashed. Can someone please help me recover my radio content? I contacted the place of purchase and they were no help. And now I'm not sure what to do. I believe the term is bricked.
efeksk

Post by efeksk »

I EXPERIENCE THE SAME PROBLEM. CAN YOU FIND A SOLUTION?

Return to “openTx”